Obama angrily denounces gun-rights groups as willf

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Obama angrily denounces gun-rights groups as willful liars

President Obama angrily blamed the defeat Wednesday of his centerpiece gun-control proposal on lies spread by the National Rifle Association, calling it “a pretty shameful day for Washington.”

“The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill,” Mr. Obama said in the White House rose garden about 90 minutes after the vote. “It came down to politics.”

As he spoke, Mr. Obama was surrounded by family members of victims of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting. Also with him was former Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona, wounded in an assassination attempt.

Senators voted 54-46 late Wednesday to expand background checks of gun purchases, six votes shy of the 60 needed for passage of the amendment.

The vote was a huge blow to the president’s efforts since the Newtown, Conn., school massacre last December to enact a broad package of new gun laws. Mr. Obama and his team had considered background checks the most likely gun restriction to be approved by Congress, with polls showing as much as 90 percent of the public in favor of the measure immediately after the Newtown shootings.

Read more: Obama angrily denounces gun-rights groups as willful liars - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
They did lie about the database. In fact, the bill states that there would be no records kept and, in fact, any records would have to be destroyed in three days. LaPierre and the NRA have maintained that the background checks were a "gun confiscation bill" that would take us down a "slippery slope" (just like the mental health database they have proposed would also take us down a "slippery slope") and would be used by Obama to ultimately take everyone's guns away.

I don't know why they lied like they do. But I know that, when they do, President Obama's approval rating goes down, gun sales go up, ammunition sales go up and membership/donations to the NRA go up.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Obama didn't get his way so he's throwing a tantrum. :shrug:

He says it was "politics" in reference to the bill not passing which makes it "a shameful day in Washington" but when rights are stripped due to emotion, are we to consider that a "win"?

PsyOps

Pixelated
They did lie about the database. In fact, the bill states that there would be no records kept and, in fact, any records would have to be destroyed in three days.

Your gullibility is showing.

Do you trust our government with the Patriot Act?

DipStick

As for the mental health registry that they want, and they will get it, that could easily be used to institutionalize anyone with a mental illness. Ultimately, that may be the only way to stop them from committing these heinous acts but at what costs? They can still buy guns. They can still go online or walk in to a gun shop and buy guns.

So, now what? Do we go down that "slippery slope"? I mean, the NRA considers anything and everything a slippery slope but not this? Why? Because, it's like I said in another thread, nobody really cares about other peoples' rights - just their own. The same people who barked about Second Amendment rights willfully sat back for years as other rights and civil liberties have been infringed.

But what do you do with this mental health database? Do you use it to institutionalize people like Adam Lanza? Then what? All he was diagnosed with is Aspergers - something that is exremely similar to ADHD and OCD.

PsyOps

Pixelated
“The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill,” Mr. Obama said in the White House rose garden about 90 minutes after the vote. “It came down to politics.”

I wonder how Harry Reid feels about this?

DipStick

Your gullibility is showing.

Do you trust our government with the Patriot Act?

See my post right below yours. The very same people who fought this bill supported the PATRIOT Act and indefinite detentions.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
They did lie about the database. In fact, the bill states that there would be no records kept and, in fact, any records would have to be destroyed in three days. LaPierre and the NRA have maintained that the background checks were a "gun confiscation bill" that would take us down a "slippery slope" (just like the mental health database they have proposed would also take us down a "slippery slope") and would be used by Obama to ultimately take everyone's guns away.

I don't know why they lied like they do. But I know that, when they do, President Obama's approval rating goes down, gun sales go up, ammunition sales go up and membership/donations to the NRA go up.

Just like Barry said that Obamacare would not raise premiums, you could still keep your doctor, and it would cover everyone………bbbbbuuuttttt when the details were exposed it turned out that Barry lied.

So, you say all that stuff was in the bill uh, I think you need to read the details a little more, bet there’s stuff in there that open the door to a national database, and that records will be kept.

Also, nothing in that bill would have prevented Sandy Hook, nor would it prevent the next psycho who wants to be famous by going into a gun free zone with a weapon.

PsyOps

Pixelated
So, now what? Do we go down that "slippery slope"? I mean, the NRA considers anything and everything a slippery slope but not this? Why? Because, it's like I said in another thread, nobody really cares about other peoples' rights - just their own.

What slippery slope? The 2nd Amendment is a slippery slope? We’ve had it for 222 years and now suddenly it’s a slippery slope? And what’s with the NRA? Does the senate not have their own minds? Did they not read the bill, consult with their districts, and make this decision? Are you now going to say this is another Obamacare “We have to pass the bill to find out what’s in it”? How very selective of you.

PsyOps

Pixelated
See my post right below yours. The very same people who fought this bill supported the PATRIOT Act and indefinite detentions.

I'm asking you... The Patriot Act was passed with all good intentions to protect us. Do you trust that our government will use this law in our best interest?

DipStick

What slippery slope? The 2nd Amendment is a slippery slope? We’ve had it for 222 years and now suddenly it’s a slippery slope? And what’s with the NRA? Does the senate not have their own minds? Did they not read the bill, consult with their districts, and make this decision? Are you now going to say this is another Obamacare “We have to pass the bill to find out what’s in it”? How very selective of you.

After seeing Marco Rubio on MTP, I'm absolutely certain they didn't read the bill and just did what the NRA asked them to do. He even said he hadn't read the bill. He didn't know what was in it. When asked about how background checks keeps guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, he started rambling about concealed carry or some ####.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
As for the mental health registry that they want, and they will get it, that could easily be used to institutionalize anyone with a mental illness. Ultimately, that may be the only way to stop them from committing these heinous acts but at what costs? They can still buy guns. They can still go online or walk in to a gun shop and buy guns.

So, now what? Do we go down that "slippery slope"? I mean, the NRA considers anything and everything a slippery slope but not this? Why? Because, it's like I said in another thread, nobody really cares about other peoples' rights - just their own. The same people who barked about Second Amendment rights willfully sat back for years as other rights and civil liberties have been infringed.

But what do you do with this mental health database? Do you use it to institutionalize people like Adam Lanza? Then what? All he was diagnosed with is Aspergers - something that is exremely similar to ADHD and OCD.

When was the last time you bought a gun?

I know if I was am criminal I wouldn't even think about trying to buy a gun via a legal route, and it's beyond naive to think anyone with bad intentions does now or will if we make it harder to buy a gun legally..

This

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
After seeing Marco Rubio on MTP, I'm absolutely certain they didn't read the bill and just did what the NRA asked them to do. He even said he hadn't read the bill. He didn't know what was in it. When asked about how background checks keeps guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, he started rambling about concealed carry or some ####.

Easy... If I feel unsafe or threatened and feel I need a gun to protect myself I, being a law abiding citizen with only good intentions, shouldn't have to wait to be safe and secure and especially not 60 days. When a politician is threatened do they have to wait 60 days for their protection?

PsyOps

Pixelated

Well damn, déjà vu. I’m sure Harry Reid has succumb to the demands of the NRA just like John McCain rejected it. You just seem to not want to accept that most Americans reject this.

Why don’t you tell us… how would background checks have prevented Adam Lanza from getting those legally owned guns?

It's because this question can't be effectively answered is why this bill got rejected.

Last edited:

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Just like all those democrats who didn't read the obamacare bill but voted on it, remember, they has to pass it to find out what was in it.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

Ever here of HIPAA? If passed and the requirements were mandated they would have violated multiple current laws, and asked doctors and health care workers to violate their Dr patient cofidentiality.

Do you think a person with mental issues, suffering from stress, PTSD or getting close to a breakdown would seek the help they needed if they also knew there was no confidentiality or they would give up rights guaranteed to them...

Last edited:

DipStick

Well damn, déjà vu. I’m sure Harry Reid has succumb to the demands of the NRA just like John McCain rejected it. You just seem to want to accept that most Americans reject this.

Why don’t you tell us… how would background checks have prevented Adam Lanza from getting those legally owned guns?

It's because this question can't be effectively answered is why this bill got rejected.

Congress rejecting it means "most Americans" reject it? Do you feel the same about "Obama Care" - that it was passed because most Americans supported it? Or do you think it was passed once they got the individual mandate and the insurance companies pushed for it? Also, a majority of Senators did vote for this bill but we now live in an era where anything and everything is vetoed in the United States Senate - and not done the right way, the way Rand Paul did t.

DipStick

So, because it would not have stopped one shooting but would have stopped others, we shouldn't pass something?

Easy... If I feel unsafe or threatened and feel I need a gun to protect myself I, being a law abiding citizen with only good intentions, shouldn't have to wait to be safe and secure and especially not 60 days. When a politician is threatened do they have to wait 60 days for their protection?

Where do you have to wait 60 days for a gun. I can walk in to Walmart tomorrow, put down my ID, go through a background check (takes 90 seconds) and walk out with a brand shiny new handgun. Of course, I live in a state where we have freedom.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So, because it would not have stopped one shooting but would have stopped others, we shouldn't pass something?

Where do you have to wait 60 days for a gun. I can walk in to Walmart tomorrow, put down my ID, go through a background check (takes 90 seconds) and walk out with a brand shiny new handgun. Of course, I live in a state where we have freedom.

See, you do get it...

If this law passed the entire country would be like MD is now... 60 days.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Congress rejecting it means "most Americans" reject it? Do you feel the same about "Obama Care" - that it was passed because most Americans supported it? Or do you think it was passed once they got the individual mandate and the insurance companies pushed for it? Also, a majority of Senators did vote for this bill but we now live in an era where anything and everything is vetoed in the United States Senate - and not done the right way, the way Rand Paul did t.

Actually yes. Americans voted a democrat-controlled congress and we got Obamacare. I have said it over and over “We get the government we deserve”. But Obamcare is a far cry from a fundamentally defined right in the constitution. Even the most partisan politicians don’t like to touch deep constitutional issues like this. They know it will come back to bite them politically and personally.

Although this is far from over, I’m thankful most of congress gets it, that it does not work out well to screw around with the constitution. I know you progressives hate knowing we should be free to do what WE, as individuals, feel we need to for our own lives; but that is what this country was founded on. I pray you lose that battle every day of the week.