Kayaking Zekiah Swamp

Hessian

Believe it or not...

The CCC opened up the creek for maybe two dozen miles back in the 1930's.
(When the government couldn't find more creative ways to spend money and we could use DDT)

Since then,...perhaps only the bottom 3-4 miles(?) might be accessed from 234.
Check out Facebook: Southern Maryland Paddlers...and they have a number of people who have tried to explore it.

Tempting: A chain saw, couple gallons of gas & gatorade, DEET, and a couple ambitious yakkers could open up at least 5 full miles north of the 234.

Gilbert run looks intriguing too.

Blister

Looks to be a State owned Natural area between Rt.6 & 234. I am pretty sure it is privately owned between Rt.s 5 & 6. I know people that own some of this and they restrict hunting. Is this a navigable waterway, or would you be trespassing on private property? Just asking.:shrug:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Looks to be a State owned Natural area between Rt.6 & 234. I am pretty sure it is privately owned between Rt.s 5 & 6. I know people that own some of this and they restrict hunting. Is this a navigable waterway, or would you be trespassing on private property? Just asking.:shrug:

Navigable is open to interpretation...I'm more interested in the southern end.

PJay

Kayaking is great fun! Only problem, after sitting a while with legs straight forward, I need help out of Kayak. :frown:

Tomcat

Anytime
I'd often wondered if you could start at Rt.5 in Bryantown, how far you could go. John Wilkes Booth suposedly had a guide to get through the swamp to get to the Potomac.

Hessian

I'm getting a sense...

that some of you want to do a SoMd version of "Swamp Loggers?"

We could do a Saturday maybe in April to launch from the 234 with chainsaws, loppers, gloves, etc...and we notch our way as far as our energy takes us,...then let the current bring us home?

(This would not be for the faint of heart)

red_explorer

:)

I'd often wondered if you could start at Rt.5 in Bryantown, how far you could go. John Wilkes Booth suposedly had a guide to get through the swamp to get to the Potomac.

I know my grandfather and his brothers had paths all through the swamp. We heard all the stories, growing up. Their farm backed up to it.... He and his brothers would go out, and come back with baskets of arrowheads...

He also had lots of stories to tell about Dr Mudd and John Wilkes Booth....considering he grew up going to Christmas parties at the Mudd house, and they were all cousins, I am guessing they were true.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I know my grandfather and his brothers had paths all through the swamp. We heard all the stories, growing up. Their farm backed up to it.... He and his brothers would go out, and come back with baskets of arrowheads...

He also had lots of stories to tell about Dr Mudd and John Wilkes Booth....considering he grew up going to Christmas parties at the Mudd house, and they were all cousins, I am guessing they were true.

Have heard about the arrowheads! Since my shark tooth bucket is full, wouldn't mind finding some arrowheads.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
How does someone get started kayaking? Start upper body weight training now? Would it be better to start with a canoe?

Buy a kayak and just do it. We're not talking whitewater kayaking here....Beacon Surplus in Waldorf has a great selection and great prices.