Obama Will Return 5% of His Salary

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Why not 100%? He would still live like the king he thinks he is - all expenses paid, of course. You think he tips anybody?

SG_Player1974

Thanks... but NO thanks Prezzie!

Until you are personally paying the house note, electric bill, water bill, cable bill, grocery bill, insurance bill, and land taxes.... You will NEVER be in "solidarity" with ME!

And save your 5% because it is a F#$%ING JOKE!!! :bs:

Makavide

Not too talkative
The DoD is the only group cutting 20%. Obama doesn't give a F about them :shrug:

Although I understand the pain the furlough will cause, the reality of the situation is that the pay loss will not be 20%. It will be for those 14 weeks the furlough period happens, but over the course of a years salary the cut is about 5.9%

I base that number on a 50 week work year (2 weeks vacation) times 5 work days per week minus the 10 federal holidays to get 240 work days. Divide by the 14 furlough days and you get 5.83%

though I am sure in addition to his salary, he probably has some sort of expense account to pay for the majority of his meals so his 5% "give back" means nothing.

Now I have seen a number of my DOD contractor counterparts lose their jobs over funding drying up, but I have yet to hear of any the DOD workers let go.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
It's a good gesture... may not seem like much but how many other politicians are making a similar sacrifice? Chuck Hagel is the only other one I know of.

MarieB

But they are losing 20% of their take home pay for 14 consecutive weeks. That's what they'll be feeling.

Right, but he is doing it from March through December. Just pointing that out.

Of course he gets other non-salary perks

MarieB

I'm confused. If you are losing 16 hours of pay over an 80 hour pay period, what does that equate to per payperiod??

Who said anything about pay period?

He needs to fess up about one+ % to make the loss "equivalent", but not 20%

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Correct me if I am wrong but just some quick math... he earns $400K per year - about $21500 comes out to 14 days of pay and that equals about 5% - seems he is taking the same cut as Federal workers.... right?

I, in no way, support the man but he is at least setting an example with his PAY decrease- just his pay....

bcp

In My Opinion
Correct me if I am wrong but just some quick math... he earns $400K per year - about $21500 comes out to 14 days of pay and that equals about 5% - seems he is taking the same cut as Federal workers.... right?

I, in no way, support the man but he is at least setting an example with his PAY decrease- just his pay....

losing 5% of 400,000 when you don't have to pay for your living expenses is a big difference from losing 5% of around 100K when you do have to pay for your living expenses.

He has no clue.

tommyjo

OMG! Thanks for the laughs...reading these posts as people try to explain basic math to the mental midget on this...OMG...what a riot!!!

"But they are losing 20% of their take home pay for 14 consecutive weeks. That's what they'll be feeling."

Oh...please stop....I can't breathe!

bcp

In My Opinion
OMG! Thanks for the laughs...reading these posts as people try to explain basic math to the mental midget on this...OMG...what a riot!!!

"But they are losing 20% of their take home pay for 14 consecutive weeks. That's what they'll be feeling."

Oh...please stop....I can't breathe!

Not everybody is rich like you, to some, 20% for 14 consecutive weeks can be devastating.
the only thing they can do to try and offset it is to take 10% at minimum from their pay check now and set it aside for later.
On the other hand, since its a pre tax reduction, its possible that it could drop them to a lower tax bracket and the actual take home pay will not reflect the 20%..

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Not everybody is rich like you, to some, 20% for 14 consecutive weeks can be devastating.
the only thing they can do to try and offset it is to take 10% at minimum from their pay check now and set it aside for later.
On the other hand, since its a pre tax reduction, its possible that it could drop them to a lower tax bracket and the actual take home pay will not reflect the 20%..

I had 30 days for furloughs for 3 yrs. The 1st year they required us to take 10 days, we only had 6 months to do it. The following 2 years spread 5 days over 26 pay periods and we had to take additional days. I work for the State of Maryland. It does suck... but you might not remember how the state workers took this sort of cut because we didn't belly ache about it like the Federal workers have. As a matter of fact, I am fairly sure Virginia and D.C. workers also had to take furlough days so.... It sucks but it is what it is. Now it is the Federal workers turn. :ohwell:

MarieB

He's not taking as much as a cut.

I think it's good, so i give him credit for that. BUT if you're gong to do it then at least make it equal AND don't wait to did it until others do the same.