Clipping Wings?

SoMDGirl42

Anyone out here have a bird and clip their wings or know where to take a cockateil to have their wings clipped? I will call my regular vet and ask if they do it, as well as Petco, well pet clinic etc, but thought it might save me some time if someone already knew the answer before I call and waste their time as well.

Thanks

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Anyone out here have a bird and clip their wings or know where to take a cockateil to have their wings clipped? I will call my regular vet and ask if they do it, as well as Petco, well pet clinic etc, but thought it might save me some time if someone already knew the answer before I call and waste their time as well.

Thanks

You know you can do it yourself, right?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
just like dogs nails.... birds feathers have veins/quicks that if cut/trimmed wrong will bleed and cause pain to the bird.

know that you have issues trimming your own dogs nails ... maybe you shouldnt try it yourself and seek the help of All Kinds like you have stated.

The do take bird there. Not all places will see birds.

Roman

I use Dr Chabral at St Mary's Animal Hospital. She's an Avian Vet, and Perdue just LOVES her. It's good to know that All Kinds does Birds too. I didn't know that. As ICit posted above, if you hit a blood feather, the Bird can bleed to death, so if you decide to do it on your own, be VERY careful.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
and god forbid if there is a major ER with a bird around here.... the two ER's around here WILL NOT see birds at all...

well only to PTS..

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I use Dr Chabral at St Mary's Animal Hospital. She's an Avian Vet, and Perdue just LOVES her. It's good to know that All Kinds does Birds too. I didn't know that. As ICit posted above, if you hit a blood feather, the Bird can bleed to death, so if you decide to do it on your own, be VERY careful.

It's a good idea if you've never clipped them yourself, to have the vet show you how. Some people may just choose not to, like me. I won't trim the cats claws, even though I know how. I just can't seem to be bothered with it.

Clipping wings is not difficult, though. I used to have exotics (about a hundred years ago), and I clipped their wings regularly.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It's a good idea if you've never clipped them yourself, to have the vet show you how. Some people may just choose not to, like me. I won't trim the cats claws, even though I know how. I just can't seem to be bothered with it.

Clipping wings is not difficult, though. I used to have exotics (about a hundred years ago), and I clipped their wings regularly.

:smack:.... you are not that old :killingme

and you are right.... those who wont or are uncomfortable about trimming nails maybe shouldnt take part in that either.

and trimming dogs/cats nails isnt that hard at all!!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

Thanks

You don't have to clip a bird's wings unless you want to. I don't clip my parrot's wings because I want him to be able to get away in the event the cat or dogs go after him.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Your birds name is Perdue? :lmao:

SoMDGirl42

You know you can do it yourself, right?
I know I can, but I don't want to. I haven't clipped wings in 20+ years, and that was a parakeet.

and you are right.... those who wont or are uncomfortable about trimming nails maybe shouldnt take part in that either.

You know I don't like doing toe nails on dogs. It's not that it's hard, but the sound makes me want to yak and I'm always afraid I'll hurt them.

So yeah, I'll be taking Marley to get his wings clipped. I lock the dogs up when he comes out every evening, but I don't want to take a chance if his feathers grow out and he flies out a door or something. This is the sweetest bird I've ever met.

Roman

Yup...wanna guess what his middle name is? You guessed it...Oven Stuffer! It is a good thing to clip their wings especially if they are allowed out of their cage. They can hit ceiling fans, or fly right out the door, Perdue almost made it in to a pot of boiling water, so that's when I decided it would be a good time for clipping. Perdue turned 26 last June. He's my Baby!!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My brother had a cockatiel and then found a stray one near his house (must have escaped from it's house). Anyway, the stray was harrassing my brother's bird and his bird ended up drowning in their hot tub. I don't know what my brother did to the stray upon seeing that but I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

Our day-care lady has birds and last year, one of hers died. She told the kids that he flew out the door and was never seen again. My youngest still believes that to this day even though I tell him what really happened. He still insists that one day the bird will come back to her house. :ohwell:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Clipping wings is really no different than clipping dog and cat talons. Speaking of talons, bird talons need to be trimmed, too.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Clipping wings is really no different than clipping dog and cat talons. Speaking of talons, bird talons need to be trimmed, too.

true....

but I know how the OP feels about trimming her own dogs nails.

and very true about their talons.... and we have had a few that needed their beaks tweaked as well

mAlice

professional daydreamer
true....

but I know how the OP feels about trimming her own dogs nails.

and very true about their talons.... and we have had a few that needed their beaks tweaked as well

I don't know what you mean by 'we', but beak trimming should only be performed by a vet. Additionally, there can be underlying health issues with an overgrown or malformed beak.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I don't know what you mean by 'we', but beak trimming should only be performed by a vet. Additionally, there can be underlying health issues with an overgrown or malformed beak.

sorry... yes I worked at the vet ... and "we" was me as the tech and the vet.

Roman

My Parrot has to have his Beak done too, as well as the nails. His upper Beak cris-crosses the lower beak, so the Doctor has to put a notch in the upper so that the lower beak will go in to those notches, making the beak stay in line. A Birdie form of having Braces. I have concrete type perches of different sizes in his cage, so his nails only have to be done maybe once a year, if that.

SoMDGirl42

My Parrot has to have his Beak done too, as well as the nails. His upper Beak cris-crosses the lower beak, so the Doctor has to put a notch in the upper so that the lower beak will go in to those notches, making the beak stay in line. A Birdie form of having Braces. I have concrete type perches of different sizes in his cage, so his nails only have to be done maybe once a year, if that.

I have four different type perches in his cages that are supposed to help keep his talons trimmed and I have some "lava" looking things and some other things that are supposed to keep his beak trimmed. I read that most birds won't require their beaks to be trimmed unless it's sick or has other issues. If his toe nails need trimmed, I'll have them done when he's ready for his wings.

Thanks for the advice. We are new to the bird world. I'm currently reading three different books on birds :lol: It's great reading for the 7 year old. She puts the bird on his playgym and sits and reads him books every night. He nibbles on his lava rock while she reads, then feeds him his fresh green parsley and cheerio snack. They are bonding well together.

SoMDGirl42

Just an FYI in case anyone ever needs this info, I just called All Kinds. The girl that answered the phone had to talk with Dr. Adam to find out if the bird needed an exam before getting his wings clipped. Dr. Adam said no, the bird does not need an exam and the clipping is $20.50. You do need to make an appointment to have it done though.

PrepH4U

Just an FYI in case anyone ever needs this info, I just called All Kinds. The girl that answered the phone had to talk with Dr. Adam to find out if the bird needed an exam before getting his wings clipped. Dr. Adam said no, the bird does not need an exam and the clipping is $20.50. You do need to make an appointment to have it done though.

Just for your info he is really good with birds. For the first initial exam he takes almost an hour to get to know the bird and to talk about any issues you may be having. He also gives you a lot of good advice and tips.