Climate change the next Gay Rights issue

BOP

I'd call this guy a moron, but that's an insult to morons. Still, he presents a clear and present danger, one that Republicans in general, and conservatives in particular, would do well to heed.

Interesting that so many lefties (the emotionally incontinent) use the same logical fallacy that many Christian evangelicals use: you know, "what if I'm right, and you're wrong?" Yeah, that one.

KatieBeGood
Reality has a well-known liberal bias
440 Fans
6 minutes ago ( 9:11 PM)
God I hope so because if we don't do something soon, we will be past the point of no return.

The next time some idiot calls global climate change a hoax, ask them whether or not they are willing to bet the lives of their grandchildren and great grandchildren if they are wrong.

Anyway:

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) said Tuesday that if Republicans don't join efforts to combat global warming, they will pay the political consequences.

"I think it's our task to ensure that climate change lines up right behind immigration and gay rights as an issue," said Whitehouse at the Good Jobs, Green Jobs conference in Washington sponsored by labor unions and environmental groups. If Republicans continue their opposition to measures that confront global warming, Whitehouse said, "they'll run off the cliff like lemmings."

"It's absolutely key that we all put pressure on the White House to take this issue seriously, to not just talk the talk, but to actually get out there an walk the walk as well," Whitehouse said.

President Barack Obama offered strong rhetoric on climate change in his State of the Union address, vowing to take executive action if Congress fails to pass a comprehensive plan to reduce carbon emissions. But carbon tax initiatives have scant political support on Capitol Hill, with many conservatives complaining environmental regulation hurts jobs and others continuing to deny the existence of man-made global warming.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'

The next time some idiot calls global climate change a hoax, ask them whether or not they are willing to bet the lives of their grandchildren and great grandchildren if they are wrong. [/I]

]

See, the issue here, the crime, is that science, facts, have been short-circuited by folks motivated by emotions.

It is just as plausible that carbon emissions are SAVING the planet as destroying it. That's why what the enviro zealots are doing is so horrible; the short circuiting of science and facts. If it is so important, and it is, you CAN'T let emotions dictate policy precisely because your feelings could be...

...wrong.

bcp

In My Opinion
I thought this was going to be about the heat from friction caused by gay sex, then the added methane due to increased exhaust output.
carry on.
I got nothin

Vince

"I think it's our task to ensure that climate change lines up right behind immigration and gay rights as an issue," said Whitehouse
Got to be the three most important isssues on the liberal agenda. Global warming is :bs: Immigration - deport the whole bunch. Gay rights - sick to death of hearing about their rights. Guess that takes care of those issues.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I look at this more as the next Obamacare issue. These environmental radicals will require government force everyone to participate in solving the crisis. We will all have to pay massive taxes/penalties to accomplish this. We will all be forced to buy things we really don't want, or probably can't afford.

glhs837

Power with Control
I noticed this piece the most.

the Good Jobs, Green Jobs conference in Washington sponsored by labor unions and environmental groups

Notice it's not sponsored by anyone who wants to make a profit, only by those wanting the govt to spend more money. If there were good jobs to be had in green jobs, someone who want to make a profit would be making those jobs.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I look at this more as the next Obamacare issue. These environmental radicals will require government force everyone to participate in solving the crisis. We will all have to pay massive taxes/penalties to accomplish this. We will all be forced to buy things we really don't want, or probably can't afford.

How is this any different than what the GOP did and is doing now?

We spend far too much time on this site pewling about what the other guys are trying to do and virtually none on what our side should be trying to do.

So, what should our side be trying to do?

Boehner should have already declared any new gun laws DOA. Think of the time and effort he and he alone could have saved the nation.

Where is he on immigration reform?

Energy prices?

Getting us the hell out of A'stan?

Repealing Obamacare?

Reducing the federal budget, actual, real cuts or even just a freeze to it?

Quantitative easing?

What's the point of bother with what the other guys are doing, ostensibly, wrong, when we've no answers of our own? What do we wanna see if/when we have the power to do so? To me, there is a LOT that can be done now that is NOT being done so, what does that say?

PsyOps

Pixelated
How is this any different than what the GOP did and is doing now?

We spend far too much time on this site pewling about what the other guys are trying to do and virtually none on what our side should be trying to do.

So, what should our side be trying to do?

Boehner should have already declared any new gun laws DOA. Think of the time and effort he and he alone could have saved the nation.

Where is he on immigration reform?

Energy prices?

Getting us the hell out of A'stan?

Repealing Obamacare?

Reducing the federal budget, actual, real cuts or even just a freeze to it?

Quantitative easing?

What's the point of bother with what the other guys are doing, ostensibly, wrong, when we've no answers of our own? What do we wanna see if/when we have the power to do so? To me, there is a LOT that can be done now that is NOT being done so, what does that say?

You know Larry, you can go on your little anti-GOP tirades every time someone tries to make a point about something if you want. I made no mention of either party in my post. I am on record being very critical of Boehner and the GOP. Yet you never fail to seize the opportunity to try to make people look like fools because they didn't frame their post in a manner that fits your perspective. I thought you knew how I felt about these things.

Quite honestly Boehner is a lost cause for the most part and I’m not wasting my time trying to justify anything he does or fails to do; because quite honestly he is useless.

But there is this (FWIW):

GOP To Make 31st Attempt To Repeal Obamacare Act : NPR

"We want to show people we are resolved to get rid of this," said House Speaker John Boehner

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You know Larry, you can go on your little anti-GOP tirades every time someone tries to make a point about something if you want. I made no mention of either party in my post. I am on record being very critical of Boehner and the GOP. Yet you never fail to seize the opportunity to try to make people look like fools because they didn't frame their post in a manner that fits your perspective. I thought you knew how I felt about these things.

Quite honestly Boehner is a lost cause for the most part and I’m not wasting my time trying to justify anything he does or fails to do; because quite honestly he is useless.

]

My apologies as that was not my intent. Far from it. My intent us for us on the right to start to say "THIS IS WHAT WE AGREE ON AND DEMAND" as that, to me, is the ONLY way we can fix anything.

And, frankly, if you 'feel' like a fool, that's something we should ALL feel when we are wasting so much time blaming them instead of fixing us.

:buddies:

I mean, pick ONE issue and let's all come to agreement and make our demands.

Journey of a 1,000 miles...

Guns. Speaker Boehner SHOULD be speaking out, LOUDLY, that the House will NOT bother with any more useless gun laws.

:shrug:

PsyOps

Pixelated
My apologies as that was not my intent. Far from it. My intent us for us on the right to start to say "THIS IS WHAT WE AGREE ON AND DEMAND" as that, to me, is the ONLY way we can fix anything.

And, frankly, if you 'feel' like a fool, that's something we should ALL feel when we are wasting so much time blaming them instead of fixing us.

:buddies:

I mean, pick ONE issue and let's all come to agreement and make our demands.

Journey of a 1,000 miles...

Guns. Speaker Boehner SHOULD be speaking out, LOUDLY, that the House will NOT bother with any more useless gun laws.

:shrug:

Actually, I have to apologize. I’m feeling a little out of sorts this morning. A little jumpy. Perhaps I should stay away from the forum today. If I’m not careful I might earn my first banning :lol:

The issue in this thread is ‘global warming’ or ‘climate change’ or whatever flavor you want to call it this week, and how it compares to other issues that are pegged as a ‘crisis’. The left is extremely effective in manufacturing crises and dredging up peoples’ emotions to get government involved. The right is typically silent and annoying complacent. All-the-while the wheels of the progressive left are at work molding the thinking of Americans.

I compared this to Obamacare because I can see how we will get sucked into another situation where the left will effectively force every American to fix something that really isn’t broken, and we will be forced to participate in something most of us don’t even believe is a problem. The GOP unanimously voted against Obamacare in the house and senate. They continue to push for its repeal. Boehner is deeply involved in this effort. As I pointed out, they’ve made 31 attempts to repeal it. This more of a show of purpose and party unity rather than an actual belief it will go anywhere.

But with all of these things, they hinge on elections. The GOP keeps losing elections. They are weak in devising a message that actually resonates with voters. I don’t know if this is because they have shifted their core, or if it’s just due to incompetence. Most of me believes the former. Either way, I know we are in agreement with the problems that exist in the GOP. I think where we might part is that I have mostly given up on the GOP as being any sort of viable opponent to democrats. They are both looking virtually the same; and I don’t think there is much we can do about it – especially in this forum.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The left is extremely effective in manufacturing crises and dredging up peoples’ emotions to get government involved. The right is typically silent and annoying complacent. .

Which is to say they ain't so effective and we just suck. The Miami Heat scoring 200 points could be called 'extremely' effective but, not if they are playing some high school JV.

And THAT is the issue; not how good they are, because, honestly, they are lame as hell, but, just how awful we are.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Which is to say they ain't so effective and we just suck. The Miami Heat scoring 200 points could be called 'extremely' effective but, not if they are playing some high school JV.

And THAT is the issue; not how good they are, because, honestly, they are lame as hell, but, just how awful we are.

Liberal democrats know exactly who their target is; the low-information voter; which makes up the majority of voters out there. They know how to frame very simple messages that people can relate to. The GOP gets stuck on details/nuts and bolts. The democrats figured out how to use every form of technology out there to propagate their message while the GOP remains in the stone ages.

Democrat MO:

- Simple message
- Disseminate it widely
- Say it often
- It doesn’t matter if it’s a lie; people will come to believe it if the above are followed

GOP MO:

- Always on the defensive

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Liberal democrats know exactly who their target is; the low-information voter; which makes up the majority of voters out there. They know how to frame very simple messages that people can relate to. The GOP gets stuck on details/nuts and bolts. The democrats figured out how to use every form of technology out there to propagate their message while the GOP remains in the stone ages.

Democrat MO:

- Simple message
- Disseminate it widely
- Say it often
- It doesn’t matter if it’s a lie; people will come to believe it if the above are followed

GOP MO:

- Always on the defensive

And, as usual, there is the presumption that if not for dumb people, if only the GOP could communicate better, all would be well because, gee wiz, the GOP would do so much better.

The horse that comes before this cart is the FACT, the reality of HOW the GOP governed, and the results, when we have the incredible opportunity of 2001; WH, House, Senate and a favorable court.

It is not dumb people. It is not poor messaging. It is poor results, period, end of story. We would NOT be having this conversation had the GOP governed as they talk when they had the chance. We simply would not.

Results. Actions. THAT is why it is so easy for the left to 'win' the messaging war; they're playing against an unarmed opponent.

PsyOps

Pixelated
And, as usual, there is the presumption that if not for dumb people, if only the GOP could communicate better, all would be well because, gee wiz, the GOP would do so much better.

The horse that comes before this cart is the FACT, the reality of HOW the GOP governed, and the results, when we have the incredible opportunity of 2001; WH, House, Senate and a favorable court.

It is not dumb people. It is not poor messaging. It is poor results, period, end of story. We would NOT be having this conversation had the GOP governed as they talk when they had the chance. We simply would not.

Results. Actions. THAT is why it is so easy for the left to 'win' the messaging war; they're playing against an unarmed opponent.

I’ve never called voters dumb. I call them ‘purposely misinformed’. Complacent.

But isn’t that the bottom line in reaching voters? COMMUNICATION? The ability to convey their message wins. If voters were paying that close attention to ‘governing’ Obama would be a distant memory right now; because he hasn’t done one thing to govern. It seems people want to hear who’s going to take care of them and their problems. What good results have we seen from Obama or the democrats in the senate; who have yet to produce a budget? What have we really gotten from either side that causes people to vote for either? We got Obamacare, one of the biggest cancers this government has produced in decades. It was the democrats that pushed this. How did Americans come to accept this? Now we have democrats pushing gun control. How did this EVIL pass in MD if voters are so in tune with results? Immigrations. More amnesty. If voters were so in tune with results they would know what an abysmal failure the Reagan amnesty turned out to be; yet we’re doing it all over again. All these things are being pushed by democrats. How are they winning the narrative? Their ability to communicate to voters is superior to the GOP. You can either say they are superior or the GOP is inferior. The results are the same.

Again, they have a very simple way of conveying their message… they use all means at their disposal to propagate this message, and they say it often until folks begin to believe it. And I left something out… IT MUST BE A CRISIS. Democrats are experts at fabricating a crisis. Nothing better to get people motivated about something than to believe they might die or suffer if the government doesn’t DO something.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I’ve never called voters dumb. I call them ‘purposely misinformed’. Complacent.

But isn’t that the bottom line in reaching voters? COMMUNICATION? The ability to convey their message wins. .

You can argue all you like that the voters got dumb and THEN the GOP turned them off or you can look at things as they are; January 2001, an R took office in the WH. With a GOP controlled House. And a GOP controlled Senate. And a favorable SCOTUS.

Then, what happened? Go ahead. Make excuses. There always is one. 9/11. If not that, then the war. If not the war then the media. If not the media, then, the Dems. If not them, then, a big storm and scary clouds. If not that, then, what?

The simple fact of the matter is that the GOP had an epic opportunity to do as they said they would. Get you some youtube of Dubbya in the debates with Gore if you don't recall why he excited us as a true conservative.

Then, they governed left. Way left.

You can't call the public disengaged when they gave us that much power. We won the arguments, the debates, and failed to govern as we'd promised. It's just that simple. Now, to blame the people for not hearing, for not caring, that's just another excuse.

Sooner or later it all comes back to the opportunity and it was had and it was failed, miserably.

PsyOps

Pixelated
You can argue all you like that the voters got dumb and THEN the GOP turned them off or you can look at things as they are; January 2001, an R took office in the WH. With a GOP controlled House. And a GOP controlled Senate. And a favorable SCOTUS.

Then, what happened? Go ahead. Make excuses. There always is one. 9/11. If not that, then the war. If not the war then the media. If not the media, then, the Dems. If not them, then, a big storm and scary clouds. If not that, then, what?

The simple fact of the matter is that the GOP had an epic opportunity to do as they said they would. Get you some youtube of Dubbya in the debates with Gore if you don't recall why he excited us as a true conservative.

Then, they governed left. Way left.

You can't call the public disengaged when they gave us that much power. We won the arguments, the debates, and failed to govern as we'd promised. It's just that simple. Now, to blame the people for not hearing, for not caring, that's just another excuse.

Sooner or later it all comes back to the opportunity and it was had and it was failed, miserably.

You really need to try and relax and read what I’m posting. I’m not making excuses. I’m only explaining why. There is no excuse for the GOP to turn the way they did. But there is an explanation. I’m not justifying the explanation as a valid excuse; but it is what it is. These things don’t happen in a vacuum. The driving force behind any politician’s decisions is voters. If the voters are convinced something needs to go in this or that direction that politician – for whatever self-serving purposes to stay in office – will move in that direction. And that happened.

I sit here and look at Joe Scarborough and scratch my head how one of my former reps could turn so easily to the left. I lived in FL during the GOP revolution of the 90s and Joe was one of those promising conservatives that would lead this country back to prosperity. Look at where he is now. I can’t explain that sufficiently, except to say he is one of those that got caught in the popularity battle of trying to defend his position rather than just push it. Or perhaps he was always a closet liberal.

You’ve not effectively explained what caused these GOPers to turn; you’ve only offered your blame that they did and how wrong they are for doing it. Well, that’s all fine, but until you can come to grips as to why, the problem never gets solved.

So things as they ARE, why did it happen? I’ve offered my explanation and you reject it. What’s yours?