Using Children to propagate more lies...

PsyOps

Pixelated
... about the sequester.

Can you say: "Caught with your pants down"? The Obama admin seems to have no shame in using anyone and everyone to carry out his destructive agenda.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Mike Causey's column today is all about this phenomenon - the need by agencies not to brag and exaggerate about the good they do - but to bellyache about how bad the sequester has been such that they go to great lengths to punish the public rather than find ways to cut back.

I think this will backfire - I think the public will see through this. The cancellation of White House tours for example - it's ridiculous to think that the sequester was SO damaging that tours were cancelled, but the President's golf outings proceed unhindered. I think government agencies know that the cuts will so marginally affect the public that they are creatively creating outrage in order to gin up sympathy.

SamSpade

No can see. Cliffnotes, please?

In a nutshell - the CDC director was owned first by Harris, who knew every number and detail as opposed to the CDC director who relied on the classic "don't know, I'll get back to you on that".

But the primary point was the sequester was less damaging to the CDC than the President's own proposals. So while Republicans had done something so damaging to the CDC that kids weren't getting vaccines, the President's proposals would have been less damaging and they wouldn't have needed to do that at all.

Pretty much proved - you guys are making this stuff up to accuse the Republicans and piss off the public - but you're doing it in a way that damages the public interest.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think this will backfire - .

No, it won't backfire at least not in the sense government spending will successfully be cut. The R's and the D's will dick around for awhile longer, posture and pose, bleat to their base's and then, when a deal is done, no one's funding will be less than it was before, everyone who has been missing work and parts of federal paychecks will be made whole and life, as we know it, will go on.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
No can see. Cliffnotes, please?

You've seen this before. It's the Congressman skewering the CDC director over the sequester threatening to not immunize a couple thousand Maryland kids. Then he tricks the director into admitting that he had earlier promised that a natural budget shrink twice teh size of the sequester wouldn't affect the immunization rate because he could (get this, it's the standard Democrat lie) be more efficient and get rid of waste.

PsyOps

Pixelated
No, it won't backfire at least not in the sense government spending will successfully be cut. The R's and the D's will dick around for awhile longer, posture and pose, bleat to their base's and then, when a deal is done, no one's funding will be less than it was before, everyone who has been missing work and parts of federal paychecks will be made whole and life, as we know it, will go on.

But Ryan said he could do it in 10 years :shrug:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
- but to bellyache about how bad the sequester has been such that they go to great lengths to punish the public rather than find ways to cut back.

Saul Alinsky Tactics ....

.... Obama needed a Crisis to

A. be a hero and save us
B. get Americans to Acquiesce to HIGHER Taxes

I heard on WMAL this AM - Most Gov. Agencies figured out how to cut back WITHOUT furloughs .... but were ordered to furlough by OPM

oh and Carney had to admit, the WH made the call to CUT TOURS, a few hours after Obama was on ABC

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But Ryan said he could do it in 10 years :shrug:

Given that's not the plan he had, what, 6 months ago, imagine what he'll come up with in another 6 months.

Ryan is being an idiot. If I were him, if I KNEW I'd be called a draconian monster NO MATTER what I proposed, why in the flying hell not propose balancing the budget NOW???? If nothing else, it absolutely forces the other side WELL closer to NOW than dicking around with these inane 10 and 20 year plans. It sure ain't gonna matter in terms how they view him and it sure as hell will make him at least seem serious on this side. 10 years. WTF?

We do NOT elect a congress for 10 or 20 years. Or a potus. ANYONE in elected office that proposes a plan that goes well past their ability to see it through should be laughed away and labeled a kook. Go fight to limit soda consumption in NYC so people will be less fat in a generation or two and quit pretending to be serious.

While it might be stylishly 'realist' to argue that it is no longer practical to do two year budgets, that does not change that THAT is what we NEED to be doing much the same that STOPPING the digging, however 'kooky' or unstylish it may be, is the ONLY way to stop the hole from getting deeper. Not slowing down. Not cutting back a tad here and there over 10 or 20 years while relying on subsequent elected leaders to be faithful to YOUR plan. Stop. NOW.

NOW.

tommyjo

While it might be stylishly 'realist' to argue that it is no longer practical to do two year budgets, that does not change that THAT is what we NEED to be doing much the same that STOPPING the digging, however 'kooky' or unstylish it may be, is the ONLY way to stop the hole from getting deeper. Not slowing down. Not cutting back a tad here and there over 10 or 20 years while relying on subsequent elected leaders to be faithful to YOUR plan. Stop. NOW.

NOW.

Nope...wrong approach...as is usually advocated on this board.

Strengthen the economy NOW...fix the budget NEXT. Get people back to work. Get businesses and individuals back to spending. Growth will help the deficit...just like it is already doing. If you all weren't so blinded by your political agendas and lousy sources of information you could see that.

NEXT, fix Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security. Those are our problems. Nothing else in the budget really matters...Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security are the root of the problem...a problem that has been building for 50 years and made worse by past administration actions and a severe recession. Really basic concepts, really basic history.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope...wrong approach...as is usually advocated on this board. .

Perhaps the greatest indictment of your intellect, such as it is, is your incessant need to lump us all together. Especially when I am at odds with so many folks on here over so many issues.

That's not to say I am right on all, or even any of them. It is simply to point out the obvious; you spend more time seeking some sort of lowest common denominator that suits your predetermined 'conclusions' than actually considering what you are reading.

That makes you a really dumb smart person. And that's what is so annoying. You obviously are not stupid.

You're just dumb and dumb is boring. Stop being dumb. Or not.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Strengthen the economy NOW...fix the budget NEXT. Get people back to work. Get businesses and individuals back to spending. Growth will help the deficit... .

And that will occur just as soon as the Stylist in Chief stops causing new and improved confusion and worry every few months. People, business, need things to work from, an understanding of the way things are so they can plan and make decisions and, most importantly, act.

President Obama operates in such a manner that everything he does is suspect and that's bad for business. Wall Street, energy, this green silliness, immigration, healthcare, regulation. Sure, if you are connected, you score, same as any good old boy system. However, that is not how the broader economy works.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
NEXT, fix Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security. Those are our problems. Nothing else in the budget really matters...Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security are the root of the problem...a problem that has been building for 50 years and made worse by past administration actions and a severe recession. Really basic concepts, really basic history.

Fix how? Really basic concepts, like math, prove they are not, on a really basic level, sustainable programs. They are not 'fixable'.

Now, I will grant you, just dicking around with them some more is a sort of stability but, that won't fix them. They've needed 'fixing' for nearly two generations now because of really basic concepts like demographics and the aforementioned 'math' thing. However, really basic history teached us neither party did any 'fixing' when it was much less painful and far easier to do so, therefore, we know they sure as hell won't do it now.

So, a new approach; get rid of that which is not fixable. History. Basic history, really basic history teaches us that that which can not last...doesn't.

:buddies:

PsyOps

Pixelated

Strengthen the economy NOW...fix the budget NEXT. Get people back to work. Get businesses and individuals back to spending. Growth will help the deficit...just like it is already doing. If you all weren't so blinded by your political agendas and lousy sources of information you could see that.

Liberals love to strengthen the economy on the backs of our children, and their children. They are of a ‘I want it NOW’ mentality, be damned the fiscal consequences. The most selfish way I can think of to govern is to place irresponsible governing on the backs of the tax payers. What’s worse is devising little ploys to purposely impose pain on hard-working Americans in order to achieve a political outcome; then blame it on the other side. I seem to remember seeing this in a movie somewhere – Star Wars. The Sith. Fabricate a crisis, cause chaos, then create a diversion to make it look like it was someone else that did it; all the while working in the background to further cause destruction and chaos.

By your own admission, the federal government is broken ‘fix the budget’ – ‘fix Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security’. How in the heck can you expect a government that is not only broken, but is also BROKE, to fix the economy? They need to stop trying to fix it, get off our backs, and let us – THE PEOPLE – fix it. We are far better equipped than the government to fix our own economy, and that is where the responsibility lies. Stop expecting more from the people to send our resources to the government just for the government to turn around and send it back to us. That revolving door has been proven to be a failure. TARP and stimulus - $ trillions $ wasted and here we still are talking about fixing this and that. And we need more stimulus. We need to take more from the people in order to send it back to the people. The insanity is just mind-boggling.

limblips

PREMO Member

If I go to buy a new car and ask for financing and my debt obligations exceed my income do you think I should get the car? Me getting the car will boost the economy and I will be spending (money I don't have and can't repay)!.

SamSpade

No, it won't backfire at least not in the sense government spending will successfully be cut.

Which actually has nothing to do with what I was discussing. I don't disagree with your later points, just that I don't think the public is going to be duped into thinking that the cherry-picked shutdowns aren't anything but political posturing.

I do think that right now, the President's entire agenda is, do nothing significant until the fall of 2014 and try to otherwise stick everything to the Republicans. Then take back the House, and do what he wants.

Thus far, he hasn't shown any willingness to compromise. It's like that scene the other night from "The Walking Dead" where Rick and the Governor meet to craft a compromise, and the Governor admits that he only came to accept his surrender.

And his latest admission that he doesn't see a debt problem whatsoever should confirm - he has no desire to cut spending.

SamSpade

Strengthen the economy NOW...fix the budget NEXT. Get people back to work. Get businesses and individuals back to spending. Growth will help the deficit...just like it is already doing.

On this we agree. Where we disagree is how to do this.

I'm assuming you think that you grow the economy by more government spending and as a side bonus - more government regulation. Most conservatives seem to agree that nothing could be further from the truth.

The way to get America working is to get Americans working. In fact, I see it as advantageous to get Americans working who at the moment have decided to just plain stop working. Get everyone going. You don't do that by taking more of their money and sticking them with a debt.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Which actually has nothing to do with what I was discussing. I don't disagree with your later points, just that I don't think the public is going to be duped into thinking that the cherry-picked shutdowns aren't anything but political posturing. .

And what would be evidence that they weren't duped?

That nothing changes?

"Hold up right there, pal! We ain't a gonna fall for that old trick!"

To which Obama does what? "Gee, you got me. OK, let's cut spending across the board..."

It is MEANINGLESS to 'not fall for' this gimmick or that ham handed attempt at playing politics (as though it's not ALL politics) unless it translates into better policy.

That was my whole point, beginning to end.

SamSpade

And what would be evidence that they weren't duped?

That his approval ratings plummet. That people don't blame Republicans for something he did. That he doesn't get the bump in elections he intended.

You're talking policy. I'm talking politics. It's the difference between a ball players stats, and his public relations and endorsements. One has to do with what he does, and the other with how the public views him.

Even you realize that how the public perceives someone in the public arena frequently has nothing to do with their accomplishments - but everything to do with that person's success.