Wood working

zeerex99

Not sure where to post this. I have a wooden chess set that was given to me by someone in my life many years ago. A lot of sentimental value to me. One of the pieces got lost in our last move. I'm looking for someone who's great at wood working to reproduce it for me. Will require some lathe work and carving. Any thoughts?

Rt235

Woodturning...check out the folks at the Marine Museum, Jimmy Langley. His pop, Pepper Langley, did all sorts of carving and woodworking for the place. If all you need is a replacement piece, I am sure one of the museum members would be happy to do it! Check them out and good luck!:howdy:

C

czygvtwkr

Depending on what piece it is, could be very difficult. A pawn would be fairly simple, but a knight.......

Vince

Did a chess set with my scroll saw. The pieces are square. Put a paper pattern on two sides of a square piece of wood, cut one side out, taped it back on and then cut the other side. It turned out nice except the pieces aren't heavy enough.

zeerex99

Depending on what piece it is, could be very difficult. A pawn would be fairly simple, but a knight.......

Just so happens it is one of the knights. The entire piece will need to be partially turned for the base. The rest will need to be carved. I can do both but don't have a lathe. Also pretty good at carving but was looking for someone to knock it out. Thanks for all the suggestions,

CalvertActiv

Did a chess set with my scroll saw. The pieces are square. Put a paper pattern on two sides of a square piece of wood, cut one side out, taped it back on and then cut the other side. It turned out nice except the pieces aren't heavy enough.

Could you drill out the bottom to place a small lead weight in it? Might add just the right amount of heft and would give it a good center of gravity.

To the original poster:

As another person said the people at the Marine Museum do some amazing work. Swing by their model shop one day to see if someone there can help you out.

zeerex99

That is a great idea.
:yay:

Did that with a ceramic set my mom made for me in 1970. The pieces are gorgeous but were hollow. I filled them with Plaster of Paris and a heavy fishing weight near the bottom. After it dried I glued a piece of felt on the bottom. Made them solid and they sat correctly.

Vince

Could you drill out the bottom to place a small lead weight in it? Might add just the right amount of heft and would give it a good center of gravity.

To the original poster:

As another person said the people at the Marine Museum do some amazing work. Swing by their model shop one day to see if someone there can help you out.
Thought of that AFTER I made the pieces. Too late. I'd have to do that before I cut them all out. I may make another set just for practice.