PSA for gun owners

limblips

PREMO Member
I know we have an outdoor recreation forum but this applies to more than just hunters.

In 2012, 73 percent of those reporting guns stolen were not able to give police a serial number or accurate description of the weapons.

Gun owners should record their firearm’s manufacturer or importer, model name, serial number, type and action, caliber or gauge, date acquired, cost and the purchase location.

This information should be kept separate from the firearms (I recommend keeping it in 2 different places). And not on your computer because quite often they steal that along with your guns!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
This information should be kept separate from the firearms (I recommend keeping it in 2 different places). And not on your computer because quite often they steal that along with your guns!

I recommend you photograph the weapon and serial numbers then e-mail it to yourself. The info is on your provider's server, not in your house.

.... also your other valuables

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I recommend you photograph the weapon and serial numbers then e-mail it to yourself. The info is on your provider's server, not in your house.

.... also your other valuables

That's a good idea, I'm going to do that. Thanks!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Have it in two different safes!!!
But not bad to keep it w me as well....

:yay:

dan0623_2000

Guns

Why is it that everyone is so concerned about the dumb gun owner who did not record his serial number or type of gun that someone broke into their house and stole?
How about we double or tripple the prison time for someone who steals a gun?
How about we make the thief pay the owner 2 times the cost of the gun if it is not returned to the owner?
How about we change the law to say no plea barginning a theft of gun charge?
How about we give a tax credit to anyone who buys a gun safe?
If you really want to help make the world a better place to live, start harping on our judicial system to punish the criminal, not the victim of a crime.
Tell the lawmakers to change the law to help the law abiding citizen: not pass some feel good law that does nothing to make the law breakers afraid to do the crime.

limblips

PREMO Member
Why is it that everyone is so concerned about the dumb gun owner who did not record his serial number or type of gun that someone broke into their house and stole?
How about we double or tripple the prison time for someone who steals a gun?
How about we make the thief pay the owner 2 times the cost of the gun if it is not returned to the owner?
How about we change the law to say no plea barginning a theft of gun charge?
How about we give a tax credit to anyone who buys a gun safe?
If you really want to help make the world a better place to live, start harping on our judicial system to punish the criminal, not the victim of a crime.
Tell the lawmakers to change the law to help the law abiding citizen: not pass some feel good law that does nothing to make the law breakers afraid to do the crime

Hey Einstein, if you can't give the authorities the serial number how do you propose they determine it was yours if they do recover it? As regard to your last statement, how is writing down your serial numbers punishing the victim? And how is changing the law going to help the law abiding citizen when his gun is stolen but can't be proven because there is no serial number record? The OP was a suggestion about responsible gun ownership not gun control laws or the judicial system. If you do own guns please don't trouble yourself with recording the serial numbers, a criminal will be very happy if he steals your guns.

dan0623_2000

Maybe I worded things wrong on my last posting and I humbly apologize.
I have heard some law makers say they want laws that would punish the gun owner if they can not immediately give the serial number, make and model of the stolen gun to LEOs.
A responsible gun owner should have this info available.

limblips

PREMO Member
I have heard some law makers say they want laws that would punish the gun owner if they can not immediately give the serial number, make and model of the stolen gun to LEOs.

No problem, I actually agree with your ideas but they were off the OP topic. I have been a victim of gun theft (Winchester 12 gauge pump). The a$$hole was caught. The sentence was 2 years supervised probation and restitution to me of $300.00. What a deterrent! :buddies:

Last edited:
Great ideas:) Just a reminder that a vote on Senate Bill 281regarding gun control may come up as early as Tuesday, February 19th!

bcp

In My Opinion

I agree with you.
part of the responsible thing is knowing what you have, and having the required information on it.