Horrible accident w/ 2 cycles in Leonardtown

Rt235

I did not see this noted here. Sounds like a real horrible accident!

Serious Personal Injury in Leonardtown – Two Flyouts, Two Other Victims

At approximately 1:13 p.m. on Saturday, August 4, emergency units were dispatched to the area near 24881 Pt. Lookout Rd. in Leonardtown for a reported serious personal injury accident involving two motorcycles and a truck and trailer. According to dispatch the operator of the truck reported that the trailer broke loose from the truck and struck two motorcycles.

Trooper 2 was called to the scene for evacuation of one victim with a possible amputation at knee and for a second seriously injured patient. Two other crash victims were transported by ambulance to Medstar St. Mary’s Hospital.

Please be safe out there and allow a lot of room between you and the other guy!

Baynet has story with photos.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
thats horrible.
prayers to all involved, including the guy that lost the trailer. How do you live with knowing that you had something to do with that type of accident.

Rt235

thats horrible.
prayers to all involved, including the guy that lost the trailer. How do you live with knowing that you had something to do with that type of accident.

Yup, main reason to use a good fitting hitch and good chains!!!

bcp

In My Opinion

I lost a boat once years ago, welds broke on the trailer part of the hitch, but the chains did hold and allow me to stop it with a bit of damage to the tailgate.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Back when towtrucks had a hook, (as opposed to trucks that now have a flatbed)I saw one that had dropped a car in the middle of the road. To this day, I am cautious about being behind anyone towing anything!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
the trailer broke loose from the truck and struck two motorcycles.
How awful for everyone involved.

I, like FF, don't travel behind anyone who's pulling something. And I also don't travel behind anyone who is carrying loose stuff or drywall in the back of a truck. A friend of mine was in a serious accident because the guy in front of him had sheetrock strapped to the top of his vehicle and it came loose, busted through my friend's windshield and almost killed him.

Edited - FF, not Belvak.

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
How awful for everyone involved.

I, like Belvak, don't travel behind anyone who's pulling something. And I also don't travel behind anyone who is carrying loose stuff or drywall in the back of a truck. A friend of mine was in a serious accident because the guy in front of him had sheetrock strapped to the top of his vehicle and it came loose, busted through my friend's windshield and almost killed him.

So sad, my prayers to all those involved.

I'm like you. I don't like to follow anyone carrying/pulling anything now and that's because I was headed north on Rt. 4 one day a guy in front of me had thick pipe on his truck, all of a sudden they are coming toward me, they went up over my car, but scared the daylights out of me and I was thinking "Final Destination". Freak accidents and the wrong place at the wrong time. Just a sad, sad situation.

Rt235

Some years ago, I was behind a truck w/ a home made camper shell (plywood). We were going up the 2/4 bridge (Solomon's TO St. Mary's.) It was very windy. I slowed down and back way off as soon as I saw the camper shell begin to wobble. Sure enough, it came off and most of it flew over the concrete wall into the river below. Some of the pieces ended up on the roadway. By this time I was at a complete stop! Scared the crap outta me!

So I too leave a good distance between a potential hazard and me!

red_explorer

dad

My dad had that happen years ago up in Montgomery County...trailer came loose and went right through where he knew kids usually waited for a school bus. He would never pull a trailer after that....would take a bigger truck or a rollback instead.... He had them. My brother hauls trailers all the time, even down to my parents. Dad always repeats the story....

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So if it is found out that the person towing the trailer wasn't doing it right, like no safety chains, what should the punishment be?

Hank

my war
So if it is found out that the person towing the trailer wasn't doing it right, like no safety chains, what should the punishment be?

Definitely some sort of negligence charge, whatever the punishment is for that... slap on the wrist, I am sure... Hell, poor guy has to live with the fact that it happened, that seems like a lifetime of mental prison to me...

bcp

In My Opinion
Definitely some sort of negligence charge, whatever the punishment is for that... slap on the wrist, I am sure... Hell, poor guy has to live with the fact that it happened, that seems like a lifetime of mental prison to me...

could also be equipment failure.
its also why I tow below the speed limit even though I could pull above it without any problem.
So when you come up on the back of my trailer in a 70mph zone and Im in the right lane doing 60, Im not trying to be ignorant to you, Im trying to keep this same thing from happening.
Anyone that tows on a regular basis will tell you that you have to be ready at all times for something to go wrong, because sooner or later, it will.

could also be equipment failure.
its also why I tow below the speed limit even though I could pull above it without any problem.
So when you come up on the back of my trailer in a 70mph zone and Im in the right lane doing 60, Im not trying to be ignorant to you, Im trying to keep this same thing from happening.
Anyone that tows on a regular basis will tell you that you have to be ready at all times for something to go wrong, because sooner or later, it will.

Saw a truck pulling a pretty good sized boat 28'-30' driving down the shoulder a couple days ago, flashers on and going slowly. Got up close and guess what? Only thing holding the boat on was the winch cable. I guess driving on the shoulder and not securing your boat is ok as long as your flashers are on. :whistle:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

A similar case I was very familiar with involved a trailer breakaway that resulted in a fatality. The "punishment" ended up being the large sum of money that was settled on in the negligence suit; I.e. it was mostly a civil matter and a civil penalty. However, there had been some talk of including a negligent homicide or manslaughter charge in to it. In that particualr example, though, it was not entirely clear who exactly was "Responsible" for the trailer separation.

Bottom line is that negligence can be proven if the safety chains were not properly in place, and if the trailer is above a certain GVW it must also have a break-away switch and battery to activate the electric brakes.

What a horrible accident. I almost went that same route about the same time on the practically the same motorcycle (H-D dresser). Sure does give one pause. Prayers for all involved.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are accidents where you look at the negligent party and go, "You freaking dumbass! :strangle:" Then there are the ones that make you go, "Oh wow," and check your own equipment/setup. Punish the first, the second is a no-fault.

Not sure which one this is yet.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
There are accidents where you look at the negligent party and go, "You freaking dumbass! :strangle:" Then there are the ones that make you go, "Oh wow," and check your own equipment/setup. Punish the first, the second is a no-fault.

Not sure which one this is yet.

New smilie?