Government gone wild

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"I think it's still stupid and uncalled for," she said. "They ought to be out on the street arresting criminals, not poor, aged ladies."
Hey lady - did you break the law? Then you a criminal!

----------------------------------------

Amish man deported because he refused to be photographed
Could this title BE any more misleading?
Zehr is a Canadian citizen and a member an Old Order Amish sect that takes literally the Bible's prohibition of graven images, which is why he has refused to consent to an immigration photo. Zehr had entered the United States temporarily as a nonimmigrant visitor to live with his wife in Licking Township, Clarion County, about 100 kilometres northeast of Pittsburgh
So guy from a foreign country wants to come live here BUT he doesn't want to obey any of our laws that his 14th century religion forbids. I can understand him not wanting to live in Canada, but he should obey the law or get the hell out. Simple.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by vraiblonde

No Sh!t! What :shrug: you're exempt from being arrested because you are ancient? :confused:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Ease up on the meds Vrai. Throwing a 97 year old woman in cuffs is stupid, especially a sweet old TX lady who used to run a finishing school.

Weren't you ranting just the other day how stupid no tolerance rules in school were, something about a liberal plot, if I recall. Here we have another side of the same coin, cops said they have a "no-exceptions policy". Why is common sense so uncommon?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by jlabsher
Ease up on the meds Vrai. Throwing a 97 year old woman in cuffs is stupid, especially a sweet old TX lady who used to run a finishing school.

Weren't you ranting just the other day how stupid no tolerance rules in school were, something about a liberal plot, if I recall. Here we have another side of the same coin, cops said they have a "no-exceptions policy". Why is common sense so uncommon?

Sorry Vrai... but I'm afraid this might be the first time EVER that I agree with jlab... :frown:

I feel like I've let ya down... :bawl:

She should have been ticketed and fined and done with it.
(Although, I am suspicious that she tried to avoid paying the sticker fees)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I like the way you changed the heading to say parking ticket versus the actual article that says for expired registration. She was operating an illegal vehicle on the roads, they have a no-exception policy, they cuffed her in front and not behind her and probably treated her with kid gloves. As long as they do the same to all others caught doing likewise I see no problem here.

D

darkriver4362

Originally posted by Ken King
As long as they do the same to all others caught doing likewise I see no problem here.

:twitch: Why do I actually agree with you here :twitch:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Hey, the headline said "unpaid ticket". It was a nonmoving violation, mea culpa. Still if it was my mom or grandma I'd be mad, 80 years without a ticket and then this. The mayor apologized in writing. Doesn't say if it was 1 month or 1 year expired either. Sounds heavy handed, call me naive but if I was cuffed and taken to jail for a (1 month) expired registration I'd be hot too.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
She was arrested for a warrant because she:

Kelton was arrested after she neglected to pay a previous ticket for the same expired sticker.

If you do not pay your tickets, as in many states, you get a warrant out on you. You have time to attend a court date, pay the ticket, etc... long before a warrant is attached.

In that article it says the above quote!

If you do not obey the law and pay your fines, you will be picked up on those fines no matter your age.

She probably also got a letter about missing her court date or payment date.

Last edited:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Ken King
I like the way you changed the heading to say parking ticket versus the actual article that says for expired registration. She was operating an illegal vehicle on the roads, they have a no-exception policy, they cuffed her in front and not behind her and probably treated her with kid gloves. As long as they do the same to all others caught doing likewise I see no problem here.

I once got a ticket for having a car parked on the road with expired tags. Needless to say, I was incensed! Because I was planning on getting a ride to get the tags that day, and didn't know it was *illegal* to park a car on the street with expired tags.

I'm sure glad the officer didn't come in beating my door down and cuffing me.

Granted, I "double-read" this time after I put my foot in my mouth in the other tread, and saw that she was in fact driving when she got the ticket, so yeah... she deserved to get a ticket and fine.

I think with an 80 year clean record, the officers could cut a little slack on their zero-tolerance policy and gave her a warning to get it take care of.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

----------------------------------------

Could this title BE any more misleading?
So guy from a foreign country wants to come live here BUT he doesn't want to obey any of our laws that his 14th century religion forbids. I can understand him not wanting to live in Canada, but he should obey the law or get the hell out. Simple.

Clarion is where I came from.. FULL of AMish people.. have to wonder how this even came up.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Originally posted by sleuth14
I once got a ticket for having a car parked on the road with expired tags. Needless to say, I was incensed! Because I was planning on getting a ride to get the tags that day, and didn't know it was *illegal* to park a car on the street with expired tags.

I'm sure glad the officer didn't come in beating my door down and cuffing me.

Granted, I "double-read" this time after I put my foot in my mouth in the other tread, and saw that she was in fact driving when she got the ticket, so yeah... she deserved to get a ticket and fine.

I think with an 80 year clean record, the officers could cut a little slack on their zero-tolerance policy and gave her a warning to get it take care of.

She isn't being arrested for getting a ticket that time. They don't arrest you for your registration being off one time here. It is because she did not pay the PREVIOUS ticket (before that one).

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by FromTexas
Morons! She was arrested for a warrant because she:

If you do not pay your tickets, as in many states, you get a warrant out on you. You have time to attend a court date, pay the ticket, etc... long before a warrant is attached.

In that article it says the above quote!

If you do not obey the law and pay your fines, you will be picked up on those fines no matter your age.

She probably also got a letter about missing her court date or payment date.

Personally, I think she's probably too old to keep up on that stuff.
And since that's my opinion, I'd be interested to see if at 97 years old, she could still pass a driving test. Are they required for license renewal in Texas? IMO it is likely that she shouldn't be driving at all. If she can't keep up on her tickets and tags and responsibilities of driving a car, I wouldn't be surprised if she failed a driving test too.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
She isn't being arrested for getting a ticket that time. They don't arrest you for your registration being off one time here. It is because she did not pay the PREVIOUS ticket (before that one).

It doesn't say she was arrested because she had a warrant for not paying a previous ticket.

It just says she was arrested after she hadn't paid a ticket. Not exactly the same thing.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Personally, I think she's probably too old to keep up on that stuff.
And since that's my opinion, I'd be interested to see if at 97 years old, she could still pass a driving test. Are they required for license renewal in Texas? IMO it is likely that she shouldn't be driving at all. If she can't keep up on her tickets and tags and responsibilities of driving a car, I wouldn't be surprised if she failed a driving test too.

If she is to old, its her problem. She can explain that in court. Courts here are real nice. She can go in, say she has a hard time remembering things, ask for mercy on the fines, and they will probably half them for her.

In fact, most college students here do the same. If you go in, admit your guilt, and talk to the DA handling the situtations, you can often get half off or some other deal. Just let them know you aren't going to fight it, but you just can't afford it. They will work something out.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Really? Yet she's young enough to drive?????

Read the "rest" of my post Vrai... :rolleyes:
I said she's probably too old to drive too. :duh:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
It doesn't say she was arrested because she had a warrant for not paying a previous ticket.

It just says she was arrested after she hadn't paid a ticket. Not exactly the same thing.

If you don't pay your previous ticket by the due date in Texas, its an automatic warrent. Nothing even your friends in PD can do about it.

It will show warrant for failure to appear or unpaid ticket.

Dallas got real big on those about 5 years back when there were some financial situations in the PD, and it was demonstrated how much they were owed in back warrants. Since then, they go about once a year on big warrant collections and they take everyone down who hasn't paid or shown in court.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by jlabsher
a sweet old TX lady who used to run a finishing school.
Do you know this woman? You say she's a "sweet old lady" - just curious how you know she's not a crone from hell?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
If you don't pay your previous ticket by the due date in Texas, its an automatic warrant.

See... there's no way we could have known that from the article. :bonk:

It's the MEDIA's fault. Dumb Liberal media... trying to make it look like the mean ol' conservative Texas PD is holding the 97 yo. woman down! :mad:

Hmmm... does this mean I should no longer be agreeing with jlab on this one?