Bean Soup

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
A diced onion, a couple of diced carrots, and some micro-diced celery as well as a bayleaf. At the end, depending on if I need to thicken it up or thin it down, it may or may not need a can of drained Rotel tomatoes.

luvmygdaughters

Thanks to all. I've got my hambone with some nice slices of ham, onions, carrots and diced tomatoes, never thought about rotel but I will give it a try. I also put a little hot sauce in mine. :elaine: Also got some good french bread rolls to go with it. :drool: Who wants a bowl?:buddies:

Roman

Thanks to all. I've got my hambone with some nice slices of ham, onions, carrots and diced tomatoes, never thought about rotel but I will give it a try. I also put a little hot sauce in mine. :elaine: Also got some good french bread rolls to go with it. :drool: Who wants a bowl?:buddies:

The Rotel will also add a little more spiciness to the Soup, so be careful. I like mine spicey.

Catman2

Here is the KEY to thicken your BS.....don't tell anyone.....to thicken it without strange ingrediants...take a cup or so of the cooked beans and some liquid (soup), and puree and return to the pot.......thick.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Mixed beans by themselves can be delectable indeed, without additions. But our palates are easily bored, and so here's what I think, based on using dried beans and boiling them to softness per the package directions:

Let the natural flavor of the beans to get really full. Give the beans a chance to tell you what they taste like. Add a small amount of browned ground sausage or beef, and a little bit of Emeril's essence. If that's not available, add onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and perhaps basil. Be very careful about balance. Keep tasting. Pick a potato or pasta accompaniment to go with your masterpiece.

Try to balance spice with flavor, and think about what you're serving with your concoction, and make it all compatible.

When it's all beautiful, you can add noodles to the mix or cook them separately, and then prepare to serve them as the starch with green stuff on the side.

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

I use one from a Honey Ham. Leave some meat on it. Cook in the crock (soak the dry beans overnight then boil them before crocking). Serve with a dash of apple cider vinegar.

Thanks to all, the soup turned out FANTASTIC. I had a recipe that my Mother used, but couldnt find it. I used tomatos, onions, carrots, liquid smoke, A/C vinegar, tobascco sauce. I had a sprial sliced honey ham with a nice bone and plenty of ham left on it. put it in my crockpot and it smelled delicious and tasted wonderful. Thanks again to all for the ideas. If the Forumites ever have another meet and greet, I'll bring some for everyone.