Senate committee approves assault weapons ban

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
he Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday approved a renewed assault-weapons ban, advancing the measure to the Senate floor where it will face intense resistance from Republicans and other gun-rights supporters. The bill was approved by the committee on a party-line, 10-8 vote. Chief sponsor, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said she knows "the road is uphill" for the legislation, but sought to press her colleagues to consider the bill.

"Are we going to stand with the thousands of police chiefs and law enforcement officers who do support this bill? Are we going to stand with the victims of gun violence?" she said, stressing that the bill does not take "any weapons away from anybody" but would ban future purchases.

Republicans, though, described the legislation -- which comes nearly a decade after the last assault-weapons ban expired -- as an ineffective response to a genuine problem.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., noted that so-called assault weapons are used in a scant percentage of murders every year and said a ban would merely provide a "false sense of safety." He critiqued another measure that would limit the size of magazines.
Maybe Feinstein is going to get rid of her armed security?

Try living in the real world lady! Like Detroit.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I got your assault weapon ban right here...

Attachments

• barbietoy.jpg
    barbietoy.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 82

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
I'd say get on the phone to our Senators, and tell them you will refuse to vote for anyone who votes for this bill, but as Maryland residents I am sure we all know that will be little more than an ego stroke.

We should all be gravely concerned about this (at least those who care about freedom and liberty), but I've been thinking a lot lately - hasn't the SCOTUS spoken pretty clearly on the 2nd Amendment? Wouldn't something like this be challenged pretty quickly, and wouldn't it be struck down? I don't know much about the minutiae of constitutional law, but it seems like a pretty clear violation to me. Liberal justices aside, isn't the bench as a whole still considered pretty friendly to the 2nd Amendment?

Vince

Are we going to stand with the victims of gun violence?" she said, stressing that the bill does not take "any weapons away from anybody" but would ban future purchases.
Fienstein is an idiot that doesn't know one end of a gun from the other. We had an assault weapons ban. IT DID NOT WORK!!!! But you can't tell that to the stupids.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Fienstein is an idiot that doesn't know one end of a gun from the other. We had an assault weapons ban. IT DID NOT WORK!!!! But you can't tell that to the stupids.

Thought process: 'but THIS one will work.' 'Let's institute another AWB and watch it be ignored.

Vince

Thought process: 'but THIS one will work.' 'Let's institute another AWB and watch it be ignored.
Yeah, that brings to mind the stimulus signing and spending our way out of the recession. And they want to try it again. :banghead: Hey let's keep trying the same old failed solutions and someday they will work. :doh:

Effing Feinstein just makes me want to.....:banghead::cds::doh::jameo::crazy:

Last edited: