#5...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Question 5
Referendum Petition
(Ch. 1 of the 2011 Special Session)
Congressional Districting Plan

Establishes the boundaries for the State’s eight United States Congressional Districts based on recent census figures, as required by the United States Constitution.

Toxick

Splat
Question 5
Referendum Petition
(Ch. 1 of the 2011 Special Session)
Congressional Districting Plan

Establishes the boundaries for the State’s eight United States Congressional Districts based on recent census figures, as required by the United States Constitution.

I vote :boo:

Jerry Mandering is evil.

bcp

In My Opinion
Living in AA county, and realizing that if this goes through, My representation will be absorbed by PG county, I have to say no.
This is an attempt by the democrats to get rid of the districts that vote republican.
If I had the money to do it, I would bring up a lawsuit over the legality of this and try my best to see those that did this locked up for it.
Saw politicians get this treatment in Virgnina back in the early 80s for trying to do the same thing.

its illegal.

Rommey

Voting No on this one.

I think they should have some basic rules on how the districts can be drawn up, such as a county has to be completely in one district, unless the population of the county requires it to be in two or three different districts. Even with the odd geographic nature of Maryland, it is possible to keep the majority of counties completely within one district.

For example

District 1
Baltimore County (about 3% of county population; basically the NE corner of the county)
Caroline County
Cecil County
Dorchester County
Kent County
Queen Anne's Co.
Somerset County
Talbot County
Wicomico County
Worcester County
Harford County

District 2
Baltimore County (about 90% of county population)

District 3
Baltimore City
Baltimore County (about 7% of county population; needed to make up the balance)
Howard County (about 8% of county population; needed to make up the balance)

District 7
Allegany County
Carroll County
Frederick County
Garrett County
Washington County
Montgomery County (about 6% of county population; needed to make up the balance)

District 5
Anne Arundel Co.
Calvert County
St. Mary's County
Howard County (about 2% of county population; needed to make up the balance)

District 6
Montgomery County (about 19% of county population)
Howard County (about 90% of county population)
Prince George's Co. (about 33% of county population)

District 4
Charles County
Prince George's Co. (about 67% of county population)

District 8
Montgomery County (about 75% of county population)

In my example here, because Montgomery, Baltimore County, and Prince George Counties have more population than a district can have so they need to split. Howard County is a victim of geography being in the relative middle of the state, which required it to be split and combined with the the portions split from the three big counties or make up a shortage from other districts.