Dr. Mia Finkelston out of practice?

Erk

As a long time patient of Dr. Mia, I was saddened to get a letter saying she would not longer be practicing with the (former) Breton Medical group. Does anybody know if she is practicing somewhere else or just said dahellwiddit?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
She said the heck with it. She had a no compete clause in her contract and wouldn't be able to work anyway for a couple of years. She was just supposed to be a part-timer, and had been for years, and she liked spending time with her patients. She was overworked and was rushed through appointments. I think she's doing what's best for her, but I'll really miss her.

Restless

Dr. Wilkinson has also left the practice. I have heard rumors but can't verify them. It is so sad that they are both leaving. They really cared about their patients.

Erk

She said the heck with it. She had a no compete clause in her contract and wouldn't be able to work anyway for a couple of years. She was just supposed to be a part-timer, and had been for years, and she liked spending time with her patients. She was overworked and was rushed through appointments. I think she's doing what's best for her, but I'll really miss her.

Thats what I figured. The last time I was in there she was frustrated by the new managements strict allocation of 'this much time per patient' and that they were pretty much on a time clock each time they stepped into an examination room.

My opinion is this is the first wave of impacts of Obamacare. A lot of Md's are just gonna say 'screw it'.

buddscreekman

Dr. Wilkinson has also left the practice. I have heard rumors but can't verify them. It is so sad that they are both leaving. They really cared about their patients.

Wilkinson is the absolute best around. Do you know if he is going to practice solo? What about Dr.Lee and .....hmmm....I can't think of any other doctors there now that I think about it. Don't like either PA.

belvak

Happy Camper
The letter I got from Dr. Mia indicated she was recommending Natalie Farmer to her patients. Anyone ever seen her? This all really saddens me. I became one of Dr. Wilkinson's patients when he first opened his practice. I loved them both.

ETA -- I also think they are/were being "forced" by MedStar to change their style of care. I know one time Dr. Mia told me one thing, then I got a call from a nurse who told me I needed to start another medicine. That was totally contrary to what Dr. Mia and I had discussed.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Thats what I figured. The last time I was in there she was frustrated by the new managements strict allocation of 'this much time per patient' and that they were pretty much on a time clock each time they stepped into an examination room.

My opinion is this is the first wave of impacts of Obamacare. A lot of Md's are just gonna say 'screw it'.

Obamacare's drive-thru medical care. TOTAL :bs:

buddscreekman

Obamacare's drive-thru medical care. TOTAL :bs:

So you believe "Obamacare" (dumbest expression in current use) is the cause of this specific situation? And not MedStar?
Not directing this so much at you personally,DK - but isn't Obamacare kind of the new favorite term for people who just want to fit in and sound knowledgeable? In other words,no solid evidence to back up anything,just a term thrown around so all the good ol boys can nod and shake their heads and feel a common bond. You can't get in to see the doc? Damn Obamacare. Doctor leaving a practice? Obamacare. I'm not taking a political stance,just commenting on a pattern I see and playing my usual devil's advocate position. :whistle:

Seriously, so sad.... Dr. Wilkinson is the best I've seen in 30 + years of healthcare... and Dr. Mia was a female version of him:) They both were kind and compassionate and well versed.... I heard that Dr. Tom was going to work for the Peace Corp, don't know about Dr. Mia.

Toxick

Splat
Dr. Wilkinson has also left the practice. I have heard rumors but can't verify them.

Apparently he went to the Peace Corps in DC or something. I was a patient of his for a long time, and talking to him, it was very obvious that he had been growing increasingly unhappy with MedStar and a lot of the BS he had to deal with.

I miss him. :(

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So you believe "Obamacare" (dumbest expression in current use) is the cause of this specific situation? And not MedStar?
Not directing this so much at you personally,DK - but isn't Obamacare kind of the new favorite term for people who just want to fit in and sound knowledgeable? In other words,no solid evidence to back up anything,just a term thrown around so all the good ol boys can nod and shake their heads and feel a common bond. You can't get in to see the doc? Damn Obamacare. Doctor leaving a practice? Obamacare. I'm not taking a political stance,just commenting on a pattern I see and playing my usual devil's advocate position. :whistle:

Actually, you might not know this, it may depend on how long you were a patient, but when the universal health care, aka ObamaCare was originally being batted around, Dr. Tom protested, seriously protested - marched on the Capital and everything, against it. He said at that time if the government initiated something like that then he was leaving the medical field.

Fast forward a few years, the healthcare (aka ObamaCare) got passed and Dr. Tom sold out to MedStar and left the medical field and went to work in DC for the Peace Corps.

MedStar took over, and as Dr. Mia said, runs things like a big city corperation so Dr. Mia leaves.

Two concerns interconnected. ObamaCare (or whatever you want to call it) and MedStar.

tercel95

The letter I got from Dr. Mia indicated she was recommending Natalie Farmer to her patients. Anyone ever seen her? This all really saddens me. I became one of Dr. Wilkinson's patients when he first opened his practice. I loved them both.

ETA -- I also think they are/were being "forced" by MedStar to change their style of care. I know one time Dr. Mia told me one thing, then I got a call from a nurse who told me I needed to start another medicine. That was totally contrary to what Dr. Mia and I had discussed.

I see Natalie Farmer and no complaints here. She was very nice and laid back.

belvak

Happy Camper
I see Natalie Farmer and no complaints here. She was very nice and laid back.

:howdy: Thanks! Guess I'll give her a try. I won't go to any of the Shah's! Well, except Dr. Arpana Shah if I ever have any skin problems. Hubby has seen her and she is nice and thorough.

smurfgirl

Natalie Farmer is ok. I have seen her a couple times. Not my favorite, but when it's the only apt you can get she will do.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I don't feel like she takes the time to listen.

That's the part I don't particularly care for either; in addition to the cost of office visits that seemingly rise every year, a topic for another time.

I remember "my" neurosurgeon at G'town and Children's hospitals when I was but a wee lad. He would spend time with me, Mom & Dad and listen; and not worry about how much time he spent with us; whether he had a full schedule of office visits or not; and I have faith that he used to do the same for all his other patients.

One of the things missing in today's medical profession, I feel, is the 'undivided attention factor.' Depending on the Dr., sometimes you just don't feel like he/she is REALLY listening Amirite?

Restless

They are no longer allowed to take the time. In Dr. Tom's office the MedStar staff member or whatever you call them will actually knock on the door if the doctor is with someone too long.

I miss the days where doctors were in charge of how they spend their days and not insurance companies and the government.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Well, quit it, heh?

BernieP

Resident PIA

I got the letter about Dr. Wilkinson leaving but haven't recieved a letter about Dr. Mia's departure

BTW, Breton Medical group is part of the Shah conglomerate. They were the the one practice that was not part. I think this would mean all the doctors that were there when we signed in, are now gone.

Shame.

The group practice use to be called St. Clements Medical. At this point I don't know if there is a physician left that was there 5 years ago or even longer.

Last edited: