Back Creek Bistro

Pete

Repete
Had a hot date last night and went to Back Creek Bistro. It was great. I even violated my "No ordering prime rib on any night but Friday or Saturday" rule. Food was awesome, service was awesome, experience was awesome.

It does pain me when a perfectly good place sits nearly empty though. It typically means it is on the way out. BCB is a great place at a poor location. Next time you are sitting there thinking about where to go, keep BCB in mind. Give it a shot and try it out. It is a non chain locally owned place, patronizing it keeps it alive and a viable option to the chain joints and Chicks dig it.

Started off with the mussels for appetizer. The mussels were plump and tasty but the best part was dunking the hot rolls in the broth they came in. We got a huge bowl and not a one was left.

I had the king cut prime rib with garlic mashed and asparagus. Everything was perfect. My date had the fillet and from the look on her face she was pretty happy with it or she was just enjoying the hell out of my company.

Finished off with dessert of a berry cake with marscapone that was pretty incredible.

All that and a bottle of Merlot later the check was $100. Not suggesting BCB to take the place of hitting Cracker Barrel twice a week but well worth going to for that monthly or bi-monthly date night with your SO.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
from the look on her face she was pretty happy with it or she was just enjoying the hell out of my company.

Probably both :biggrin:

It always pains me when there's a line a mile long waiting to get into Outback or Applebee's and places like BCB are empty. I just don't get the chain restaurant herd mentality and don't care to spend my money on food from a bag that's been heated in the microwave.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

It always pains me when there's a line a mile long waiting to get into Outback or Applebee's and places like BCB are empty. I just don't get the chain restaurant herd mentality and don't care to spend my money on food from a bag that's been heated in the microwave.

Same thing as pop music. You get told enough times what is good, most people just go along to get along.

Put another way, BCB and the like are for the discerning person. You know, King Diamond fans.

:evil:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Had a hot date last night and went to Back Creek Bistro. It was great. I even violated my "No ordering prime rib on any night but Friday or Saturday" rule. Food was awesome, service was awesome, experience was awesome.

It does pain me when a perfectly good place sits nearly empty though. It typically means it is on the way out. BCB is a great place at a poor location. Next time you are sitting there thinking about where to go, keep BCB in mind. Give it a shot and try it out. It is a non chain locally owned place, patronizing it keeps it alive and a viable option to the chain joints and Chicks dig it.

Started off with the mussels for appetizer. The mussels were plump and tasty but the best part was dunking the hot rolls in the broth they came in. We got a huge bowl and not a one was left.

I had the king cut prime rib with garlic mashed and asparagus. Everything was perfect. My date had the fillet and from the look on her face she was pretty happy with it or she was just enjoying the hell out of my company.

Finished off with dessert of a berry cake with marscapone that was pretty incredible.

All that and a bottle of Merlot later the check was $100. Not suggesting BCB to take the place of hitting Cracker Barrel twice a week but well worth going to for that monthly or bi-monthly date night with your SO.

We had a meet n greet there a couple weeks ago. Not one complaint- everything was outstanding!

tipsymcgee

I agree with the posts as to why places with better food don't succeed. But lots of people don't go out to eat for the food alone. They go out because they need to be seen on a social level and go wherever a crowd will be or wherever they have a better chance to be "seen." Silly reality. A good place off the beaten path still has a less chance of success than a mediocre one right on the highway.

MMDad

Lem Putt
It does pain me when a perfectly good place sits nearly empty though.

There's no visibility. So easy to forget it even exists. I understand that they probably don't have a huge budget for advertising, but they need to do something. Anyone know if they do well over the summer with boaters?

MMDad

Lem Putt

I drive past the chains at least twice a day. They have visibility. Does Back Creek even have any signs up? I can't remember seeing them.

If it hadn't been for the M&G I wouldn't have known they were still in business. Thanks for having it there though - it is excellent.

But it's not just the chains - Catamaran's was frequently packed, and they sucked worse than the chains. At least the chains are consistent, while you never knew what was going to suck at Catamaran's. But they had visibility.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree with the posts as to why places with better food don't succeed. But lots of people don't go out to eat for the food alone. They go out because they need to be seen on a social level and go wherever a crowd will be or wherever they have a better chance to be "seen." Silly reality. A good place off the beaten path still has a less chance of success than a mediocre one right on the highway.

That's a good point and explains it quite well; people don't seek bad food and bad service; they have social issues and the chains, the mediocre place in the right place, serves the larger goal.

I think that can be translated to politics as well; we don't want bad government per se. It's just that we have, again, social and professional considerations and there's no real benefit in being the outspoken guy on gun control/abortion/the wars/et al. Better to get that promotion or what have you by being a 'normal' person...who goes to the chains. Because it's the done thing. :lol:

Pete

Repete
Chains provide what the "typical American" wants. Face it, the typical American is not interested in a $29 Prime rib with a kick ass red wine reduction and other foods that are liberally labeled "exotic" like asperagus :lol:

They want :

1. Affordable. Because so many people eat out multiple times a week now they cannot hit a place like BCB. They can however go to Olive Garden or Cracker Barrel a couple times for what it costs to go to local places.

2. Visibility. Local places tend to be a little bit off the beaten path because they don't have the capital to get the high end realestate. people want easy in-out and don't want to drive off the beaten path.

3. Consistency/Risk. Chains have engineered the prep process down so much not even the biggest window licker can screw it up. The Chicken and Dumplin's at a Cracker Barrel in the middle of Alabama will be EXACTLY the same as it was last week in Boise Idaho. This makes them less risk. If I get a bad $12 meal it's mildly iritating. If I take a shot at a local place and they provide a crappy meal that costs me $40 I am pissed.

4. Emotionless reasearch. Art is ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED his BBQ sauce is the Best in the world. If anyone disagrees they are neandethals who don't know good BBQ. He stubbornly sticks with what HE likes to his peril. Chains have no emotional attachment. They do market research, testing and opinion polls, turn it all into numbers and presto the stuffed jalepino is born.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of the other things I like about BCB and other high-end local restaurants:

You almost never see kids in there. And certainly not squalling kids running around the dining area, bothering the patrons.

That, to me, is worth the price tag and I'm perfectly okay with places like Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans existing for just that purpose - family dining. A seat for every ass. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Art is ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED his BBQ sauce is the Best in the world. If anyone disagrees they are neandethals who don't know good BBQ.

I am inclined to agree with Art on this. Every time I've jacked his recipe and served it at a party it's gotten rave reviews. In fact, I'm taking it to a BBQ today and I know from past experience to make a LOT of it because people end up practically drinking it.

Pete

Repete
I am inclined to agree with Art on this. Every time I've jacked his recipe and served it at a party it's gotten rave reviews. In fact, I'm taking it to a BBQ today and I know from past experience to make a LOT of it because people end up practically drinking it.

For piss sakes don't tell him I gave you the formula!

Pete

Repete
prime rib is good any night of the week

Well I have a long history with prime rib. I love it. Most places only prepare it on Friday or Saturday nights. If you older it any other night of the week 9 times out of 10 it is beef left over from Friday or Saturday, sawed off and heated in broth, grilled or even worse.......microwaved.

Afte the couple dozen times getting obviously left over prime rib I created the "No prime rib unless it is Friday or Saturday" rule.