Yes, Let’s Keep Government Out of Marriage

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yes, Let’s Keep Government Out of Marriage

What’s happening now is that gay marriage advocates are attempting to use the state to change marriage. When they say Christians are trying to use the state to legislate their version of marriage, they are full of crap. All Christians are doing is defending an institution that already exists from being changed to something is has never been.

It is the gay marriage advocates who want to force, by the power of the state, a pre-existing institution to change. If the state has the power to change the definition of an institution that it did not create, the state can force everyone to do so. It is already happening in this country at the state level.

Marriage may evolve to include gays one day. But the time is not there year. The laws enacted cross the country to preserve the status quo are just that — there to keep the state, via the courts or legislature from changing an institution neither the courts nor legislatures of the several states created, but chose to recognize.

Let’s be clear here — you can support gay marriage, but don’t tell me Christians are trying to legislate their version of marriage. The only people trying to legislate, from the bench or otherwise, are gay rights advocates who refuse to let the institution naturally evolve because of their own impatience for the trappings of normalcy in a society that has long viewed them as outside the mainstream.

That the loudest proponents of gay marriage advocates cannot even be honest in what’s going on loudly suggests they are not being honest when they say they’re cool with conscientious objectors to the whole idea. Consider, for example, this blog post from the Cato Institute entitled, “We Support Gay Marriage but Oppose Forcing People to Support It.”

They files an amicus brief in support of Elane Photography, which was punished in New Mexico for refusing to help a gay wedding. Cato bases its defense on photography being protected by the first amendment. But note this:

Our brief explains that photography is an art form protected by the First Amendment because clients seek out the photographer’s method of staging, posing, lighting, and editing. Photography is thus a form of expression subject to the First Amendment’s protection, unlike many other wedding-related businesses (e.g., caterers, hotels, limousine drivers).

So if you are a Christian caterer, bed and breakfast, etc. too bad. You will be forced to provide services to a gay wedding. You will be made to by the power of the state. That’s where we are headed. If the state has the power to change the definition of an institution it did not create, the state can compel your services to that institution.

Last edited:

tommyjo

Govt is already in marriage.

Where did DOMA come from?

To get married, what is one of the things you must have? A marriage license.

To get divorced, you go thru the court system.

Govt is already in marriage...

somdwatch

Really?

Govt is already in marriage.

Where did DOMA come from?

To get married, what is one of the things you must have? A marriage license.

To get divorced, you go thru the court system.

Govt is already in marriage...

Those are government charges related/required to get married in a state. The service is performed by a church TRADITIONALLY. As marriage is a religious sacrement. It shouldn't be dictated by any government in the traditional sense. Personally, when I went to the court house, they didn't call it a marriage but a civil union.

If they want to get married, let it be a civil union. And no, they shouldn't become a member of the ENTITLEMENT state, which is really what they are after, they don't give those entitlements out to common law marriages where applicable.

Government is involving itself in the churches sacrements and that is against the separation of Chuch and State laid out by the consitution.

sockgirl77

Okay ETC/GURPS...

Enough with the gay marriage threads. Tell us how wonderful your hetero marriage is. :rolleyes:

Ban marriage.

sockgirl77

my marriage is FINE ....... how is yours

Oh Wait ......... nevermind

I got married and divorced young. Want to talk about your track record then/now? I, along with others, have PMs waiting. :popcorn:

Warning: Do NOT toss my name in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with me.

My point... Do not judge others.

Hank

my war
I got married and divorced young. Want to talk about your track record then/now? I, along with others, have PMs waiting. :popcorn:

Warning: Do NOT toss my name in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with me.

My point... Do not judge others.

Dick is on RatPatrol.... :lmao:

Lynnipoo would love those PMs

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I can't care less about gay marriage as long as the Govt doesn't try and force religious institutions to perform or recognize them ..... everyone should have the same "benefits" of marriage if there are any

BigBlue

I can't care less about gay marriage as long as the Govt doesn't try and force religious institutions to perform or recognize them ..... everyone should have the same "benefits" of marriage if there are any

I agree with you but when that religious institution runs a business and a college is a business they must treat all the same.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I agree with you but when that religious institution runs a business and a college is a business they must treat all the same.

Treat all the same who hold their same values.....

No they don't ..... could you join the Rockettes or the LPGA? Wasn't there recently an issue with a student getting mega scholarships from the UNGF or NAACP and then they were taken away because he wasn't black? Something to that nature...... There are places in society for everyone and there places that are exclusive to certain groups of people determined by different factors. If someone wants to go to a religious college and they are turned away because they are gay, they should keep searching until they find one that will accept them, some may have to work harder for that.