Autism in St. Mary's County

Amyk072

If you are new to the area and have had problems getting services for your autistic child, let's chat! Any parent with a special needs child in St. Mary's County Public School System is encouraged to post messages. If you suspect your child may be autistic or have any disabilities at all please post. Is anyone else out there? Information needed, resources shared, questions answered...whatever you have to say....sound off!

watercolor

yeah yeah
Is this a public service announcement or something? Just wondering, since the way it was worded..it seemed to be that you were trying to get someone to ralley up or something. Its all good when you want to talk about the school system or something, but the way this post is worded sounds odd. Also, you have to be very careful on what "resources you share" on here because, you could be shown as soliciting.

VinceD

I don't live in St. Mary's County, but over the bridge in Calvert. My son is autistic, and over the years I've gotten alot of information on the subject. My son is 18 years old now so I do have a bit of experience with autism. Let me know if there's something I can do. By the way, I'm new here and this is my first thread so bear with me if I mess it up.

Amyk072

Thanks Vince

My son is 9 and presents most like AS. I'm very interested in the type of services Calvert County has provided, both past and present. Was any specific methodology used? What types of classrooms for elementary, middle and high school? Was a behavioral aide/para educator ever suggested? Anything you can pass along would be greatly appreciated, especially information on IEPs. Thank you very much.

Amyk072

Hey Watercolor

No, it wasn't a service announcement or anything at all inappropriate. I would love a rally but it seems a very difficult thing to accomplish given the barriers. Generally the resources I refered to aren't resources that can be purchased but rather services provided by the state and federal government, websites, non-profit organizations and so on. The trick is, you have to find out all on your own what those resources are. You have to know the right questions to ask or the school system is not required to provide the information.
A real public service announcement would be fabulous but I don't think autism is that "hip" of an issue right now.

Amyk072

Bch

I don't believe I implied that she was being sarcastic. It would make zero difference if she were. If a post contains anything that can be considered a promotion for services it will be dealt with at that time I'm sure by the normal means.

In the mean time, if anyone would care to discuss autism or educational issues involved, we are certainly entitled to do so open and freely. (See original post)