Ugly Sotterley slave Plantation.

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Some people try to claim that the Sotterley Plantation is so beautiful and nice but it is the ugliest place in all of St Mary's County. It is ugly because Sotterley is built upon the most brutal hatred that the USA has ever known, it was built by violent exploitation and by cruel butchery and by sinful greed.

The supporters always brag about the Sotterley slave cabin on the property, but that was the cabin for for the house slaves, while the field slaves lived and labored in far worse conditions.

The bigger wrong of financing and supporting the Sotterley Plantation is not the slavery but the horrible process of glamorizing the slave Masters, and of glamorizing the Master's Mansion as if it is some noble or honorable place which it is not. Of course many people like to refer to it as "history" and "Historic" as if being "history" makes it all okay, but that is not accurate because the Sotterley Plantation is presenting that "history" in a dishonest way as in a pack of lies. The people who built and maintained the Sotterley Plantation did not do the work, they did not earn the money or the wealth, as the Masters of Sotterley were really sinful and barbaric persons.

It would be different and would be better if that ugly Plantation building were torn down, and maybe build some decent place on the property, as like build a school or a nursing home there, so then the entire St Mary's population could take pride into the property, instead of the now one-sided praise given to honor that slave Plantation which it does not deserve. That kind of ugly history needed to have been left to rot or buried and disposed of, instead of praising it or sustaining it as a true embarrassment to the other part of our community who reject it and denounce it.

:patriot::biteme:

Some people try to claim that the Sotterley Plantation is so beautiful and nice but it is the ugliest place in all of St Mary's County. It is ugly because Sotterley is built upon the most brutal hatred that the USA has ever known, it was built by violent exploitation and by cruel butchery and by sinful greed.

The supporters always brag about the Sotterley slave cabin on the property, but that was the cabin for for the house slaves, while the field slaves lived and labored in far worse conditions.

The bigger wrong of financing and supporting the Sotterley Plantation is not the slavery but the horrible process of glamorizing the slave Masters, and of glamorizing the Master's Mansion as if it is some noble or honorable place which it is not. Of course many people like to refer to it as "history" and "Historic" as if being "history" makes it all okay, but that is not accurate because the Sotterley Plantation is presenting that "history" in a dishonest way as in a pack of lies. The people who built and maintained the Sotterley Plantation did not do the work, they did not earn the money or the wealth, as the Masters of Sotterley were really sinful and barbaric persons.

It would be different and would be better if that ugly Plantation building were torn down, and maybe build some decent place on the property, as like build a school or a nursing home there, so then the entire St Mary's population could take pride into the property, instead of the now one-sided praise given to honor that slave Plantation which it does not deserve. That kind of ugly history needed to have been left to rot or buried and disposed of, instead of praising it or sustaining it as a true embarrassment to the other part of our community who reject it and denounce it.

Ohh lordy!

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Being part of the Sotterley restoration crew was one of the greatest jobs I ever had. Paid well too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh what the hell...

JP, do you not feel that Sotterley is a valuable reminder to us white folks of what we did when we enslaved the Africans, and to shame us? And does it not serve as a symbol to Africans to never allow whites to chain them again? I would think you'd be very much in favor of Sotterley Plantation as a museum, if nothing else. Little children go there for field trips and get a wonderful lesson on how evil whites can be - the tour guide is very clear about the sinful barbarism that went on there. Graphic, even, with lurid tales of beatings and rape. I'm surprised you've never taken the tour because it's very informative.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Would it not be better to preserve the place, present the history completely and accurately, rather than burying it, forgetting and possibly repeat the ugliness down the road?

Keep it for the same reason Dachau, Auschwitz, Birkenau and other such sites are preserved.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Being part of the Sotterley restoration crew was one of the greatest jobs I ever had. Paid well too.

Thank you for being a part of the team that helped our children to become more sensitive to race and tolerant of others. :yay:

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm really tired of hearing the same ol' same ol' rhetoric from JP on Sotterley.. Same words, same arguments, same uneducated drivel, different day.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Would it not be better to preserve the place, present the history completely and accurately, rather than burying it, forgetting and possibly repeat the ugliness down the road?

Keep it for the same reason Dachau, Auschwitz, Birkenau and other such sites are preserved.

:yay:

I have been to Dachau. Very moving.

CrashTest

Let's just tear down every place on earth that once hosted brutality. Hey dummy, click your heels and say "there's no place like home".

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm really tired of hearing the same ol' same ol' rhetoric from JP on Sotterley.. Same words, same arguments, same uneducated drivel, different day.

He probably posted this here because he only got 1 response (I believe) to his letter the the editor in the Enterprise.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My uncle Albert was in the 101st during the war, he'd never say which one (still chokes up these many years after), but he helped liberate one of the camps.

If he can never forget, I shall not, and a study of history shows me that no people on this green earth of ours is 100% without the stain of brutalizing their fellows. This reprehensible behavior continues today in a broad range of places around the world, perpetrated by a broad range of ethnicities.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
JPC, Is that any way to start out a thread...:biteme:? No one had even posted anything yet? Or, maybe you were just planning ahead on what people might post.:shrug:

I vote for not destroying historical buildings that may have existed during periods of slavery...which, by the way, would include the entire world!

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
My uncle Albert was in the 101st during the war, he'd never say which one (still chokes up these many years after), but he helped liberate one of the camps.

If he can never forget, I shall not, and a study of history shows me that no people on this green earth of ours is 100% without the stain of brutalizing their fellows. This reprehensible behavior continues today in a broad range of places around the world, perpetrated by a broad range of ethnicities.

"During the 101st's drive into southern Germany, the unit uncovered Kaufering IV, one of 11 camps in the Kaufering complex in the Landsberg region. The Kaufering complex was under the administration of the Dachau concentration camp. At its height, the camp held more than 3,600 prisoners, but in the days before U.S. troops arrived, the SS had evacuated many of the prisoners on a death march south in the direction of Dachau. Hundreds of inmates were too ill or weak to make the trek, so the SS guards set fire to the barracks to prevent their liberation by U.S. troops. When the 12th Armored Division and 101st Airborne Division arrived at Kaufering IV on April 27 and 28, respectively, the soldiers discovered some 500 dead inmates. In the days that followed, the U.S. Army units ordered the local townspeople to bury the dead. " Link.

RAT969

some people try to claim that the sotterley plantation is so beautiful and nice but it is the ugliest place in all of st mary's county. It is ugly because sotterley is built upon the most brutal hatred that the usa has ever known, it was built by violent exploitation and by cruel butchery and by sinful greed.

The supporters always brag about the sotterley slave cabin on the property, but that was the cabin for for the house slaves, while the field slaves lived and labored in far worse conditions.

The bigger wrong of financing and supporting the sotterley plantation is not the slavery but the horrible process of glamorizing the slave masters, and of glamorizing the master's mansion as if it is some noble or honorable place which it is not. Of course many people like to refer to it as "history" and "historic" as if being "history" makes it all okay, but that is not accurate because the sotterley plantation is presenting that "history" in a dishonest way as in a pack of lies. The people who built and maintained the sotterley plantation did not do the work, they did not earn the money or the wealth, as the masters of sotterley were really sinful and barbaric persons.

It would be different and would be better if that ugly plantation building were torn down, and maybe build some decent place on the property, as like build a school or a nursing home there, so then the entire st mary's population could take pride into the property, instead of the now one-sided praise given to honor that slave plantation which it does not deserve. That kind of ugly history needed to have been left to rot or buried and disposed of, instead of praising it or sustaining it as a true embarrassment to the other part of our community who reject it and denounce it.

meds?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Maybe it should be put back into full operation...

Everyone would be paid of course.

Or act as docents to teach people history so it doesn't repeat itself.

What about all the other existing plantations? Stratford Hall, Monticello, Washington's birthplace, and countless others? Does he expect the rest of those to be plowed under as well? Not to mention plenty of other homesteads/farms here in the county that had slaves.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Excellent.

But that place is not remembering the evil that was done on the Sotterley slave Plantation - no, it is presenting a picture as if it was some nice wonderful place which it is not.

Do we go to Dachaus and sing the praises of the German soldiers - certainly not, or do we go to Bataan and praise the Japanese army - certainly not, or do we go to the 16th Street Baptish Church and praise the Ku Klux Klan - certainly not, but here we go to the Sotterley slave plantation and they praise the white slave masters and praise the master's mansion and ignore the white crimes done there that built and maintained that horrible place.

What is being done at the Sotterley slave Plantation to glamorize the brutal racist white masters is dishonest and reprehensible.

:coffee:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Or act as docents to teach people history so it doesn't repeat itself.

What about all the other existing plantations? Stratford Hall, Monticello, Washington's birthplace, and countless others? Does he expect the rest of those to be plowed under as well? Not to mention plenty of other homesteads here in the county that had slaves.

:rolleyes:

We could bulldoze the Pyramids as well, built by slaves.

Better yet as many people feel they are owed something from that era, why not go find the decedents of the tribal leaders that sold the salves originally and bring them to justice. Might as well start at the source.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We could bulldoze the Pyramids as well, built by slaves.

Better yet as many people feel they are owed something from that era, why not go find the decedents of the tribal leaders that sold the salves originally and bring them to justice. Might as well start at the source.

Good point.

I guess the educational programs at Sotterley mean nothing.