Plan To Name NAVY Vessel after Harvey Milk

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm afraid to say that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard because then someone will come up with something dumber.

A California Democratic congressman is asking the Navy to name a ship after the late San Francisco lawmaker and gay activist Harvey Milk, but some of the strongest opposition appears to be from the gay community.

Push to name Navy vessel after Harvey Milk sparks criticism from gay community | Fox News

Dumb name for a ship. Really doesn't sound too bad a$$. Plus, I really don't think, just getting shot outside of combat is a very good qualifier. Same would go for Gifford. They should be named for military heros or at least those that support it. Maybe not a particular war, but the defense of the country in general.
I think there are a couple puns in there. Only one I like though.

glhs837

Power with Control
Naming Navy ships in the name of votes really ticks me off. And thats what the Chavez and Milk names are about.

Homer J

Power Chord
Second time they have done this. There should be some connection with the Navy.

Actually, Milk did serve in the Navy.

After graduation, Milk joined the United States Navy during the Korean War. He served aboard the submarine rescue ship USS Kittiwake (ASR-13) as a diving officer. He later transferred to Naval Station, San Diego to serve as a diving instructor.[4] In 1955, he was discharged from the Navy at the rank of lieutenant, junior grade.

Still doesn't mean he should have a ship named for him IMO.

glhs837

Power with Control
Actually, Milk did serve in the Navy.

Still doesn't mean he should have a ship named for him IMO.

I know, I saw that, and Chavez served also, in what later described as the two worst years of his life.

I misspoke, and should have said that their accomplishments should be Navy related. Chavez was famous for organizing Hispanic farm workers, Milk was famous for being gay and a politician, and getting shot for that. Neither of these things have any connection to the Navy.

Vince

I know, I saw that, and Chavez served also, in what later described as the two worst years of his life.

I misspoke, and should have said that their accomplishments should be Navy related. Chavez was famous for organizing Hispanic farm workers, Milk was famous for being gay and a politician, and getting shot for that. Neither of these things have any connection to the Navy.
But the liberals could care less as long as they get what they want in the name of "gays" or "hispanics" or whatever the latest crusade is.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
I think the idea of naming one after César Chávez still beats it.

Chavez was an avid follower of Sal Alinsky who wrote Rules for Radical which is an Obama favorite! Chavez like Obama was a Community Organizer! :starcat:

As for Harvey Milk, the irony is he was a strong anti-war protester, if alive he may not have wanted his name painted on the stern of a military vessel! :coffee:

With Obama opening up the military to openly gay service members, it's just a way of rubbing Hot Sauce in the eyes of the people who opposed it!

Last edited: