Drones in the news...

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
First, I hear about a pilot in New York reporting a sighting of a drone (supposedly the FAA & FBI are investigating)....

Drone came within 200 feet of airliner over New York - CNN.com

And then I come home to see this story in the news about US AG Holder saying it's okay for our President to kill American citizens in America with drones...

Holder: Yep, Obama could kill Americans on U.S. soil | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

So, my first question is, "which poor New Yorker pissed off Obama?"

And my 2nd question is, "how bad do things have to get before people wake up??????"

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Does that mean all governments (NYC, NY State, and Feds) have officially denied it was theirs?

According to the report from CNN, FBI is asking anyone with info to contact them. NYPD knows nothing, Port Authority is referring CNN to the FAA.

If it's ours, whoever owns it isn't talking.

Of course, in the alphabet soup above, the CIA is not mentioned...

thurley42

HY;FR
According to the report from CNN, FBI is asking anyone with info to contact them. NYPD knows nothing, Port Authority is referring CNN to the FAA.

If it's ours, whoever owns it isn't talking.

Of course, in the alphabet soup above, the CIA is not mentioned...

Lol it was a quad rotor. Like an ar drone you can buy at sharper image but larger. It's easy as hell to build and operate them for little money and easier to operate.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
as small as a quad is, how did an airline pilot see one as he zipped by @ 300 mph

thurley42

HY;FR
as small as a quad is, how did an airline pilot see one as he zipped by @ 300 mph

It wasn't that small, I've built one that was around 10'x10', you don't approach at 300 kts, more like 170, and your eyes get trained to see things at altitude.:buddies:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I'm surprised they can operate in a busy urban area. Must have gotten a frequency fix. Most of the smaller drones (smaller than a FireScout, etc) used to work on the cell phone frequencies. When I left that program they were still trying to get some freqs from the FCC. FAA also had a load of hoops to jump through trying to avoid any collisions with manned aircraft. Things have come a long way in a few years.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Thanks for all of the info. Didn't see where what was described looked like what you linked to but I may have missed it. It will be interesting to see how this story develops....or doesn't.:coffee:

thurley42

HY;FR
That is a given. I was referring to capabilities due to the frequency issues.

Again, if it's someones homegrown toy, it can be whatever freq they built it to. It's more than likely operating under RC RF.

And with regard to proximity of the airfield, airspace isn't defined solely by distance, you have different altitude restrictions depending on your lateral range...so you can be in proximity to an airport as long as you aren't breaking the 500' mark.

Not saying this individual wasn't breaking any rules, but it seems like the next big mass hysteria will be over anything that is flying under Remote Control will automatically be assumed to be a Reaper....which is ludacris.

Last edited:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Again, if it's someones homegrown toy, it can be whatever freq they built it to. It's more than likely operating under RC RF.

And with regard to proximity of the airfield, airspace isn't defined solely by distance, you have different altitude restrictions depending on your lateral range...so you can be in proximity to an airport as long as you aren't breaking the 500' mark.

Not saying this individual wasn't breaking any rules, but it seems like the next big mass hysteria will be over anything that is flying under Remote Control will automatically be assumed to be a Reaper....which is ludacris.

I bet we know each other in the dirt world. I played with these birds for years.