Senate votes DOWN background checks

Chris0nllyn

With Vice President Joe Biden presiding over the Senate, an amendment to expand background checks on gun purchases failed to pass through the body, falling by a mostly partisan vote of 54-46.

Sixty votes were needed to pass the legislation through the Senate. Four Democrats voted no on the measure. All but four Republicans voted no.

With prospects already looking bleak, gun-control supporters lost two potential key votes earlier Wednesday, as Sens. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) and Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) said they would oppose the measure, which was introduced by Sens. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.).

In addition to Heitkamp, the other three Democrats voting against the measure were Sens. Mark Begich (D-Alaska), Max Baucus (D-Mont.), and Mark Pryor (D-Ark.).

Gun Control Background Check Senate Vote: Live - Business Insider

Looks like Reid voted AGAINST it, and McCain voted FOR it....

1 down, 8 to go.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
failed because they knew it would do nothing but increase gun crimes.

You can own and open carry without a permit here in Virginia and I can walk in to almost any store in "town" and buy a gun without a background check because they aren't considered "licensed dealers".

bcp

In My Opinion
You can own and open carry without a permit here in Virginia and I can walk in to almost any store in "town" and buy a gun without a background check because they aren't considered "licensed dealers".

and look at the crime rate between Virginia and Maryland.
More guns in the hands of responsible owners equals less crime.

Note the word responsible, those have to be weeded out before things are in balance because you will always have the 4'5" Billy badass that goes to the bar, gets drunk runs his mouth then makes himself bigger with his gun.
Just like you will always have the drunk drivers.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
So F you Obama, shove it where the sun don't shine and have fun and all of you that voted for this.

I was watching his speech, he was a tad on the angry side.

Oh and as I was looking for the speech on another channel, since I missed some of it, I came across MSNBC and there's Al Sparpton screaming about it. I really can't stand that man. Guess he works for MSNBC though.

Last edited:

Ø/\/Ë
The important part:

"Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, and Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley sent a letter to the Senate, urging members to support the background check measure."

#### you O'Malley!

PsyOps

Pixelated
The important part:

"Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, and Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley sent a letter to the Senate, urging members to support the background check measure."

#### you O'Malley!

You can thank MD voters. :shrug:

Pushrod

Patriot

Bullsh!t. That is a flat out lie.

This bill didn't pass because you shouldn't have an up/down vote on a fundamental Right. If they want to infringe on the Second Amendment, call for a Constitutional Convention and vote on an Amendment to rescind the protections that the Second Amendment provides (Still couldn't do away with the fundamental Right to Keep and Bear Arms, just take away it's protections)

Chris0nllyn

If the democratic process fails, use Executive Orders.....

"Look I know you're going to say that I'm just being an optimist and I'm trying to put a good face on this. But you know I've been around here a long time and we've already done, because of you, some really good things," Biden said. "Number one, the president is already lining up some additional executive actions he's going to be taking later this week."

Biden: 'The President Is Already Lining Up Some Additional Executive Actions' for Guns | The Weekly Standard