Paul Ryan: There is no debt crisis

Password

Ryan: U.S. doesn't have a debt crisis yet - CBS News

cbsnews said:
"we are the healthiest-looking horse in the glue factory," Ryan said. "That means America is still a step ahead of the European nations who are confronting a debt crisis, of Japan, that's in its second lost decade. It's probably because of our resilient economy, because of our world currency status.

"So we do not have a debt crisis right now," Ryan continued. "But, we see it coming. We know it's irrefutably happening. And the point we're trying to make with our budget is, let's get ahead of this problem."

The cost of the Iraq war was $3.2 to 4 trillion.
Did we sell war bonds to pay for this like in WW2? Did we ask Americans to sacrifice, to do without nylon or steel?

No, we gave the richest Americans a Tax Cut.

So when Ryan says stuff like:

"So we do not have a debt crisis right now, but, we see it coming. We know it's irrefutably happening"

It was caused by him. He knows it's real because he helped make it happen.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
[The cost of the Iraq war was $3.2 to 4 trillion.

Where did you come up with that number? I saw a recent estimate of 2.2 trillion and that included something like 500 billion for the future lifetime care costs of wounded vets.

Password

Where did you come up with that number? I saw a recent estimate of 2.2 trillion and that included something like 500 billion for the future lifetime care costs of wounded vets.

Financial cost of the Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most recent major report on these costs come from Brown University in the form of the Costs of War project,[1] which said the total for wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan is at least $3.2-4 trillion.[1] The report disavowed previous estimates of the Iraq War's cost as being under $1 trillion, saying the Department of Defense's direct spending on Iraq totaled at least $757.8 billion, but also highlighting the complementary costs at home, such as interest paid on the funds borrowed to finance the wars and a potential nearly $1 trillion in extra spending to care for veterans returning from combat through 2050.[1] An update in 2013 topped this at US$6 trillion.[2]

Password

Wiki as a source? :doh:

Well, I could use FoxNews, and they might say it cost fifty bucks. Then I could check with ThinkProgress, and they'd estimate the cost at $500 quadrillion.

Its tough to find a non-partisan source on the web.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Well, I could use FoxNews, and they might say it cost fifty bucks. Then I could check with ThinkProgress, and they'd estimate the cost at $500 quadrillion.

But you chose Wiki instead. Riiiiiiight!

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss

Toxick

Splat

Al Jazeera. BBC. NHK Radio Japan.

They have no dogs in our political fights, and there is a minimum of Obama fecal matter on the tips of their noses. They're usually pretty objective.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Dismissive attempt at redirection via snark: Fail. :coffee:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
nah...give him a pass. he's right...one source will low ball while the other will extremely high ball...his opinion has stayed kinda neutral

I'm not sure I would consider using an estimate for the total cost of a wide range of military actions as my assertion total for just one..."neutral".

Gain..the most credible/neutral estimate I've seen so far is that the Iraq war will eventually (by 2050 or so) cost 2.2 trillion dollars, having cost something over 1 trillion to date.

A tragic waste of treasure and blood in my humble opinion..but that's a separate topic altogether. Frankly...I'm expecting the post-US Afghanistan to be a bigger failure; I don't see that country operating under anything resembling a stable and democratically-elected gummint for even a year after we're gone.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The cost of the Iraq war was $3.2 to 4 trillion.
Did we sell war bonds to pay for this like in WW2? Did we ask Americans to sacrifice, to do without nylon or steel?

No, we gave the richest Americans a Tax Cut.

So when Ryan says stuff like:

"So we do not have a debt crisis right now, but, we see it coming. We know it's irrefutably happening"

It was caused by him. He knows it's real because he helped make it happen.

Why can’t you liberals be honest about the Bush tax cuts? EVERYONE GOT A TAX CUT, not just the rich.

What do tax cuts have to do with the cost of the wars? Have you ever done the math of the cost of wars vs. the debt?

Password

What do tax cuts have to do with the cost of the wars? Have you ever done the math of the cost of wars vs. the debt?

Well for one, Bush was the first president to ever cut taxes while at war. Spending lots of money blowing up terrorists while decreasing revenue is going to create a debt acceleration. The GOP likes to forget that, and suddenly blame ALL of the debt on the following administration. I'm just amazed that the debt was never a problem until Mr. Obama took office.

That said, Obama is not innocent either. There have been efforts to reduce this debt, but never enough for the GOP, nor ever as much as the GOP would put in place if they were in charge.

Neither side wants to reduce the debt, but they sure enjoy blaming the other side for much of it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The very worst estimate I've seen for Iraq puts it at just over a trillion.

Worst one I've seen is it cost us the nation.

Add up the cost of the TSA, DHS, the enormous security dollars that have every Mayberry PD armed to the teeth with MRAP's and all sorts of goodies their people have no clue how to operate (there is a hilarious picture floating around of some Rambo'd up guy in NYC last week with his aimpoint on his M-4...backwards).

And this is to say nothing of the costs of $100 oil which is a direct result of the war. That's well over $5 trillion alone right there, since '03 off to Iran and Saudi and Venezuela and Russia and our other friends.

And this is to say nothing of the 5,000 some odd dead American troops and, what 50,000 or so, crippled.

But, hey. We're safe!

:yahoo: