Paul Ryan's budget is not a blueprint...

Chris0nllyn

...for limited government.

According to his numbers, Ryan’s budget ideas would reduce federal spending as a percentage of GDP from 22.2 percent this year to 19.1 percent in 2023. According to Democrats and liberals, such a savage reduction in the federal footprint would inflict unfathomable pain on various groups of Americans.

Here’s Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD) with the standard Democratic scare-mongering that we can expect to hear over and over again in the coming months:

Instead of insisting on a balanced approach to deficit reduction, Ryan’s budget will demand that our middle class, seniors, veterans, women, children, federal employees, low-income families, and those nearing retirement pick up the tab.

Other than perhaps Oompa Loompas, I believe Rep. Hoyer got’em all (rich males aren’t included because they don’t pay their “fair share”).

Instead of delving any further into Ryan’s numbers, I’m just going to get to my point. Proposing that the federal government borrow and spend less than what is currently projected is certainly better than the alternative. But if your goal is limited government then there has to actually be limits on what all the government is involved in.

I don’t see anything in Ryan’s proposal that would end the federal government’s involvement in education, job training, energy, transportation, etc., etc. Yes, Ryan calls for ending Obamacare, but that wouldn’t end the federal government’s involvement in health care. Yes, Ryan says that higher education subsidies should be capped, but that wouldn’t end the federal government’s involvement in education. And so on. How the federal government delivers the goods would change (e.g., block-granting Medicaid and premium support for Medicare), but more efficient government isn’t the same as limited government.

Ryan Budget Proposal Is Not a Blueprint for Limited Government | Cato @ Liberty

MSTR-P

not only that, but ryans plan keeps all the cuts to medicare and all the tax increases associated with Obama care. However for some reason he is taking a "savings" for ending obama care even though he has no hope in getting that done. its all just smoke and mirrors.

Shall we hold our breath until the dems submit a budget....LOL!

:smack:

thatguy

Shall we hold our breath until the dems submit a budget....LOL!

:smack:

i am sure they can submit a fantasy budget too, obama has every year as far as i know. :shrug:

point being, Ryan paints himself as the fiscal conservative who is willing to make the hard decisions, but his budget shows he is just another tax and spender. Otherwise his budget would cut the tax increases from the fiscal cliff deal and Obamacare, AND make significant cuts.

Chris0nllyn

The title should read...."Over Four Years Late"

To be fair, Obama has submitted a budget every year....they are just completely idiotic.

i am sure they can submit a fantasy budget too, obama has every year as far as i know. :shrug:

point being, Ryan paints himself as the fiscal conservative who is willing to make the hard decisions, but his budget shows he is just another tax and spender. Otherwise his budget would cut the tax increases from the fiscal cliff deal and Obamacare, AND make significant cuts.

I'm sure MSTR-P was talking about the Senate's lack of producing a budget.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Ummm. Until Obamacare is rescinded, the taxes to pay for it must be included in the budget. If the House wishes to rescind Obamacare and its associated taxes, that has to be handled in another piece of legislation. Just so you know that you've made another asinine post.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Otherwise his budget would cut the tax increases from the fiscal cliff deal and Obamacare, AND make significant cuts.

I thought Ryan was proposing going to a two-tier system for income taxes (10% and 25%) versus the 7-tier system (10% to 39.6%) we have now, which seems significant, besides dropping corporate from 35% to 25%.

Now how it can be done while claiming it will be "revenue neutral", by closing/reducing deductions, seems a stretch.

thatguy

Ummm. Until Obamacare is rescinded, the taxes to pay for it must be included in the budget. If the House wishes to rescind Obamacare and its associated taxes, that has to be handled in another piece of legislation. Just so you know that you've made another asinine post.

complex thought is obviously beyond your abilities.

Ryan is counting the savings from eliminating obama care in his budget, he is also keeping the extra revenue from oamacare and the cliff deal in his budget.

just so you know you've made another asinine post :yay:

MSTR-P

I'm not sure if we can call the last minute behind closed door deals that Obama has made actual budgets...but to each his own.

On a different note...Our government has made extremely poor decisions on what to do with and how to spend its money. It is time for tough decisions reducing entitlements people are getting. Obama makes it to easy for folks to sit and do nothing while hard working people get raped by taxes to pay for it. A leaner smarter government is what we need...not one that wants to control every aspect of our lives.