Obama's Third Term

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
I'd be fine with Barry dropping presidential term limits. Maybe, just maybe we'd lose our apathy and have some respectable voter turn out. On balance I don't support term limits of any kind.

BOP

The Won will simply go around Congress and issue an executive order.

Rommey

H.J.Res. 15 proposes repealing presidential term limits. Rep. Serrano (D-NY), the resolution's sponsor, has proposed similar legislation in every congressional session since 1997 --- during the tenure of presidents from both parties. None of the resolutions has ever made it to a floor vote.

The joint resolution seeks to repeal the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution, which sets a term limit for election to the office of President of the United States. A joint resolution is one way to start the process of amending the U.S. Constitution.

The 22nd Amendment, passed by Congress in 1947 and ratified by three-fourths of the states in 1951, prohibits individuals from being elected to the office of the President more than twice or from being elected President more than once if they have already served as President for more than two years.

Attempts to repeal the 22nd Amendment date at least to 1986, when Rep. Guy Vander Jagt (R-MI) proposed legislation in the House that would allow President Ronald Reagan to seek a third term. Rep. Vander Jagt reintroduced legislation to remove the term limits on the presidency in 1987, 1989 and 1991, as did a number of Congressmen throughout the 1990s. Corresponding resolutions were proposed in the Senate by Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) in 1989 and by Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) in 1995.

While there is a weak correlation between the party of the President and the party of the Member of Congress proposing to repeal the amendment, Rep. Serrano introduced the same resolution under Presidents Clinton (D), Bush (R) and Obama (D).
link
At least the guy is consistent and not just looking at his own party. Too bad the 22nd amendment didn't also include members of Congress' terms.

Amused_despair

Any argument for the limit of presidential terms is an argument for the limit of congressional terms as well, any argument against is the same. Unfortunately, those in power grow addicted to the power and do not wish to give any of it up.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

We wouldn't have professional politicians and an elite ruling class. We'd have successful people able to serve their neighbors for a couple of years and then go back to their lives.

.... instead of thinking they should run yours

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
We wouldn't have professional politicians and an elite ruling class. We'd have successful people able to serve their neighbors for a couple of years and then go back to their lives.

.... instead of thinking they should run yours

Right.

I always thought it was the liberal way to pass laws to fix problems that people are capable of fixing themselves.

We already have term limits. You might know them by the term "election". Show me a non-pathetic voter turn out, and get a new government every four year

Fact.

I'd love to see that.

Maybe it would get a real big turnout of folks in DC.

.... with torches to burn it down
Which brings us to the stockpiling of hollow point bullets, check point stations, body storage containers, etc. in recent years. :coffee:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Right.

I always thought it was the liberal way to pass laws to fix problems that people are capable of fixing themselves.

We already have term limits. You might know them by the term "election". Show me a non-pathetic voter turn out, and get a new government every four year

Fact.

Voter turnout does not matter. The days of voting for what you believe in are gone, that requires effort, thinking, taking time to understand the options, work. No its much easier to vote for the party you joined, they do the work for you, tell you to vote for this guy cause of the letter next to their name. Its what they are use to.

Until people start thinking for themselves again, and not being brainwashed by the mass media we may never see an election in which someone of good character with a history the right things gets elected. Voters now are apathetic, its much easier to do what they are told, than to care about learning who they are voting for.

I still think a test should be required to make sure people understand that basics of government should be required to vote.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I still think a test should be required to make sure people understand that basics of government should be required to vote.

I think it should be restricted to property owners like the founding fathers wanted.

It ain't your country unless you own a chunk of it