US Posts First Jan Budget Surplus In Five Years

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"According to the latest Monthly Treasury Statement, the U.S. posted a budget surplus of $2.88 billion in January. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg were expecting a deficit of $2.0 billion.

According to Reuters, this is the first January budget surplus in five years.

Receipts were $272.2 billion while the spending was $269.3 billion. This is important to remember, because budget deficits and surpluses aren't just about spending levels. Indeed, growth plays just as important a role.

Economists have been expecting the January report to benefit from the recent expiration of the payroll tax cut. However, this report nevertheless surpassed expectations.

Just last week, the Congressional Budget Office forecasted that the U.S. budget deficit would fall to $845 billion this year, which would be the first reading under $1 trillion in five years. Today's surprise surplus should reinforce optimism that we'll actually get there."

* THANK YOU PRESIDENT OBAMA AND VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN! *

SamSpade

What the f*** does a monthly budget surplus mean? All anyone gives a crap is what happens at the end of the fiscal year, and I'm bettin' the house it won't be a surplus.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
[ Today's surprise surplus should reinforce optimism that we'll actually get there]

So "getting" to an 850 billion dollar annual deficit is a victory of some kind??

You zoomed right past phenomenally stupid and entered the galactic realm.

CrashTest

Great! When can I expect my refund check since they're not using it all?

Funny you should mention this. The "surplus" is the result of delays in the IRS' 2012 tax return and refund processing caused by the fiscal cliff uncertainties. In other words, nobody got any tax refunds in Jan 2013 so that money was still "on the books" at the end of Jan.

tommyjo

You people are absolute morons. Do your brains just disengage when you start typing?

"Where's my refund?" ...that is just an unbelievably stupid comment...and no I won't join your fanclub...monummental stupidity is not something to celebrate.

Cutting the deficit from $1.4Trillion to est. $850 million isn't progress? What do you expect...the deficit to go to absolute zero overnight? Especially when you refuse to even consider that revenue is just as big a problem as spending is???

You can't have a surplus if you don't have a budget? So in your views, becuase we are operating on CRs (which are the budget, by the way), the gov't isn't spending and collecting money??? Is that how it works on your planet?

The surplus was because no tax refunds were sent in January? Really, who can file taxes in January? Huh? Every article I saw attributed the surplus to the return to normal social security taxation. But, according to you intellectual lightweights, taxes (ie. revenue) can't possible impact the US fiscal situation...so obvioulsy there must be some sinister reason...right?

Unbelievable...

CrashTest

The surplus was because no tax refunds were sent in January? Really, who can file taxes in January? Huh? Every article I saw attributed the surplus to the return to normal social security taxation. But, according to you intellectual lightweights, taxes (ie. revenue) can't possible impact the US fiscal situation...so obvioulsy there must be some sinister reason...right?

Unbelievable...

Did SS revenue become part of the operational or investment budget? Are we now building roads with revenue from the SS payroll taxes? I thought it was going into my personal retirement account.

:whistle:

Rommey

"Where's my refund?" ...that is just an unbelievably stupid comment...and no I won't join your fanclub...monummental stupidity is not something to celebrate.
You might want to look up "hyperbole" and see how it applies here.

Cutting the deficit from $1.4Trillion to est. $850 million isn't progress? What do you expect...the deficit to go to absolute zero overnight? Especially when you refuse to even consider that revenue is just as big a problem as spending is???
Speaking of absolute morons that don't engage their brains when they start typing...you can't even get your millions and billions right.

Unbelievable...
Yes you are...

MMDad

Lem Putt
You people are absolute morons. Do your brains just disengage when you start typing?

Are you single? If not, you seriously need to ask your hubby to feed you the high hard one. Might make you loosen up a bit.

If you are single, might I suggest that you get some new batteries for your BOB?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Are you single? If not, you seriously need to ask your hubby to feed you the high hard one. Might make you loosen up a bit.

If you are single, might I suggest that you get some new batteries for your BOB?

Someone call?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

You can't have a surplus if you don't have a budget? So in your views, becuase we are operating on CRs (which are the budget, by the way), the gov't isn't spending and collecting money??? Is that how it works on your planet?

Unbelievable...
Silly ass Liberals fall for this crap ALL the time.

And other than this year I could always do my taxes in January.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Unbelievable...
Okay, I get it now - you're on welfare and have been for a very long time. How I know this is because you have no concept of money. Not where it comes from, how it's budgeted, how taxes are filed...pretty much nothing. At first I thought you were some kid because your maturity level is...well, lacking. But now I realize that you're probably technically an adult, just a dependent one.

That explains things. :yay:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Really, who can file taxes in January? Huh?

Unbelievable...

YOU Really are daft aren't you ....

I received my W2 by the 2nd week in Jan and have filed, and received my refunds, and spent them paying off Credit Cards .....

and yes, you are unbelievable ...