st marys tax place?

njrobbins

My husband and I are new to the area and we're wondering where is a good place to get taxes done? Turbo tax is not an option for us this year and we do not want to go to h&r block or a place like it.

There is Liberty in the same plaza as Nicolettis. They have a poor guy in a costume out every morning flinging a sign.

Have not used them, so no insight there.

Beta84

They're out to get us
My husband and I are new to the area and we're wondering where is a good place to get taxes done? Turbo tax is not an option for us this year and we do not want to go to h&r block or a place like it.

2 questions...

1) Why not a place like H&R Block? What aspects don't you like, so we know what to avoid.

2) What is a place that's like H&R Block? Similar to my first question I guess...looking for what you don't like about that stuff. I'm sure there are even local ones that could be considered "like" them depending on your preference.

ylexot

Super Genius

Why is TurboTax or TaxAct (what I use) not an option for you?

frogman123

Does anyone just to the free file? If you had your taxes done last year and nothing has really changed, why not just use Free File and not pay anything?

I use Chris McReady in Lusby. Defiantly not cheap, but if you want it done right he's the guy!!! IRS audited us (business) 2 years ago and we had ZERO discrepancies...a fairly rare occurrence as I understand it. Always get great advice from him!

Beta84

They're out to get us
Does anyone just to the free file? If you had your taxes done last year and nothing has really changed, why not just use Free File and not pay anything?

So when the person said they just moved to the area, why would you assume nothing has really changed? There could be state tax changes, multiple W2s, possibly house stuff to deal with, etc.

frogman123

So when the person said they just moved to the area, why would you assume nothing has really changed? There could be state tax changes, multiple W2s, possibly house stuff to deal with, etc.

I should have used better wording. Wasn't asking 'in the terms of OP. More of a general question...

Beta84

They're out to get us
I should have used better wording. Wasn't asking 'in the terms of OP. More of a general question...

Got it. In that case, I've seen free filing online for federal, but I've never seen it for state. I've always wondered if that option exists.

sockgirl77

2 questions...

1) Why not a place like H&R Block? What aspects don't you like, so we know what to avoid.

2) What is a place that's like H&R Block? Similar to my first question I guess...looking for what you don't like about that stuff. I'm sure there are even local ones that could be considered "like" them depending on your preference.

I've gone to Jackson Hewitt (and I'm assuming that's a place like H&R Block) for the past 10 years or so. I've never had a problem with them and they've always gotten me great returns. :smile:

sockgirl77

:yeahthat: Free files will not process any out of state taxes. I've had to go through this a few times.

njrobbins

H&r block cost me $$$$ to get them done and they screwed them up one year. I just want to be referred to someone who's done this for years and does there job well. Im sure there are some great h&r block reps but I've had nothing but bad experiences.

Last edited:

Terrid76

I use Michael Guy. He's located on 235 just before 4. He does an awesome job. No matter how complicated I know he will figure everything out and I will have a totally accurate tax return.

sockgirl77

H&r block cost me $$$$ to get them done and they screwed them up one year. I just want to be referred to someone who's done this for years and does there job well. Im sure there are some great h&r block reps but I've had nothing but bad experiences.

But why rule out the other companies like them? They're the cheapest around if you're filing out-of-state taxes.

njrobbins

For those that did refer me to someone, thank you. If you can't SIMPLY refer me to anyone don't reply to the post then.#
Its none of your business really why I'm not using turbo tax or h&r block. I just need an EXPERIENCED tax preparer.#New to the area people just seeing what my options are.

sockgirl77

For those that did refer me to someone, thank you. If you can't SIMPLY refer me to anyone don't reply to the post then.#
Its none of your business really why I'm not using turbo tax or h&r block. I just need an EXPERIENCED tax preparer.#New to the area people just seeing what my options are.

Oh you're gonna fit in great here. :smile: