Pentagon Defends Buying Helicopters From Russia

Odessa78

Pentagon Defends Buying helicopters From Russia Trader Aiding Assad

The Pentagon says it’s in a bind, with nowhere to turn for helicopters needed by Afghanistan’s air force except Russia, a top arms supplier to Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad.

The U.S. Army has a $375 million contract to buy 21 Russian-made MI-17 helicopters for the Afghans from Rosoboronexport, Russia’s state-run arms trader, Pentagon Undersecretary for Policy James Miller said in a previously undisclosed March 30 letter to a lawmaker opposed to the deal.

Pentagon Defends Buying From Russia Trader Aiding Assad - Bloomberg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Looks to me like the only two available choices (rational ones) were: Buy the Russian choppers or buy no choppers at all.

:whistle:

Looks to me like the only two available choices (rational ones) were: Buy the Russian choppers or buy no choppers at all.

:yeahthat:
Just like we're buying AK-47s and associated small arms from them for Afghanistan and Iraq. No point in giving them weapons they cannot fix. Give them what they are familiar with and capable of maintaining.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Seeing how we are going to be there probably fighting against the same helos and weapons we are getting them today.. I like the idea that they aren't getting our more capable aircraft..