Schools Ban 'Human Target' Games

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Dodgeball Removed From Windham, NH Schools

The classic gym class game has been a rite of passage for years, but dodgeball may have met its match in the form of the Windham School board, which at a recent meeting voted 4-1 to end dodgeball and other so-called “human target” activities, games with names like bombardment and slaughter.

“It’s almost turning into a nanny state,” said school board member Dennis Senibaldi, the one school board member who voted against the ban. “What happens when they replace that game with something different that another group doesn’t want to play, do we eliminate that group of games?”

The school district tells WBZ-TV a handful of parents had complained about bullying–that their kids were targeted during dodgeball–the district then studied the issue, and a special committee recommended the games be ended.

“I think they’re really fun because they’re just soft balls so it doesn’t hurt if it hits you,” said sixth-grade student Lindsey Stagg.

Stephanie Wimmer, the school board’s vice chair, tells WBZ-TV the board is always “looking at our curriculum” for changes.

Wimps

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We're raising an entire generation of whimps and entitlement brats..

Windham should have built a fence around their town and kept all the Mazzholes out of there.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
I loved dodgeball.
except when the other team got the amazon boychild.
That SOB would knock you off your feet when he hit you.. loved it when he was on our team though.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have worn glasses, since the 2nd grade, either I got them broken, rammed into my face, or could not see the ball coming

THAT did not stop me from going out and playing

at a summer camp I attended as a teen, we played dodge ball in a CAGE ...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I wish Nicholas' school played dodge ball..

He's starting to get a little whimpy and whiney and needs to get knocked down a few times so he can get back up a little tougher.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have worn glasses, since the 2nd grade, either I got them broken, rammed into my face, or could not see the ball coming

Yeah, well we were so tough, we held the ball and threw the kid!!

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I got a tooth knocked out and ended up swallowing it during a game of dodgeball. Even after that, I still enjoyed playing it in Gym. Anything was better than square dancing and that stupid parachute thing.

thurley42

HY;FR

You can do that every weekend in the summer at Peabody's in Va Beach! You even win money!

Misfit

Lawful neutral

"summer camp" we just called it juvie. :shrug:

ylexot

Super Genius
"Dodgeball is a sport of violence, exclusion, and degradation. So, when you're picking players in gym class, remember to pick the bigger, stronger kids for your team. That way you can gang up on the weaker ones, like Winston here."

- Patches O'Houlihan

I used to be deadly in dodgeball. Oh wait, bad way to phrase it. :biggrin:

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
"Dodgeball is a sport of violence, exclusion, and degradation. So, when you're picking players in gym class, remember to pick the bigger, stronger kids for your team. That way you can gang up on the weaker ones, like Winston here."

- Patches O'Houlihan

I used to be deadly in dodgeball. Oh wait, bad way to phrase it. :biggrin:

I'm wondering if the Sandy Hook shooter ever played DodgeBall.. I'm betting not.

I'm betting he was the kind of kid that they stopped playing these games for.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
They should ban wrestling too,
kinda hard to say that both participants came out even when 3 hours after the match one of them is at McDonald's having the bathroom floor dollar menu special and the other is in the ER with doctors trying to figure out the best way to unpretzle him.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Yup. And try four-way dodge ball in an about a 25 yard per side, fenced in square with about 15 people per side and 15 balls of varying sizes. Talk about getting blindsided. Head shots are illegal, and get you tossed, which will hurt your team score for the week.

Been doing that game at our church camp for 35 years. I am glad that I referee now, but the kids still love it, and demand it.

And, we also do riflery (.22) and archery at paper (for points)/cans/shoes/hats - whatever the kids want to ruin -targets.

We have turned into such an un-nation of wimpified scaredy-cats.......exactly what the liberals and progressives want.

Last edited:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
The school district tells WBZ-TV a handful of parents had complained about bullying–that their kids were targeted during dodgeball–the district then studied the issue, and a special committee recommended the games be ended.

Good grief.....isn't pretty much EVERYONE a target in dodgeball? We called it 'murder ball' back in the day and we used those red rubber playground balls, not Nerf sponges. I used to hate playing against the 8th graders in 7th grade because they hit to hurt and some of them had a wicked fastball. Sometimes it left a mark but I never saw anyone injured or incapacitated from it and we all lived to tell about it. We are raising a generation of wimps that can't fend for themselves. I fear for our species.

sockgirl77

Good grief.....isn't pretty much EVERYONE a target in dodgeball? We called it 'murder ball' back in the day and we used those red rubber playground balls, not Nerf sponges. I used to hate playing against the 8th graders in 7th grade because they hit to hurt and some of them had a wicked fastball. Sometimes it left a mark but I never saw anyone injured or incapacitated from it and we all lived to tell about it. We are raising a generation of wimps that can't fend for themselves. I fear for our species.

Those balls hurt like a mother ####er and I'm quite glad that it is banned. There are so many other sports that kids can learn in PE. I'm happy that PE is now focusing more on Health as well.