'Father of Loud' Jim Marshall dies, aged 88

Misfit

Lawful neutral
'Father of Loud' Jim Marshall dies, aged 88 | Adelaide Now

JIM Marshall, the man whose guitar amplifiers earned him the nickname "the father of Loud", has died aged 88.

A statement on his company's website said: "It is with profound sorrow that we announce the passing of our beloved founder and leader for the past 50 years, Jim Marshall. While mourning the Guv'nor though, we also salute a legendary man who led a full and truly remarkable life."

"While the entire Marshall Amplification family mourns Jim's passing and will miss him tremendously, we all feel richer for having known him and are happy in the knowledge that he is now in a much better place which has just got a whole lot louder."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
In a world ridden with hyperbole, it is not too much to say that one of the absolute indispensable legends of rock and roll has passed.

Leo Fender had a great idea for a rock and roll amp and Jim Marshall took it and ran, like a madman, with it.

The image of Marshall amps, of walls of cabinets, and, most importantly, the sound, the tone, of Marshall amps, man, rock and roll would have happened without him but, nothing has come close to having the impact, sonically, on so many guitar players and so many songs for so long. There are not very many words, single words, you can say and nothing more needs to be said in the music industry. Elvis. Jimi. Zeppelin. There just aren't that many. Marshall is one of them.

Rest in peace, but, not too much, James Charles Marshall, while the rest of us celebrate your memory and play it long and play it ####ing loud. :buddies:

:larry:

Attachments

• 4onthefloor-20100313-1218.jpg
    4onthefloor-20100313-1218.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 74

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Even though I'm pretty sure that Zeppelin used mostly 'oragne' amps.

To my knowledge, Elvis never got near a Marshall. I was using them as an example of single words that needed no further description.

And Page used Marshalls. A lot.

:buddies:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Growing up I could never afford a Marshall. But they have always been central to everything I've known in music. There were other bands around that had them and I'd just admire their fat sound.

There are so few REAL behind-the-scenes icons in the music industry that have had such a huge impact as Jim Marshall. Les Paul immediately comes to mind.

The music world just became a lot more empty.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Growing up I could never afford a Marshall. But they have always been central to everything I've known in music. There were other bands around that had them and I'd just admire their fat sound.

There are so few REAL behind-the-scenes icons in the music industry that have had such a huge impact as Jim Marshall. Les Paul immediately comes to mind.

Could be worth it.
There's a white 1960A 4x12 cab at the auction house tonight. I'm not sure that it's rare but you don't see that many white ones.
Near the top of the page on the right.
Southern Maryland Auctions :: Chesapeake MarketPlace

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Marshalls made me a better player. For years, I got away from them in search of ever more over drive and distortion because it sounded soooo good. I just didn't sound very good on a Marshall unless I added lots of pedals. Then, about 8 years ago, I got a chance to gig with my best friend and play a bunch of his old tunes live and everything he ever did was on Marshalls and he ALWAYS sounded like a million bucks, a tone, on the same damn amps and cabs, I couldn't approach. Granted, he's a pro and I'm a hack but, come on! :lol: His second favorite head of all time is my 2204. Freaking thing is a monster.

In any event, in getting ready for this show, I practiced my ass off and, in doing so, I finally got good enough to sound good over a Marshall. Eureka! It seems Marshall, as much as anything, was the demarcation point between wannabe and actually being able to play.

So, for what it's worth, Jim Marshall made me a much better guitar player than I would have been otherwise.

But, I still don't sound anywhere near as good as my friend on them. They, Marshall's just bring out ALL the nuance in ones playing. You have got to have solid touch and solid skill or it is PAIN.

:larry:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Could be worth it.
There's a white 1960A 4x12 cab at the auction house tonight. I'm not sure that it's rare but you don't see that many white ones.
Near the top of the page on the right.
Southern Maryland Auctions :: Chesapeake MarketPlace

Nothing special other than the white. It's got 75 watt speakers in it, the "H" mode, IIRC. Greenbacks are where it's at for classic tone.

Not knocking it. Just saying, other than being white, nothing unusual or special there.

:buddies:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
I emailed a bid for the Marshall on Friday evening for $75. I figured what the heck, worst case I'll have an awesome amp stand. Anyway, I received an e-mail today with an apology saying they didn't notice the email until the next day and that it sold for $25.:ohwell:

Hank

my war
Never a fan of the Marshall stack sound for myself... Always cracks me up seeing dudes in local bands load in Marshall Stacks to play a small club, like they are playing the frickin' Cap Centre... :lmao:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Marshall's are loud. And expensive. And heavy.

RIP, dude. My ears are still ringing from my last Roger Waters concert......Marshalls' or not.......the sound remains the same.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I emailed a bid for the Marshall on Friday evening for $75. I figured what the heck, worst case I'll have an awesome amp stand. Anyway, I received an e-mail today with an apology saying they didn't notice the email until the next day and that it sold for $25.:ohwell:

Wwhhhhhhaaaaatttt???????????????????