The five brightest planets are gathering in the evening sky

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The show begins on March 22nd at sundown. Find a place where you can see the western horizon, and before the sky fades completely black, start looking for Mercury. It's that bright "star" shining through the rosy glow of the setting Sun. You can walk outside after dinner, and without any kind of telescope, see Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/19mar_planets.htm?list625702

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
thanks, i'm breaking out my new reflector. have been able to see saturn, but i think i need to collimate properly to see it better. UGH!

Toxick

Splat
Is there any place in St. Mary's county where you can see the Western Horizon?

One of the things I really don't like about living around here. Very few views of the horizon.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by Toxick

One of the things I really don't like about living around here. Very few views of the horizon.

sneak into greenwell state park? or maybe the base if you have a base pass

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Toxick

I can see it off my (2nd story) deck in M-ville. :yay: just climb up on your roof! :biggrin:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sunset, view west, anywhere along the Potomac should give the best unobstructed view with the lowest horizon elevation. The river is widest near Point Lookout.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I saw one really bright one tonight when we were out in 7th. The rest kinda blended in after that. Pretty cool!

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
caught 4 of them early this evening. cool. also got a chance to check out the moon. at least a little part of it.