Open question to all "native" Marylanders.

Bunnieman

And transplants need not answer.

Here's the question. In MD drivers education do they teach anything about getting up to the speed of traffic before attempting to merge in traffic or do they teach "get on at 10mph and hope that they stop and the use of the turn signal is optional"

Im going with the second choice because in my 12 years in the state, I have yet to see a native MD driver "merge" on to any public road, highway or freeway other than the above "durp-der-lurp" style.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch

Here's the question. In MD drivers education do they teach anything about getting up to the speed of traffic before attempting to merge in traffic or do they teach "get on at 10mph and hope that they stop and the use of the turn signal is optional"

Im going with the second choice because in my 12 years in the state, I have yet to see a native MD driver "merge" on to any public road, highway or freeway other than the above "durp-der-lurp" style.

I slam it to the floor, if you have to slow down before I get up so speed, sorry :buddies: You should cut me a break if you see I'm trying to merge.......

Last edited:

kk2187

Did I miss the memo to get a bumper sticker saying I'm a "native" Marylander? How are you telling them apart from foreign Marylanders while driving?

Vince

They also teach tailgating as an elective. :lol:

luvmygdaughters

:yeahthat:
How do you know they are a "native MD driver"?
Okay........you must be from the state that teaches all its drivers to speed up when you see someone trying to merge into traffic or change lanes. I was born and raised in MD. Took Drivers Ed in High School many many moons ago. Taught to use the acceleration lane to aquire proper speed before merging and deceleration lane to slow down before making turn or taking an exit as not to impede the flow of traffic.:coffee:

red_explorer

Yep

:yeahthat: Okay........you must be from the state that teaches all its drivers to speed up when you see someone trying to merge into traffic or change lanes. I was born and raised in MD. Took Drivers Ed in High School many many moons ago. Taught to use the acceleration lane to aquire proper speed before merging and deceleration lane to slow down before making turn or taking an exit as not to impede the flow of traffic.:coffee:

That's the way I was taught....and I am definitely a native.

awpitt

Main Streeter

We were taught to use the acceleration lane to get up to speed before merging and to use the deceleration lane to slow down before turning off the main road. In my experience, the times when I've encountered screwed up drivers has always been in areas with a high number of "transplants" or transients.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed

Driver's Ed in the 1970's in Maryland (at least in Montgomery County) was taught via public school using cars donated by car dealers. That pertains a little bit because, with the decentralization and commercialization of Driver's Ed, I've noticed that interpretations of rules of the road will curl your hair and turn it white.

But in the 1970's, I was taught to hit the gas as I approached the last third of the curving entrance ramp of a cloverleaf, and be up to the posted highway speed limit as I came out of the ramp. Merging was NOT safe if you weren't (a) up to speed and (b) moving into a hole in traffic.

In the 2000's, someone has started teaching that your desire to merge is a problem to be dealt with by those who otherwise have the right-of-way. Of course. We must all accommodate in a spirit of tolerance, even those who like to merge into 50+ mph traffic doing 25 (or from a dead stop).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:yeahthat: Okay........you must be from the state that teaches all its drivers to speed up when you see someone trying to merge into traffic or change lanes. I was born and raised in MD. Took Drivers Ed in High School many many moons ago. Taught to use the acceleration lane to aquire proper speed before merging and deceleration lane to slow down before making turn or taking an exit as not to impede the flow of traffic.:coffee:

That. And been here all of my 50+ years. :howdy: That said..when I took drivers ed in HS, ramps and merge/turn lanes were kinda rare.

The Dude

You mean coitus?
The roads were dirt before the transplants came

This is a great response, and the SMIBS on the forum would say that it was better that way. What's funny is that those are also the same people who are afraid of technology and still don't like running water in their homes and love their 10 oz beers!

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
This is a great response, and the SMIBS on the forum would say that it was better that way. What's funny is that those are also the same people who are afraid of technology and still don't like running water in their homes and love their 10 oz beers!

:bs:

BOP

And yet, they somehow manage to find their way onto a computer.

:coffee: