Martial Law in Brooklyn?

MadDogMarine

The NYPD Declares Martial Law in Brooklyn | Alternative

On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.

The people regularly targeted by police harassment and violence, overwhelmingly the city’s poor and minority populations, have taken to the streets to speak out against the NYPD’s draconian tactics. The police have in turn responded with even further harsh measures by suppressing the right of the people to voice dissatisfaction with that very same police force.

Cops kettled protesters at Wednesday night’s candlelight vigil, resulting in 46 arrests. Police even arrested Kimani Gray’s distraught sister, Mahnefeh.

“East Flatbush, Brooklyn is under martial law as the NYPD declares it a ‘frozen zone’. Media are being monitored and kept from moving and reporting freely. Dozens of arrests and much brutality. Kimani was shot in the back seven times; a witness is sure he was unarmed; multiple reports are coming out that the police had been waging a campaign of harassment against the young man (including taunting him about a friend who had died in a car accident and threatening to shoot him when he tried to leave). This is just blocks from where Shantel Davis was shot, dragged from her car and left to bleed to death in the street last summer. After that shooting, police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos. Residents in the neighborhood live in a state of terror. Heartbreaking, enraging, the stuff that riots are made of. This city is at a breaking point.”

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
I realize it's getting increasingly difficult to tell the difference between police and military, but can the police really declare martial law? Has Cuomo declared martial law? Because the governor is the only one who would have the complete authority to do so, as far as I am aware.

Looks like possible 1st Amendment suppression by the police (it's NYC - what else is new?), but martial law by definition means complete control by the military. Not saying that's not the case in Brooklyn, but this article hasn't made that case.

MadDogMarine

I realize it's getting increasingly difficult to tell the difference between police and military, but can the police really declare martial law? Has Cuomo declared martial law? Because the governor is the only one who would have the complete authority to do so, as far as I am aware.

Looks like possible 1st Amendment suppression by the police (it's NYC - what else is new?), but martial law by definition means complete control by the military. Not saying that's not the case in Brooklyn, but this article hasn't made that case.

Most now relate to martial law as the suspension of the constitution by anyone with a badge and a gun. Most know the police will ALWAYS be backed by the national guard etc should they be needed.
As to the exact meaning of Martial Law, traditionally it meant military control.

"The established principle of every free people is, that the law shall alone govern; and to it the military must always yield.' Dow v. Johnson, 100 U.S. 158, 169, 25 L.Ed. 632. "
The military must yield to the supreme law of the land, the constitution?
Well, it used to be that way!. Not any more!

This principle is obviously eroded
. According to the Supreme Court, the term martial law carries no precise meaning (Duncan v. Kahanamoku, 327 U.S. 304, 66 S. Ct. 606, 90 L. Ed. 688 [1946])

So everything relates back to the man with the badge and a gun who submits to the beck and call of some corrupt politician to implement martial law. It is that easy!

glhs837

Power with Control
Hold on, as I know the story, the original deal was the person they are protesting in support of was shot after pulling a .357 on the officers who shot him. There is some question about if he actually did pull a gun, I think two people who have every reason to lie for him have said either "he wouldnt do that", or "he didnt do that".

Now, again, the reports I have read turn your "peaceful protesters" into a mob who has assaulted officers with weapons. Where do we draw the line on allowing the police to control angry mobs whose activities endanger the safety of other citizens?

Video - Protest Against Police Spills Into Brooklyn Rite-Aid Store - WSJ.com

And here's another claim that this "frozen zone" thing isnt a real thing thats happening.

East Flatbush Actually Isn't a "Frozen Zone" - ANIMAL

MadDogMarine

Hold on, as I know the story, the original deal was the person they are protesting in support of was shot after pulling a .357 on the officers who shot him. ........"

There is more than just this to the story. This is the result of an escalation
from previous shootings.
"Tensions are high between Brooklyn residents and the NYPD after an unarmed 23-year-old woman was fatally shot by an NYPD officer in East Flatbush Thursday.
Whether this unarmed woman(with a criminal history)deserved to be shot by cops goes unanswered.
Did the cops fabricate a story she was trying to run them over?
Witnesses said she did not do that. I am sure their testimony served to fuel the anger.
That's the advantage of killing one party. Only one side is left to tell the story.
Lethal force is to be used as the LAST resort. Things have been brewing for a while and it appears people have had enough of the "shoot first ask questions later" mentality.

Autopsy of the male subject showed bullet holes entering his back!. With others saying he never pulled a gun to begin with.
No one blindly trusts police reports any more! That is why a lot of people want to video record cops in public. Cops don't like video! Why? from the original article regarding the girl," After that shooting, police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos."
Is this how you conduct PR work in community? No, you investigate, let the whole truth come out, and charge any guilty as appropriate even if it is a cop's use of excessive force.
Unfortunately, this could likely escalate to full blown military presence.
Unfortunately, none of the above victims get their day in court or an opportunity to call witnesses on their behalf.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The NYPD Declares Martial Law in Brooklyn | Alternative

On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.

The people regularly targeted by police harassment and violence, overwhelmingly the city’s poor and minority populations, have taken to the streets to speak out against the NYPD’s draconian tactics. The police have in turn responded with even further harsh measures by suppressing the right of the people to voice dissatisfaction with that very same police force.

Cops kettled protesters at Wednesday night’s candlelight vigil, resulting in 46 arrests. Police even arrested Kimani Gray’s distraught sister, Mahnefeh.

“East Flatbush, Brooklyn is under martial law as the NYPD declares it a ‘frozen zone’. Media are being monitored and kept from moving and reporting freely. Dozens of arrests and much brutality. Kimani was shot in the back seven times; a witness is sure he was unarmed; multiple reports are coming out that the police had been waging a campaign of harassment against the young man (including taunting him about a friend who had died in a car accident and threatening to shoot him when he tried to leave). This is just blocks from where Shantel Davis was shot, dragged from her car and left to bleed to death in the street last summer. After that shooting, police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos. Residents in the neighborhood live in a state of terror. Heartbreaking, enraging, the stuff that riots are made of. This city is at a breaking point.”

Trying to find any mainstream news source carrying this story, not a one? You'd think declaring martial law, even if it's a limited area, would be a major story.

MadDogMarine

Trying to find any mainstream news source carrying this story, not a one? You'd think declaring martial law, even if it's a limited area, would be a major story.

A lot of confusion exists when this activity occurs. To the marchers, they could have easily described it as Martial Law or the police could have used the term Frozen Zone to justify an arrest. Here is a mainstream coverage of the activity.

If you want to gain control of a situation , you think you would try to avoid inflammatory rhetoric. Not these police?
"Mr. Kelly, the police commissioner, said Tuesday that there was “nothing to indicate that this shooting was outside the guidelines.” Mr. Cerar concurred, saying, “Under the reported circumstances, it appears to be a good shooting.”

It may have been a "good shooting" from a cop's perspective but was it a "good shooting" from the parents perspective?. What a stupid comment that would have been better left unsaid.

New York Times coverage
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/nyregion/teenager-killed-by-new-york-police-was-shot-7-times.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&smid=tw-share

Apparently things have calmed down in the lat 24 hours.
I have seen pictures of barricades which may have been taken down.
There are also less riot police on the scene so some efforts are being made to de-esaclate the situation.
Here is a late report.East Flatbush Actually Isn't a "Frozen Zone" - ANIMAL

BOP

You'd think, but in this day and age, what with the lick-spittle media lapping up anything obama, you just never know.

glhs837

Power with Control
There is more than just this to the story. This is the result of an escalation
from previous shootings.
"Tensions are high between Brooklyn residents and the NYPD after an unarmed 23-year-old woman was fatally shot by an NYPD officer in East Flatbush Thursday.
Whether this unarmed woman(with a criminal history)deserved to be shot by cops goes unanswered.
Did the cops fabricate a story she was trying to run them over?
Witnesses said she did not do that. I am sure their testimony served to fuel the anger.
That's the advantage of killing one party. Only one side is left to tell the story.
Lethal force is to be used as the LAST resort. Things have been brewing for a while and it appears people have had enough of the "shoot first ask questions later" mentality.

Autopsy of the male subject showed bullet holes entering his back!. With others saying he never pulled a gun to begin with.
No one blindly trusts police reports any more! That is why a lot of people want to video record cops in public. Cops don't like video! Why? from the original article regarding the girl," After that shooting, police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos."
Is this how you conduct PR work in community? No, you investigate, let the whole truth come out, and charge any guilty as appropriate even if it is a cop's use of excessive force.
Unfortunately, this could likely escalate to full blown military presence.
Unfortunately, none of the above victims get their day in court or an opportunity to call witnesses on their behalf.
[/QUOTE]

Source for these things? Hard to analyze statements like this when they come out of nowhere with no verifiable source. And five links all quoting the same unverifiable information doesnt lend it any extra veracity. This same tactic goes back to the 9/11 truthers, where they gained this veneer of plausibility through repetition, even though the original sources were for crap.

MadDogMarine

Source for these things? Hard to analyze statements .........[/QUOTE]

Analyze???? How about doing a little research for your self and posting your own conclusions. I never understand why doing a google search is so difficult, especially from people who complain about others' postings as being a conspiracy theory.
Do the research and formulate your own "conspiracy theory" that all these news reports are lies!

Autopsy of the male subject showed bullet holes entering his back!.
Simple google search "Kimani Gray shot in back" results in multiple news reports you can pick to your liking.

With others saying he never pulled a gun to begin with.
Simple google search "Kimani Gray never pulled a gun" results in multiple news reports you can pick to your liking.

police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos."
Simple google search "Shantel Davis+ police confiscate deli videos" results in multiple news reports you can pick to your liking. This is just one.
NYPD Shooting of Brooklyn Teen Sparks Outrage and Protest | The BQ Brew

"The incident that ended Davis’ life came after she crashed a Toyota Camry that police claim was stolen — a charge the family disputes — at a busy intersection in East Flatbush. While she was trapped inside the vehicle by the car’s airbags, narcotics officer Phillip Atkins shot Davis in the stomach and pulled her onto the pavement where she bled to death. Police confiscated video of the slaying, supposedly as evidence. But nine months have passed since the killing and Atkins, an officer with a long paper trail documenting incidents of brutality and false arrests, remains on desk duty at the 67th Precinct in the same neighborhood – the same station from which the officers who shot Gray operated."

glhs837

Power with Control
And when I search for the shot in back thing, I find the thing that he was shot seven times, four from the front, three from the back. Which is a bit different than simply "shot in the back". Which is sort of my point. Shot in the back as a consequence of being shot in the front is a bit different than simply being shot in the back.

Witnesses? Me, I hate eyewitnesses, they suck. Video? Audio?

AS for the video thing, I searched it, and dont find anything reputable about videos being confiscated. Just more regurgitated blog posts. "News" not any news agency I can find in that mess.

Car was stolen, only the family disputes that, shooting was accidental, police acknowledge that, the "long paper trail documenting incidents of brutality and false arrests", from the only halfway reputable source I can find, actually turns into this......

"Foy claimed the family had heard several allegations of excessive force by Atkins, including one instance when a family's house was allegedly searched without a warrant, and another in which Atkins shot at a neighbor's car. He declined to provide details of the incidents, but asked other neighbors to come forward with stories of their experiences with Atkins."

So heresay stories from the family becomes a long paper trail? See what I mean. When any reporter twists a story that much, you have to wonder....apply analytic thinking without bias, it works wonders.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Some are saying the police department of New York City couldn't declare martial law and suspend Constitutional rights. Are you folks forgetting this is Michael Bloomberg's city and he can suspend any Constitutional right he doesn't like? This wouldn't be the first, or even the tenth time he's pulled such a stunt.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Some are saying the police department of New York City couldn't declare martial law and suspend Constitutional rights. Are you folks forgetting this is Michael Bloomberg's city and he can suspend any Constitutional right he doesn't like? This wouldn't be the first, or even the tenth time he's pulled such a stunt.

Which ones has he suspended?

glhs837

Power with Control
Source for these things? Hard to analyze statements .........

Analyze???? How about doing a little research for your self and posting your own conclusions. I never understand why doing a google search is so difficult, especially from people who complain about others' postings as being a conspiracy theory.Do the research and formulate your own "conspiracy theory" that all these news reports are lies!

So, just to make this clear. What you call "news reports, I see as repetitive blogs posts regurgitating the same information. Now, some might see the stuff I report from say stopbigbrotherMD and thenewspaper.com as similar, but there is a very crucial difference.

When those blogs report news, they give a link to reputable news sources outside themselves. Articles they develop themselves are rife with PDFS of original documents and references to outside sources.

All of the blogs that your searches turn up have none of that, just vauge references to stuff that cannot be verified. You want me to research, hell, I'm the king of that, but research requires more than reading the same bogus crap three times and deciding that since three people bought the same line of crap, it must be good crap. P. T. Barnum loved people like that.

Now, with all that said, am I taking the officers side? Nope, I know there are bad cops and corrupt organizations, but you need more than some heresay to take them down, you need proof.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Gun possession count yet? Then there's that Big Gulp issue. I don't suppose meddling in the gun ownership of citizens in other states counts either.

The big gulp hardly falls under constitutional protection, meddling needs a little more explanation. The gun possession issue started before he was even born. I'm not saying that he's not been at the lead of trying to screw people out of there rights, but I think you're attributing more to him than he's had a chance to do.

MadDogMarine

When those blogs report news, they give a link to reputable news sources outside themselves.
Who would that be? MSM?? Give me a freakin break!
Do a google search with this simple insert "MSM lies"

Articles they develop themselves are rife with PDFS of original documents and references to outside sources
Who would that be ? other MSM sources? Ha! what a joke!
The most prolific way MSM lies is by omission.
Here is a reference to your reputable source of information:And you claim bloggers are giving uncredible information????

Inept stenographers - Salon.com
"A confession in yesterday’s New York Times reveals that even the stenography produced by our nation’s most esteemed media outlets is anything but accurate: rather, it’s contrived and distorted by the very people whom these media outlets purport to cover adversarially. The article describes how many American media outlets, including the NYT, give veto power to the Obama campaign (and, less so, to the Romney campaign), as well as political offices generally, over the quotes of its officials that are allowed to be published:"

All of the blogs that your searches turn up have none of that, just vauge references to stuff that cannot be verified.

That is EXACTLY why you don't shoot an kill people indiscriminately and they are allowed their day in court so "sworn testimony" can be presented.

Now, with all that said, am I taking the officers side? Nope, I know there are bad cops and corrupt organizations, but you need more than some heresay to take them down, you need proof.
That proof would have come in the deceased "day in court" that is not going to happen any day soon, now is it?. How convenient to take a position that everything is hearsay when there will never be a court date, how convenient indeed!

My days of trusting MSM are over. I will take the blog post of someone on the ground, alternative posts where other "on the ground" bloggers can refute it by claiming they were also there, over a choreographed, edited ,
biased version from MSM any day.

Here is one blogger who now sees the light about MSM, your "reputable" source for information.

MSM Lies: It’s Still Unconfirmed Whether Guns Used in Sandy Hook Shooting Were Registered to Nancy Lanza | LeakSource
"According to CT State law, gun registration information is not to be disclosed. Apparently we will never have proof of who those guns belonged to. But that won’t stop the media from telling us that those guns were Nancy Lanza’s. And then why is Lt. Vance telling us they’re gonna trace these guns and find out everything about them? He forgot to tell us that we’ll never be seeing any of that information. And we’re supposed to trust the people (local and federal officials) who have already been shown to be proven liars over their “Henry repeating rifle and Enfield” “mispeaks”? Or the people (local and federal officials) who can’t tell the difference between 4 and 2? (handguns found on Adam Lanza)"

Another (honest) MSM reporter Amber Lyon worked for NPR and CNN. She had to leave because of the censorship. Google her name for more info.
Her statement
"I saw first-hand that these regime claims were lies, and I couldn’t believe CNN was making me put what I knew to be government lies into my reporting."

Sorry buddy, MSM is dead in this country, Credibility is close to zero!

glhs837

Power with Control
Right, but your "ground truth" turns out to be one report with no verification, it's only claim to "truth" is the fact that people have repeated the allegations that have no factual basis we have seen. My point is not blind trust in the MSM, but to apply the same critical eye you do to the MSM to ALL media, including bloggers.

What about your blog sources says they have verified accurate information, not just heresy from admittedly biased sources? Nothing I can find, if it's there, please show me. I'm open to other soruces of info, but they have to have more going for them than the fact that they agree with my preconceived notions.