Chesapeake Ranch Estates - Cliff Dweller Charged!!

Vince

Ector caused large rocks (rip rap) to be dumped over the cliff-face. Ector did not obtain a permit to put the rocks into the Chesapeake Bay, as required by the Clean Water Act. The rip rap also scraped away soil on the cliff-face as it slid down the slope, interfering with the critical habitat of an endangered species.
Rocks interfered with habitat?! Give me a effing break will ya. Which bug did they endanger? :doh:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Rocks interfered with habitat?! Give me a effing break will ya. Which bug did they endanger? :doh:

This is the part that actually really mattered...everywhere the water and land meet, this matters:

Ector did not obtain a permit to put the rocks into the Chesapeake Bay

And it's become very difficult to get any kind of shoreline erosion protection approved now; even for what would appear to be very minor construction on low-lying shoreline.

Those big ole rocks might smoosh a few tiger beetles... you know it will be so much better for the beetles AND the bay for those houses and cliffs to collapse than it is to have big ole natural rocks holding them back...:smack:

CalvertActiv

This is the part that actually really mattered...everywhere the water and land meet, this matters:

And it's become very difficult to get any kind of shoreline erosion protection approved now; even for what would appear to be very minor construction on low-lying shoreline.

They are one of the people who got a buy out with federal money. So they illegally dumped tons of large rocks 1-4 feet from the cliff. Which destabilized their cliff as the rocks fell. It's more about doing illegal stuff on public land and the Chesapeake Bay.

CalvertActiv

Those big ole rocks might smoosh a few tiger beetles... you know it will be so much better for the beetles AND the bay for those houses and cliffs to collapse than it is to have big ole natural rocks holding them back...:smack:

Except that is not how it works. If you put in rocks at the bottom of the cliff, because they are so tall, the top of the cliff begins to erode back as the cliff tries to reach an equilibrium angle. Well, when that angle is reached...the house is long gone. There is no easy answer to erosion on 100 foot tall cliffs. Houses should have never been built there on a sandy cliff and now we see why.

Am I the only one that thinks this when you see 'cliff dweller' in the title of these threads?

Attachments

• dweller.jpg
    dweller.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70

Vince

They are one of the people who got a buy out with federal money. So they illegally dumped tons of large rocks 1-4 feet from the cliff. Which destabilized their cliff as the rocks fell. It's more about doing illegal stuff on public land and the Chesapeake Bay.
The article did not say he didn't own it at the time of the dumping.
According to his plea agreement, Ector owned a cliff-front property in Calvert County. From May 28 through May 30, 2010, Ector caused large rocks (rip rap) to be dumped over the cliff-face. Ector did not obtain a permit to put the rocks into the Chesapeake Bay, as required by the Clean Water Act. The rip rap also scraped away soil on the cliff-face as it slid down the slope, interfering with the critical habitat of an endangered species.
The only thing he failed to do was obtain a permit to put the rocks into the Bay.

Except that is not how it works. If you put in rocks at the bottom of the cliff, because they are so tall, the top of the cliff begins to erode back as the cliff tries to reach an equilibrium angle. Well, when that angle is reached...the house is long gone. There is no easy answer to erosion on 100 foot tall cliffs. Houses should have never been built there on a sandy cliff and now we see why.
Have to agree with that one. It's like building your home in a flood zone in New Orleans below Sea Level. :lol:

ladyhawk

The only issue I have with some of these people and others who purchased and/or built along the cliffs is that they expect someone to bail them out for their bad decision once their homes got too close. Some of those located in CRE suggested that the property owners association was responsible at one point. CRE wasn't the one who issued the building permits, the county issue them and that supersedes the association regardless...

I wonder how many, If allowed to, would continue to dump their money into saving their cliffs and remain in their homes or, would they do just enough to make it stable and sell the problem off to someone else..

I'm also starting to think that the Tiger Beetle only became an issue because of the question of responsibility.. So why not use an environmental reason? If the Tiger Beetle was truly the issue, then why didn't the EPA bring suit or fines against the county for the issuance of the building permits...? The EPA may be going too far in some cases but in this case the Tiger Beetle may be a political pawn...

June

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
When I first read this story this morning I thought 2 years probation isn't so bad because he maybe did save his home for a while. Then I heard the full story on the local news and they said he did get 2 yrs probation AND he has to get the rocks up. Not sure how far down the cliff is but that could really be a more damaging project than dumping them down.. Expensive too...

CalvertActiv

When I first read this story this morning I thought 2 years probation isn't so bad because he maybe did save his home for a while. Then I heard the full story on the local news and they said he did get 2 yrs probation AND he has to get the rocks up. Not sure how far down the cliff is but that could really be a more damaging project than dumping them down.. Expensive too...

They will have to hire a marine contractor to bring in a barge to remove the rocks. Lifting the rocks back up the cliff would be very damaging. It will be very expensive.

flhtsteve

Cliffs Court Documents

Here is one 1 of 3 District Court Documents relating to the Cliffs Case.

Attachments

• Cliffs Charging Document.pdf
    226.3 KB · Views: 79