War declared on slow people...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...seeings how no one else is saying it, I'll do the honors.

Regardless of who is responsible for yesterday, the one inescapable fact is that they targeted...

....slow people.

4:09:44

Now, I do not say this claiming to be able to do better. Far from it. It takes guts and heart I may well not have to complete a Marathon which only makes it worse. The heartless bastards who did this specifically targeted the best among us; those who are not or no longer fleet and strong and in their prime. They went after cripples, old folks, ex-fatties doing their first marathon, folks who were doing it to support someone else.

Heartless mother effers.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Regardless of who is responsible for yesterday, the one inescapable fact is that they targeted...

....slow people.

Now, I do not say this claiming to be able to do better. Far from it. It takes guts and heart I may well not have to complete a Marathon which only makes it worse. The heartless bastards who did this specifically targeted the best among us; those who are not or no longer fleet and strong and in their prime. They went after cripples, old folks, ex-fatties doing their first marathon, folks who were doing it to support someone else.

Heartless mother effers.

Actually they targeted the spectators. More like me and you.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Exactly. They targeted the time at which the crowd would peak. Most people show up at the finish line to see someone they KNOW cross the line.

Actually following this line of reasoning, *they* targeted then and there because all the media and cameras would be at the finish line at this time of the marathon in order to gain maximum exposure of the explosion. If they wanted mass casualties, they would have done the explosions at the start of the finish line.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Exactly. They targeted the time at which the crowd would peak. Most people show up at the finish line to see someone they KNOW cross the line.

Nope.

If that was the goal, they messed up. Even Wolf Blitzer got it right; most of the crowd would be gone by that time with all the leaders and attendant interest long gone as well as 'normal' folks who typically finish these torture tests in 3-3:30 hours or so, their friends and family gone with them for post race.

They targeted that poor old woman who has the guts and heart of a lion. After cramping and collapsing, she got up and finished!

:yahoo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Actually following this line of reasoning, *they* targeted then and there because all the media and cameras would be at the finish line at this time of the marathon in order to gain maximum exposure of the explosion. If they wanted mass casualties, they would have done the explosions at the start of the finish line.

And nearly two hours earlier.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
I was surprised how many of the runners just kept running, as if exploding devices are an everyday part of their training.

Runners are an odd lot.

SamSpade

I was surprised how many of the runners just kept running, as if exploding devices are an everyday part of their training.

Runners are an odd lot.

Every year on the Esplanade, they have the Boston Pops close with the 1812 Overture - and REAL cannons fire at the climax. I think Bostonians would not be surprised at cannons being fired at the end of a race on Patriot's Day.

Although I swear that Patriot's Day used to always be celebrated on the actual day, kind of like Veteran's Day is - which is April 19th.

Ok, looked it up. It did used to be that way, but not when I lived there - always the third Monday in April. The re-enactments ARE held on the actual day.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
Every year on the Esplanade, they have the Boston Pops close with the 1812 Overture - and REAL cannons fire at the climax. I think Bostonians would not be surprised at cannons being fired at the end of a race on Patriot's Day.

Indeed. I have a vinyl copy of an Arthur Fiedler-conducted performance of that, though I prefer my Cincinnati Pops/Erich Kunzel-conducted version a bit more.

I've always wanted to go to that and experience it in person.

SamSpade

Indeed. I have a vinyl copy of an Arthur Fiedler-conducted performance of that, though I prefer my Cincinnati Pops/Erich Kunzel-conducted version a bit more.

I've always wanted to go to that and experience it in person.

Last time was in the 80's, for me. Crowd was estimated at 700,000 although I really don't see how. But I strongly recommend what I did that day - ride a bike! In and out in almost no time. Buddy of mine got a spot in eye shot of the half shell around lunch time. Claimed he spent the time playing lawn darts, but I think he was joking. I wouldn't have put it past him.

IIRC, the cannons actually went off on the Cambridge side of the Charles, I think. You could still smell them anyway.

bcp

In My Opinion
I might be drinking my 11th beer of the day but, it sure as hell wouldn't be watching a marathon.

says a whole bunch about the excitement level.
a guy that spends his life watching Gerbers grow, thinks a race is to slow of a sport to waste time with.

Im taking your word for it and never going to one.

Toxick

Splat

....slow people.

Maybe... but I think this means we found out where Kim Jong Un's been hiding.