I find the Noah's Ark story creepy

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
...especially when the Ark iconography is used in decorating kids' rooms. I saw some of this when we were picking out stuff for our older daughter's room before she was born. The Ark story seems to treat widespread death and destruction as a happy event. What kind of message does that send to kids? "Everyone on Earth was bad, so God killed them all." I'd hate for my 2-year-old to think I'd have Moose and Rocco fit her for cement shoes if she throws her milk cup.

Many religions have a Flood story, and many scholars believe that there was a major flood in human prehistory. In fact, there's evidence of ancient cities at the bottom of the Black Sea. Geologists have theorized that this body of water was once a smaller inland lake, and rising ocean levels after the last Ice Age flooded over the straits at what is now Turkey.

D

darkriver4362

I agree with ya Tonio...It just seems strange to me. Plus I'm sure the people back then were no where as near as bad as the people out today. The flood could have been caused by anything from an asteroid, to the melting of the ice, to a tidal wave...ya know?

ceo_pte

It could have been caused by rain! :rolleyes:

Did you know that before the Flood, it had never rained before. The water/mist always came-up from the ground. Rain had never fallen from the sky/clouds before that time.

D

darkriver4362

So all of a sudden someone wanted to switch up the whooole mood of the earth, and make the majical water fall from the sky?

K

Kain99

Originally posted by ceo_pte
It could have been caused by rain! :rolleyes:

Did you know that before the Flood, it had never rained before. The water/mist always came-up from the ground. Rain had never fallen from the sky/clouds before that time.
Never heard that one before... Way to take an already unbelieveable story and make it just outrageous. :frown:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I think you're reading too much into it. The story of Noah is one of the less creepy one's if you ask me. Though I'm a very strong Christian I don't believe most of the biblical stories. I think they're fabals (did I spell that right?) to teach us lessons. I hardly think that they were actual events though some may have been based on actual events.

The story of Noah doesn't bother me a bit though. To me (any maybe I over simplify things) it more a less a story of "crime and punishment" "for every action there is a reaction". I knew the story of Noah growing up and I never once thought I would be slain for spilling a cup of milk. Matter of facts kids swing far further to the other side. They all think they're invincible and that nothing bad can happen to them.

As everyone knows my son's name is Noah. At my baby shower I thought it was cheesey as hell that everyone bought Noah's Ark stuff. My mom and ex MIL being the WORST offenders thinking they were being cute. But hadn't his name been Noah then I would have considered using Noah's Ark as a theme.

ceo_pte

The main problem I have with geologist and most of their assumptions is there way of dating items. Carbon dating is based on someones assumptions. The foundation for determining how old something is was arbitrarily picked. I do believe dinosaurs existed, but I don't think the Earth is no more than about 6000 years old.

The big bang is such a hoax... If you understand the basic molecule then you will understand why I say it is a hoax.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by darkriver4362
Plus I'm sure the people back then were no where as near as bad as the people out today.
How do you know that? Can you imagine how bad people must have been for their Creator to want to destroy them. How bad would your children have to be before you would feel truly justified in killing them all? (I know all you parents out there are thinking you wanna kill your kids everyday, you know what I mean :rolleyes: )

K

Kain99

The main problem I have with geologist and most of their assumptions is there way of dating items. Carbon dating is based on someones assumptions. The foundation for determining how old something is was arbitrarily picked. I do believe dinosaurs existed, but I don't think the Earth is no more than about 6000 years old.

The big bang is such a hoax... If you understand the basic molecule then you will understand why I say it is a hoax.
OK here's my spin... I believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth. It doesn't make a rats azz bit of difference to me if he did it with an explosion or a simple wave of his magic wand. What's the big effing deal and why do Christians get so bent out of shape over the issue?

D

darkriver4362

CMC, I just beleive that there was a natural disaster, that somone took way out of proportion...I do not think that the "creator" had anything to do with it.

ceo...the earth is over 6000 years old, easy....it's called looking at the evolution of technology and artifacts...it's easy to point out the differeances between cave men, native american, and say roman technology of the day....it took over 6000 years to go from living in a cave like bin Ladin to being an established society with running water(Yes the romans had that)

ceo_pte

Originally posted by pixiegirl
I think you're reading too much into it. The story of Noah is one of the less creepy one's if you ask me. Though I'm a very strong Christian I don't believe most of the biblical stories. I think they're fabals (did I spell that right?) to teach us lessons. I hardly think that they were actual events though some may have been based on actual events.

The story of Noah doesn't bother me a bit though. To me (any maybe I over simplify things) it more a less a story of "crime and punishment" "for every action there is a reaction". I knew the story of Noah growing up and I never once thought I would be slain for spilling a cup of milk. Matter of facts kids swing far further to the other side. They all think they're invincible and that nothing bad can happen to them.

As everyone knows my son's name is Noah. At my baby shower I thought it was cheesey as hell that everyone bought Noah's Ark stuff. My mom and ex MIL being the WORST offenders thinking they were being cute. But hadn't his name been Noah then I would have considered using Noah's Ark as a theme.

Exactly... Most of the things that are put-up in Kids rooms are just pictures of the Ark and the animals... I view it as a great thing to put-up in any childs room. Pixie, you are speaking of Justice which correlates exactly with Newton's Third Law, "for every action there is an equal, but opposite reaction." It all makes since to me. This disproves the Big Bang as well as the 1st Law, "An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force."

K

Kain99

O.K. Ceo you went from it never rained to some way out there statement about the Big Bang. Care to engage in a rational conversation or shall we just wait for you to grace us with your next obscure idea?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by pixiegirl

I agree, that a lot of what's in the Bible falls under the category of fables, but I disagree about the Noah story. Like Tonio said, many cultures have a flood story in their history. I really, truly believe there was a big flood and that most of humankind that existed at that time was wiped out. I'm not sure I believe in a big boat, but I do think that some people were smart enough to see the signs that trouble was coming and they took precautions, moved to higher ground or something.

The word ark, doesn't necessarily mean boat. It means "vessel" but that could mean a large container. Maybe the man, called Noah, built a big azz structure high on a mountian and took his family and animals and barricaded themselves inside. :shrug:

I think the Noah story is one of hope. No matter how bad things get, mankind will survive.

ceo_pte

Originally posted by Kain99
OK here's my spin... I believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth. It doesn't make a rats azz bit of difference to me if he did it with an explosion or a simple wave of his magic wand. What's the big effing deal and why do Christians get so bent out of shape over the issue?

I'm not bent out of shape, just gave my opinion with some reasons. :biggrin:

K

Kain99

"An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force."
OMG in heaven I totally missed this! :killingme

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I have never heard of this before. Where in the bible does it say this?

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Ehesef
I have never heard of this before. Where in the bible does it say this?
Psst! It doesn't! This comes from the book of Ceo_Pte:biggrin: