Speed Cams in L-Town?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, that same article that discussed the red light cameras quoted a local politician as saying he wanted speed cameras on Rt 5 in L-town. I have to wonder if he knows that state law prohibits these devices from anywhere except school zones. Which are defined by law as being 1/2 mile around schools.

RIght now, as far as I know, there is no marked school on Rt 5, although using Father Andrew White, you could make one there. So, will they make one that wasnt there before, soley to support putting cams up? It has happened all over MD. And quite often a speed limit change comes along with.

Watch how this works folks, making money on law enforcement is a grimy business.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Ryken

I agree with the need for stricter enforcement of the speed limit in Leonardtown, especially from the 245/5 intersection to Newtowne Neck Rd. You take your life in your hands trying to make a left turn onto 5, hell even right turns can be death defying sometimes.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Right, the existing limits should be enforced. But, are you okay with the expansion/creation of a school zone just for that? And are you okay with the county deploying a system with known accuracy issues? such that folks get tickets even when they are not speeding? But they are not allowed to argue that in court?

Lastly, if the fine is so small that folks are okay with paying it, a measly $40 bucks, then is it really a deterrent?

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
So, that same article that discussed the red light cameras quoted a local politician as saying he wanted speed cameras on Rt 5 in L-town. I have to wonder if he knows that state law prohibits these devices from anywhere except school zones. Which are defined by law as being 1/2 mile around schools.

RIght now, as far as I know, there is no marked school on Rt 5, although using Father Andrew White, you could make one there. So, will they make one that wasnt there before, soley to support putting cams up? It has happened all over MD. And quite often a speed limit change comes along with.

Watch how this works folks, making money on law enforcement is a grimy business.
We've got Leonardtown ES, FAW, Ryken, Leonardtown MS and Leonardtown HS. Going by the 1/2mile rule, there could be these speed cameras from Moll Dyer Rd/St Margarets Dr(bottom of hill before the MS/HS) all the way to Clarkes Rest Ln(just before PNC Bank/Cedars Point CU).

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Right, the existing limits should be enforced. But, are you okay with the expansion/creation of a school zone just for that? And are you okay with the county deploying a system with known accuracy issues? such that folks get tickets even when they are not speeding? But they are not allowed to argue that in court?

Lastly, if the fine is so small that folks are okay with paying it, a measly $40 bucks, then is it really a deterrent?
Why do you say this glh?

glhs837

Power with Control
Because in a lot of MD counties and municipalities, they have done exactly that. Taken a school like Lex Park Elementary, and made a school zone on Great Mills Road. No real connection between the students and the roadway, but it's higher trafic and makes more money. Heck, in Baltimore, they even used a school that was shut down:)

School zones that were about 200-300 feet out from the schools driveway (think Park Hall E.) and the same speed limit as the other parts of the road? Suddenly the zone expands to the full half mile and the limit drops by 10mph.

Thats why I said that. As far as I know, we have had no issues with anyone being injured due to speeding in a school zone (although that SMCM student thing might count), so why would we consider it? Money, thats it in a nutshell. We are not solving a traffic problem, but making money.

awpitt

Main Streeter
So, that same article that discussed the red light cameras quoted a local politician as saying he wanted speed cameras on Rt 5 in L-town. I have to wonder if he knows that state law prohibits these devices from anywhere except school zones. Which are defined by law as being 1/2 mile around schools. .

Which local politician?

You sure about that? Where, in the Annotated Code, does it say that?

dave1959

Because in a lot of MD counties and municipalities, they have done exactly that. Taken a school like Lex Park Elementary, and made a school zone on Great Mills Road. No real connection between the students and the roadway, but it's higher trafic and makes more money. Heck, in Baltimore, they even used a school that was shut down:)

School zones that were about 200-300 feet out from the schools driveway (think Park Hall E.) and the same speed limit as the other parts of the road? Suddenly the zone expands to the full half mile and the limit drops by 10mph.

Thats why I said that. As far as I know, we have had no issues with anyone being injured due to speeding in a school zone although that SMCM student thing might count), so why would we consider it? Money, thats it in a nutshell. We are not solving a traffic problem, but making money.

So speed enforcement should only be done in areas that have had a speed related injury ??

glhs837

Power with Control
Guys, which part of "known and documented issues with accuracy" isnt sinking in. and that being the case, its not as simple as dont speed, dont get a ticket. The system mosst commonly chosen, Optotraffic, is using a mast mounted dual laser sensor that has issues with wind and oddly shaped vehicle, like ones with roof racks or large vehicles.

So, if I demonstrate that the system has issues, will you still be so accepting of them?

Oh, and it is Commisioner Dan Morris

SoMdNews.com: Red-light cameras considered along Route 235

Morris said he also supports speed-enforcement cameras in Leonardtown along Route 5 where the speed limit is 40 mph, which the town is looking into.

Morris said he would also support speed cameras around schools. “I think that’s a wise thing to do.

Sounds well meaning, but ill informed

Last edited:

dave1959

Guys, which part of "known and documented issues with accuracy" isnt sinking in. and that being the case, its not as simple as dont speed, dont get a ticket. The system mosst commonly chosen, Optotraffic, is using a mast mounted dual laser sensor that has issues with wind and oddly shaped vehicle, like ones with roof racks or large vehicles.

So, if I demonstrate that the system has issues, will you still be so accepting of them?

Oh, and it is Commisioner Dan Morris

SoMdNews.com: Red-light cameras considered along Route 235

Sounds well meaning, but ill informed

What part of, don't speed, don't get a ticket, don't YOU understand..You are using the accuracy issue as a justification for bad driving.

The fact is if you drive properly your chances of getting an unwarranted ticked are nill...the people who "test" the system are the ones with a problem.

itsrequired

Starting at the Hospital going south. Leonardtown elementary school is likely less than a half mile as the crow flies. Father Andrew White/Leonard Hall Jr. Naval Academy. Ryken. Leonardtown Middle and Leonardtown High School.

glhs837

Power with Control
What part of, don't speed, don't get a ticket, don't YOU understand..You are using the accuracy issue as a justification for bad driving.

The fact is if you drive properly your chances of getting an unwarranted ticked are nill...the people who "test" the system are the ones with a problem.

Not at all, there have been multiple instances, documented by local news agencies, of the system ticketing vehicles that physically could not have achieved the speeds they were accused of doing. Another man datalogged his drives, and luckily for him, had logs showing that at the exact time of the citation, he was not exceeding the speed limit.

The Town of Cheverly, in fact, just broke its contract with this compnay due to inaccuracy of the systems and the companies refusal to acknowledge that. This isnt internet hype, its verified facts.

Business owner casts reasonable doubt on accuracy of speed cameras - Washington Times

Maryland Speed Cameras: Optotraffic Contract with Cheverly Canceled, Town Records Expose Camera Errors

Do the reading, see if it all hangs together. This is why law enforcement for profit is a bad idea. Pretty soon the profit becomes more important than the law.

I'm okay with folks speeding getting tickets, no problem with that. But these things are not accurate, deny you a chance to argue your case in court, and dont solve any problems except budgetary ones.

So again, I ask you, if I demonstrate that the system cannot be trusted to accurately determine speed, would you still be so adamant in your support?

glhs837

Power with Control
Starting at the Hospital going south. Leonardtown elementary school is likely less than a half mile as the crow flies. Father Andrew White/Leonard Hall Jr. Naval Academy. Ryken. Leonardtown Middle and Leonardtown High School.

I was thinking more of the north side, from Burchmart down to Food Lion. Thats traditionally where the speeding is the worst, I think.

L

letmetellyou

Not at all, there have been multiple instances, documented by local news agencies, of the system ticketing vehicles that physically could not have achieved the speeds they were accused of doing. Another man datalogged his drives, and luckily for him, had logs showing that at the exact time of the citation, he was not exceeding the speed limit.

The Town of Cheverly, in fact, just broke its contract with this compnay due to inaccuracy of the systems and the companies refusal to acknowledge that. This isnt internet hype, its verified facts.

Business owner casts reasonable doubt on accuracy of speed cameras - Washington Times

Maryland Speed Cameras: Optotraffic Contract with Cheverly Canceled, Town Records Expose Camera Errors

Do the reading, see if it all hangs together. This is why law enforcement for profit is a bad idea. Pretty soon the profit becomes more important than the law.

I'm okay with folks speeding getting tickets, no problem with that. But these things are not accurate, deny you a chance to argue your case in court, and dont solve any problems except budgetary ones.

So again, I ask you, if I demonstrate that the system cannot be trusted to accurately determine speed, would you still be so adamant in your support?

Is there no hearing to contest these tickets? I received a red light ticket in D.C. one time and contested it and won.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was thinking more of the north side, from Burchmart down to Food Lion. Thats traditionally where the speeding is the worst, I think.

State troopers were running radar through there on Wednesday. I saw three cars get pulled over. :lol:

dave1959

Yes...You can't demonstrate the accuracy, All you are doing is repeating what you have read. What makes your readings more accurate then those that promote the system. Are there problems, Yes.. Are they perfect, No...But nothing else in life is 100% accurate and error free all the time either.

Enforcement for profit...ABSO-F'N-LUTELY..The whole criminal justice system should be self-supporting. Those that break the laws should pay..

I am going to have to stand by my feelings that if you drive properly, no speeding, no tailgating, no abrupt lane changes ect, ect...you chances of having a problem with a camera or a LIVE officer is next to nothing.

I agree to disagree....:buddies:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Yes...You can't demonstrate the accuracy, All you are doing is repeating what you have read. What makes your readings more accurate then those that promote the system. Are there problems, Yes.. Are they perfect, No...But nothing else in life is 100% accurate and error free all the time either.

Enforcement for profit...ABSO-F'N-LUTELY..The whole criminal justice system should be self-supporting. Those that break the laws should pay..

I am going to have to stand by my feelings that if you drive properly, no speeding, no tailgating, no abrupt lane changes ect, ect...you chances of having a problem with a camera or a LIVE officer is next to nothing.

I agree to disagree....:buddies:
:yeahthat: Plus isn't it true that they only ticket you for 12 over the limit?