Top 10 Defining Moments of Ronald Reagan

Salvador

One Nation Under God
Ronald Reagan is one of my few earthly heroes. As a kid, I was much more politically precocious than most kids, and Reagan got my attention. I was enthralled by him and what he had to say, and I wished to be able to vote for him. Fortunately, millions of Americans were equally enamored (or at least disgusted by Jimmy Carter) enough to sweep him into the presidency. And for eight years the country had the privilege of his leadership.

What is it about Ronald Reagan that was so appealing to so many people? I really do believe that part of it was the deep dissatisfaction with Carter and his policies and personality. Disastrous foreign policy and economic misery were the hallmarks of the Carter years, and Reagan presented an alternative. Reagan brought a can-do attitude to the table, while Carter’s attitude basically boiled down to, “Things are tough. Deal with it.” Reagan’s optimism and cheer stood in stark contrast to Carter’s dour seriousness.

But it wasn’t just what Reagan wasn’t that made him an attractive candidate. He stood for so much that Americans found to their liking. Reagan’s deep, honest faith in God and in America, his belief in the power of the market to create a strong economy, his confidence in his nation’s leadership on the world stage, and his innate trust in the unique potential of every individual came together to capture the American spirit and lead to the best presidency of my lifetime. And I believe his was among the best presidencies in our history.

So, in conjunction with the thirtieth anniversary of his inauguration (January 20, 1981) and the upcoming hundredth anniversary of his birth (February 6, 1911), I have compiled a list of ten of Ronald Reagan’s defining moments. These aren’t necessarily the top accomplishments or most momentous occasions of his presidency, but I believe they speak to why he was such a successful leader.

The Top 10 Defining Moments Of Ronald Reagan’s Presidency | NewsReal Blog

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All you have to do is click on the link I supplied and even losers like you can figure it out. But NO. You provide me with the very same link I posted!

:killingme:killingme:killingme

DumbASS!

Don't know how to use the quote feature, I'm guessing?

tommyjo

It's really interesting how fans of Mr. Reagan cling to the notion that tax reform spurred the economy back to life...it is noted in this article at least twice. There are two reasons that is interesting:

First it is an enduring social myth...the recession was caused by the Fed's determination to kill inflation by raising interest rates...once interest rates were lowered, the economy took off. The tax reductions helped, but by no means were tax reductions the sole reason for the recovery.

Second, from page 6 Mr. Reagan is quoted as saying:

"Carefully, we have set out on the road to recovery. We will not be deterred. We will not be turned back. I reject the policies of the past, the policies of tax and tax, spend and spend, elect and elect."

Well, what Mr. Reagan actually did was cut taxes and spend, spend, spend. Annual deficits under his administration were horrible...and they happened in the midst of a rapidly expanding economy. On top of this, his mantra was deregulation. His economic policies set the tone for Republican policy that lasts to this day...policies that have done nothing but harm. (protect the big guy, screw the little guy...lax or non-existent regulations...deficits are irrelevant...these are the economic hallmarks of the Reagan years.)

From a foreign policy perspective and from the "cheerleader in chief perspective", Mr. Reagan was a very good president. His acting background allowed him to give a great speech. He did love this country more than he loved his party. I don't think you can say that about many of our current folks in DC from either party. From a domestic, economic policy standpoint though... he wasn't so good.

As I finish the article that was posted, I wonder if you noticed that there most of these "defining moments" are speeches? Very few actual accomplishments...

Guess that makes my point about his acting background.