The "educated" voter

tommyjo

If this site is any indication, the "educated" voter is a myth.

As I have read this site over the past few months, many people have posted (and continue to post) about how uneducated others are...why are the others uneducated? Because that person holds a different opinion...there is no other reason...why do I say this?

Because, these same people who claim others are uneducated; can't do elementary grade level math and/or don't have a middle school level understanding of the electoral process.

Addtitionally, with our country struggling with economic recovery these same "educated" voters don't understand; the deficit (what it is nor how it comes about); the debt (its make up, its relation to the overall economy or who holds the debt), unemployment, first time unemployment claims (the "debate" here over this topic perfectly highlighted the Fox viewers), the basic makeup and definitional properties of Gross Domestic Product, corporate governance (a manager in Asia does not set policy for a worldwide company), recessions, recoveries, the major entitlement programs, fiscal policy, monetary policy, the size, scope or makeup of the US economy and on and on.

Despite all of the data on the above subjects being readily available from the source, not a single one of these educated voters ever posts an actual report or the actual study and discusses the item on its merit. No, these "educated" voters read some far right or far left propaganda piece and simply regurgitate what they were told to think. To these people, the likes Rush Limbuagh and Racheal Maddow are heroes, instead of the villians they truly are. Villans whose true goal is to sell advertising and separating this country into "us" vs "them". These same people then claim that they are the only true patriots or good Americans, race to the polls, and vote a straight party ticket!! This is the "educated" voter? I think not.

By far the most dissapointing aspect of sites like this was pointed out yesterday and continues today. Mitt Romney lost. He lost the electoral vote and the popular vote. The Republicans lost seats in both the House and Senate.

Do these "educated" voters look at their Presidential candidate and realize how weak he was and their party is, despite the overwhelming opportunity for success that was laying on the table? Do they look at their losses in the halls of Congress and realize that nominating the most conservative, backwards thinking candidate will not lead down the path to victory? Do they review the mistakes, adjust the themes to figure out a way to do better and reach more people next time???

Nope...they simply claim that everyone else who voted in a manner that was opposite of their EDUCATED opinion was "STUPID"...or worse..."Un-American".

Amazing...utterly amazing.

PsyOps

Pixelated

As I have read this site over the past few months, many people have posted (and continue to post) about how uneducated others are...why are the others uneducated? Because that person holds a different opinion...there is no other reason...why do I say this?

Because, these same people who claim others are uneducated; can't do elementary grade level math and/or don't have a middle school level understanding of the electoral process.

You have just made yourself guilty of that which you are complaining.

thurley42

HY;FR

Addtitionally, with our country struggling with economic recovery these same "educated" voters don't understand; the deficit (what it is nor how it comes about); the debt (its make up, its relation to the overall economy or who holds the debt), unemployment, first time unemployment claims (the "debate" here over this topic perfectly highlighted the Fox viewers), the basic makeup and definitional properties of Gross Domestic Product, corporate governance (a manager in Asia does not set policy for a worldwide company), recessions, recoveries, the major entitlement programs, fiscal policy, monetary policy, the size, scope or makeup of the US economy and on and on.

Despite all of the data on the above subjects being readily available from the source, not a single one of these educated voters ever posts an actual report or the actual study and discusses the item on its merit. No, these "educated" voters read some far right or far left propaganda piece and simply regurgitate what they were told to think. To these people, the likes Rush Limbuagh and Racheal Maddow are heroes, instead of the villians they truly are. Villans whose true goal is to sell advertising and separating this country into "us" vs "them". These same people then claim that they are the only true patriots or good Americans, race to the polls, and vote a straight party ticket!! This is the "educated" voter? I think not.

By far the most dissapointing aspect of sites like this was pointed out yesterday and continues today. Mitt Romney lost. He lost the electoral vote and the popular vote. The Republicans lost seats in both the House and Senate.

Do these "educated" voters look at their Presidential candidate and realize how weak he was and their party is, despite the overwhelming opportunity for success that was laying on the table? Do they look at their losses in the halls of Congress and realize that nominating the most conservative, backwards thinking candidate will not lead down the path to victory? Do they review the mistakes, adjust the themes to figure out a way to do better and reach more people next time???

Nope...they simply claim that everyone else who voted in a manner that was opposite of their EDUCATED opinion was "STUPID"...or worse..."Un-American".

I find it amazing that you accuse people of not having an elementary grasp of math and then misspell "Additionally" in the next sentence!:killingme:killingme

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I find it amazing that you accuse people of not having an elementary grasp of math and then misspell "Additionally" in the next sentence!:killingme:killingme

Of all of the things in that post you could have gone after, and that was what you chose? I find that amazing.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Actually if you do a spell check on it there are a few misspellings and grammatical errors. But us poor uneducated people can’t bother to pay attention to that.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Thank you captain obvious. I don't think one single 'uneducated' person in this forum knew this. :rolleyes:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Do these "educated" voters look at their Presidential candidate and realize how weak he was and their party is...

I'm astounded that someone as EDUCATED as yourself missed all the posts talking about this.

Actually, no I'm not.

SamSpade

Uneducated voters are the ones who arrive at the polls and aren't sure who is running, other than possibly the President. At any time, they can't tell you who represents them in the Senate, in the House or even who the VP is - or who any of the opposing candidates are.

Despite being barraged daily with referendum commercials - they have no idea what they are about. I have a co-worker who asks which party is the good guys, and which are the bad guys - and this is an IT professional with a degree.

They couldn't find the US on a map of the world. They think Baltimore is the state capital, and they've lived here most of their lives. One of them couldn't identify the Potomac River while in a restaurant in Alexandria - and has lived in DC her whole life.

They will claim they went to the polls and voted - on a day before the election. They cannot name a Supreme Court Justice - not one, living or dead.

They haven't the faintest idea what their tax bracket is, nor do they know the actual Maryland sales tax - and they live in Maryland.

They do know the sports scores and who was the top draft pick. They do know their pop culture and who was eliminated on the last reality show they watched.

But they have absolutely no idea about anything in the news over the last year.

Getting the picture? These people number in the millions and they have the ability to cancel your vote many, many times over.

Toxick

Splat

And by "this site" you mean "Planet Earth", yes?

You have extremists everywhere you go, whether it's on the intarwebs or in real life. If you can't - or won't - get around that you may as well just watch either Fox or MSNBC according to your preference, and avoid talking politics with ... well, everybody.

Name-calling amongst people with opposing view is not really a modern phenomenon, nor is it particularly uncommon, and it's certainly not unique to this website.

And it doesn't make people "uneducated".

It makes people "human".

PsyOps

Pixelated

Educate us about something… What did Obama say about:

• What he’d do with the deficit?
  • Where unemployment would be at this point?
  • Bush and racking up debt to China?
  • Benghazi?
  • Fast and Furious?
  • Rev. Wright?
  • His college transcripts?
  • Transparency and the Obamacare deliberations?
  • Healthcare costs as a result of Obamacare?
  • What affect his Cap and Trade policies would have on energy prices?
  • About the completion of the border fence?
  • About a dime of our taxes going up in relationship to the SCOTUS decision on Obamacare?

I anxiously await for your supremely educated answers on these and will provide more once you’ve graciously answered these.

SamSpade

And by "this site" you mean "Planet Earth", yes?

You have extremists everywhere you go, whether it's on the intarwebs or in real life.

And this reflects on a discussion, er, battle I have with Larry on the idea that stumping for ideals that appeal to only a small sector of the population only accomplishes that you will rarely if ever gain any sort of power. As Ann Coulter muses in her most recent column, it's like liking a band that never makes an album because at least they're not "selling out".

However -

If you don't at least stand for at least SOME principle instead of being moderate on everything, you get the strong likelihood of being elected - but not accomplishing anything.

So -

Not getting elected, because you're too extreme, or not getting anything done, because you're not extreme at all.

So -

Do we want a bitterly partisan Congress so polarized they can't agree on anything, or one that is so wishy-washy and moderate, that what they do accomplish is of no value?

BigBlue

Well said.Many here agree with you ,the ones you refer to are the minority but yet the loudest.

Toxick

Splat
If you don't at least stand for at least SOME principle instead of being moderate on everything, you get the strong likelihood of being elected - but not accomplishing anything.

I hate the word "moderate" when it comes to politics. I believe that I am anything but moderate when it comes to my views. I put a lot of thought into an issue before I decide where I stand on it. I choose a side and I stand by it and defend it vigorously.

There are very few issues where my opinion could be called "middle of the road" or "on the fence" In fact, on the national level I can only think of one significant issue (immigration) where I am not firmly decisive about my opinion - and to me the word "moderate" is synonomous with "indecisive".

Yet since my opinions are not Mostly Right or Mostly Left, I'm pigeon-holed with moderate pantywastes.

Do we want a bitterly partisan Congress so polarized they can't agree on anything, or one that is so wishy-washy and moderate, that what they do accomplish is of no value?

The country was built on compromise, and I think that decent compromise is possible. Especially when it comes to things like this upcoming sequestration (fiscal cliff), but both sides are so convinced that they're right, they absolutely refuse to compromise on anything.

Like the other day when Bronco Bama said that he's interested in a bipartisan effort to resolve this issue.. my reaction was:

HAH!

Neither side is interested in bipartisan anything. The Democrat perception of bipartisanship is Republicans shutting the #### up and signing off on whatever the D's want, and the Republican perception is the exact same thing in reverse. It's a joke, and it's why this unyeilding Two Party System is going to destroy this country, if it hasn't already done so.

Boner paid lip-service to compromise yesterday. We'll see how serious he is about it. I'm not hopeful.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
> What he’d do with the deficit?

It's down about 400B in the last few years. Deficits go up in recessions, now it's coming back down. I'd like it to come down faster, but that means stabbing sacred cows like entitlements & defense.

> Where unemployment would be at this point?

"would be"? According to who? Economists are mixed on how much the stimulus helped (Did the stimulus work? A review of the nine best studies on the subject - The Washington Post) but most agree it helped but disagree on the net gain after we pay for it. Ultimately, jobs were created. So either Obama gets credit for the rate dropping down to under 8% or the economy did it on its own / in spite of him.

> Bush and racking up debt to China?

Oooh the boogeyman of China. Do you actually have any clue who owns our debt? Of the $16+ trillion we owe, China own $1.1T. Know who else owns our debt? Japan, who owns almost as much as China. The percent they own hasn't changed much in a decade. The total debt we owe is the issue, China owning it is entirely irrelevant.

So why do we owe so much? The Bush Tax Cuts. The wars in the mid east. Non-discretionary spending (entitlement costs increases in medicare and medicaid) and the general defense budget are big parts. These have all been increasing for years, but now suddenly the Republicans are budget hawks.

> Benghazi?

No clue what Obama had to do with Benghazi other than poorly managing the aftermath. Congress is in control of the security budget for embassies.

> Fast and Furious?

Again, no idea what you're on about. F&F was an ATF project following on another project called "Wide Receiver" that started in 2006. Both were investigated and criticized by the DOJ (http://oversight.house.gov/wp-conte...12-DOJ-IG-Review-of-Fast-and-Furious-9-12.pdf) I've reviewed the conclusions and I don't see the White House implicated in any way.

> Rev. Wright?

:killingme Still?

> His college transcripts?

Wait... what? This is a thing now? Why? We know he graduated MCL from Harvard Law, which means he had excellent grades. We've no idea what he got before that, but he got into Harvard Law. So... what, if he got a "C" we're supposed to impeach him? As far as I can find, no president has ever released college transcripts (Bush had his leaked), so I don't understand the issue here.

> Transparency and the Obamacare deliberations?

Congress and the President have always had closed deliberations. This goes back something like 250 years in this country.

> Healthcare costs as a result of Obamacare?

Are speculative. As are the proposed savings. Current estimate is close to 2T over 10 years. Plus health care i srising 6% annually regardless. I don't want to pay this, but it's not a mystery and I don't see many alternatives in the works.

> What affect his Cap and Trade policies would have on energy prices?

It will raise them. Mystery solved. The EU implementation (2005 to now) didn't result in simple price increase for the end user, it resulted in a very turbulent and unpredictable market. As for Obama, his C&T policy died in congress in 2009 and with Republicans holding the House and having enough power in the Senate to kill the idea, it's a very dead issue.

> About the completion of the border fence?

The current fence costs billions. It will cost a quarter trillion to upkeep and complete it. It doesn't work in the first place. It would cost trillions to fully staff and monitor it. I thought we were worried about costs and taxes? Why is this suddenly an Obama issue?

IrishGal

Stretch's Mom

Or the ones who caused "#### white people" to be the top trend on Twitter as the election was called for Obama and for hours afterward?

I know plenty of folks who voted opposite to what I did. For a number of them, they have their reasons, they see the world differently than I and voted what is important to THEM. We agree to disagree and I respect their choices. I don't LIKE the choice, but I RESPECT them for having a real reason.

However, for slightly more of them, I get the answer "I voted for the President because Romney is a liar and wants to outlaw all abortions." Or "I voted Obama because Paul Ryan thinks rape is OK". Or even worse "I voted for Obama because I'm not racist."

THESE are the uneducated and there are plenty of them voting. I have REAL issues with that.