Senior Citizen Drivers

Force the elderly to re-take the driving test?

• Yes, after the age of 60.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Yes, after the age of 65.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Yes, after the age of 70.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Yes, after the age of 75.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • No.

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sockgirl77

This question has come up before. I did a report about it in high school, as did my brother. I'm curious how everyone feels about it.

Wait for the poll.

thurley42

HY;FR
I said 60....but I think maybe I was a little too harsh....65 is reasonable...that's damn near 50 years in between tests....

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I have had more than one elderly person at my work that should not be driving. You can tell by how slow their reactions are that they could not move fast enough to avoide an accident.

I think EVERYONE should re-take a driving test periodically, not just for the driving skill, but for the written exam.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I'd agree with a simple periodic screening test for everyone. Along with checking your eyesight, check reaction time and ask a few traffic questions. Use the results to determine if further testing is warranted.

All ages seems fair to me. Younger drivers get into the most accidents, so making sure they understand basic traffic laws makes sense even though they won't follow them.

Drivers become safer as they age, and I think it's because most of us have kids and settle down, and our world stops being self focused and we think about the impact on our kids if we die doing something stupid. I think that I had to take a test 20 years ago when I moved to MD, but I'm not sure. If not, then the last time my knowledge was tested was 1982. That's a long time to retain the basics.

My parents and inlaws are in their 70's, and three of them are just fine on the roads. My mom is another story, but I don't think that's age as much as her being psychotic. We notice the ancient geezers like BCP doing 20 in a 50, staying in the left lane, cursing and shaking his fist at anyone passing him. We do need to test to weed them out, but it shouldn't be any more of a test than what we should be doing for everyone.

Five year intervals seems right to me - do it when you renew.

The driving test should not be repeated unless you fail certain parts of the screening test. We can all be on our good behavior while the examiner is in the car, but as soon is the test is done people go back to their normal habits. It wouldn't justify the resources it would take to administer the test.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
Where does it stop? Maybe OP should have had to take a test before popping out so many babies? How about a test to join the forums and post? A test to buy alcohol :shrug:

sockgirl77

Where does it stop? Maybe OP should have had to take a test before popping out so many babies? How about a test to join the forums and post? A test to buy alcohol :shrug:

Oh I do agree with people being asked to take a parenting test/class before they get knocked up. :yay:

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
We notice the ancient geezers like BCP doing 20 in a 50, staying in the left lane, cursing and shaking his fist at anyone passing him. We do need to test to weed them out, but it shouldn't be any more of a test than what we should be doing for everyone.

Do you realize the things bcp has witnessed? The steam engine, horseless carriage, model T, the building of the interstate system. He has been there since day 1.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Do you realize the things bcp has witnessed? The steam engine, horseless carriage, model T, the building of the interstate system. He has been there since day 1.

But he doesn't remember any of it. Have you heard the stories he tells? "Why back in my day I, um, what's for dinner?"

bcp

In My Opinion
In my opinion
starting at 70, a retest every five years or when the have an accident or get pulled over for driving in an unsafe manner.

Most people I know in their 60s are ok at driving as long as they realize their reflexes are not the same as when they were 20.

by 70, age issues can start to affect ones ablilities to an extreme, or not at all.
At 70 I would still ride with my Father, now at 83 I wont let family members out of the house if I know he is heading out.

Last time I rode with him I prayed non stop for over an hour, Im not catholic but I was wishing I had a rosary, I think just to cover all bases, I threw in a few jew prayers in hebrew, and muslim prayer and sacrifice of a small insect I found on the window, and two pagen prayers.

Took that joke to a whole new level, the one where you want to die like your grandfather, peacefully in your sleep, not screaming like the other passengers in his car?

bcp

In My Opinion

By the way, I think when you popped down on my lap last week, you through my damn hip out... Just had that bastard replaced too...

SOB.

MMDad

Lem Putt
By the way, I think when you popped down on my lap last week, you through my damn hip out... Just had that bastard replaced too...

SOB.

He pooped in your lap? Maybe it's a good thing I couldn't stay.