23andMe

cricketmd

Has anyone done this genetic testing kit? Is it accurate? The girls at work were doing this a few months, ago, I ordered one as well and havent done it yet. Were y'all happy with the results? :shrug:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm going to do it. I already have the kit. I was just wondering how anyone else's results were. It seems very thorough. A lady here at work said it was pretty spot on. Although I'm tempted to use dog saliva on the extra one I bought for a friend just to throw them off. :lol:

Well I just read up some more about them and I have to say I'm really tempted to do the same. Mainly for the health aspect, but they say it also helps find your ancestory and stuff to, so that's cool. And it will also link you to people you are related to, maybe some you never knew about. Which I don't know how i feel about that part. :lol:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Has anyone done this genetic testing kit? Is it accurate? The girls at work were doing this a few months, ago, I ordered one as well and havent done it yet. Were y'all happy with the results? :shrug:

Yes, my g/f and I have both submitted samples to 23 and me. It is interesting to see small things about yourself shown on a web site. I was very hesitant and reluctant to do the test, my father has Dementia that is progressing into Alzheimer's. There are other family members from his side of the family that had the disease as well (they have since passed), it was this piece of knowledge that one can learn from the test - if they are carrying genetic markers for the disease (and other diseases) that made me hesitant to even take the test.

I was waging my own personal mental battle of do I really want to know about it or not. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and well in this matter and other matters like such (Death) I have long preferred to be ignorant. In this case I finally caved into curiosity because I was an expectant dad to be at the time of taking the test and wanting to be able to take care of my little girl even before her birth gave me the motivation to take the test for Our knowledge.

Happily to say I do not have the same genetic markers that would give me an increased risk of developing Dementia/Alzheimer's. Am I happy with the test? Yes, I fact checked the results of what things I do show the possibility of being a higher risk for with my mother. The test confirmed that I carry more traits from her family than my fathers (I already knew that by appearance). Historical illnesses in the families are the same things that I showed to be a higher risk for, it was very interesting to see from whom and how your traits come out.

The other sections of 23 and Me are interesting as well. I have started conversing via email with genetic matches (other distant relatives) and it has helped pull together a few loose ends that we were not able to figure out from working with Ancestry and the family tree.

So in all yes, I think that it was worth while to fiddle with and at least put my mind at ease in small ways while reminding me that I still need to take better care of myself. I hope this helps you, feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well I just read up some more about them and I have to say I'm really tempted to do the same. Mainly for the health aspect, but they say it also helps find your ancestory and stuff to, so that's cool. And it will also link you to people you are related to, maybe some you never knew about. Which I don't know how i feel about that part. :lol:

Now I'm curious..

My mom's side of the family is a total mystery, one that died with her father.

We do know we have some genetic anomalys most associated with where we know we came from, but I'd like to delve a little deeper, we don't know what our family name was. Our great grandparents, and my grandfather (8 at the time) were issued a new last name when being processed at Ellis Island.

Health problems my sons have had relate directly to the part of the world we think we came from, so we are pretty sure we have that right.

cricketmd

Well, I think it said something about matching your dna up with familiy ancestors but I think they have to have already submitted a dna sample to compare it to. So it depends on how many of your ancestors have done this. I'm a bit intriqued by the dna aspect because if they go by last name and try to find others with last name, it will be off. My last name is not my real last name, my family altered our last name years ago. :shrug: Meanwhile the other friend I got the kit for is adamant about NOT submitting a DNA sample, she's afraid it will sit in some govnerment file or something and ist all about "big brother" :banghead: :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why do we want to know things like that? That's a real question - what purpose does it serve? So you find out you're predisposed to cancer...then what? You should be eating right, exercising, and getting regular checkups anyway. And if you don't already know that stuff is better for your health, I don't believe some test is going to light a fire under you.

Seriously, why would someone get genetically tested?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Meanwhile the other friend I got the kit for is adamant about NOT submitting a DNA sample, she's afraid it will sit in some govnerment file or something and ist all about "big brother" :banghead: :lol:

There is no guarantee that it won't be.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Why do we want to know things like that? That's a real question - what purpose does it serve? So you find out you're predisposed to cancer...then what? You should be eating right, exercising, and getting regular checkups anyway. And if you don't already know that stuff is better for your health, I don't believe some test is going to light a fire under you.

Actualy, some people have taken radical medical precautions from getting these tests..

Like having Masectomies before ever detecting cancer.

There are MANY cancers that are usuallyl discovered by mistake, and too late to do anything about. If you know you may be predisposed for say Pancreatic Cancer, or Colon Cancer you can do regular/ annual screenings and catch the precursors before they become cancer.

If you know you are predisposed for Alzheimers you can ensure your worldy possessions are signed over to me for care and feeding prior to you losing your mind..

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Well, I think it said something about matching your dna up with familiy ancestors but I think they have to have already submitted a dna sample to compare it to. So it depends on how many of your ancestors have done this. I'm a bit intriqued by the dna aspect because if they go by last name and try to find others with last name, it will be off. My last name is not my real last name, my family altered our last name years ago. :shrug: Meanwhile the other friend I got the kit for is adamant about NOT submitting a DNA sample, she's afraid it will sit in some govnerment file or something and ist all about "big brother" :banghead: :lol:

No they match you based on your dna. One of the things I read was be prepared - your family may not be who you think they are. :lol: Don't get this done if you don't want to know.
Here's a sweet story
https://www.23andme.com/stories/2/

As for the rest, the paranoia can kill ya. However, I read an article that they have something in place where they don't share your genetic info without stripping it of your personal info. However they do share your genetic info in a way that assists in research for diseases.

This is on their site:
https://www.23andme.com/about/privacy/

cricketmd

I have a very tiny family, I was trying to look for relatives and was interested in what nationality I have the most traits for. All my grandparents were all born in different countries. I'm a Euromut but think I'm more Irish than anything. I just found it all interesting. I already know what cancers I'm at risk for, I dont need a test telling me that. :biggrin:

cricketmd

No they match you based on your dna. One of the things I read was be prepared - your family may not be who you think they are. :lol: Don't get this done if you don't want to know.
Here's a sweet story
https://www.23andme.com/stories/2/

As for the rest, the paranoia can kill ya. However, I read an article that they have something in place where they don't share your genetic info without stripping it of your personal info. However they do share your genetic info in a way that assists in research for diseases.

This is on their site:
https://www.23andme.com/about/privacy/

But doesnt the other ancestor they say you are related to haev to submit a dna sample or order for anyone to know they exist. They need two samples, yours and the relatives. Right? :confused: I think there was a box somewhere that I checked saying its okay to let relatives know about me. I dont remember but a question similar came up.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
But doesnt the other ancestor they say you are related to haev to submit a dna sample or order for anyone to know they exist. They need two samples, yours and the relatives. Right? :confused: I think there was a box somewhere that I checked saying its okay to let relatives know about me. I dont remember but a question similar came up.

Yes. I read some of the articles where when you click the closest relative and up popped a cousin you never knew you had. And then if you continue down that road, you find other relaitves through that cousin. It's kind of interesting. You never know who might be in there.

It's an interesting aspect to be sure.

cricketmd

Yes. I read some of the articles where when you click the closest relative and up popped a cousin you never knew you had. And then if you continue down that road, you find other relaitves through that cousin. It's kind of interesting. You never know who might be in there.

It's an interesting aspect to be sure.

Yes, I think it would be fun to walk up to someone unsuspecting and say..."See!! Spit!! Yep!! Your's looks like mine!! We are related!!: :lmoa:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm a Euromut ....

lol no pedigree ...

my grand parents were all born in the US but the family history is wide spread

one side came over in the 1500's .... English Muts
.... the other lost a barony in Germany when there were no male heirs ... German + others

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Meanwhile the other friend I got the kit for is adamant about NOT submitting a DNA sample, she's afraid it will sit in some govnerment file or something and ist all about "big brother" :banghead: :lol:

There is no guarantee that it won't be.

I'll take that risk, I havent done anything wrong. :lol:

ESPECIALLY about what may be illegal in the future.

you do not have to have done anything Illegal ... watch the Movie Gattaca

In "the not-too-distant future", liberal eugenics is common and DNA plays the primary role in determining social class. Vincent Freeman is conceived and born without the aid of this technology. He has a high probability of developing mental disorders, is myopic, has a heart defect, and his projected life expectancy is only 30.2 years. His parents initially placed their faith in natural conception and now regret it; Vincent's younger brother, Anton, is conceived with the aid of genetic selection. Anton surpasses his older brother in many aspects including a game that they call "chicken": both swim out to sea, and the first to give up and swim back to shore is the loser. Anton always wins due to his superior physical stamina. Vincent dreams of a career in space but is constantly reminded of his genetic inferiority. Later as young adults Vincent challenges Anton to the game of chicken. This time it is Vincent who pulls ahead while Anton runs into trouble and begins to drown. Vincent saves him, then leaves home shortly thereafter.

Due to frequent screening, Vincent faces genetic discrimination and prejudice. The only way he can achieve his dream of becoming an astronaut is to become a "borrowed ladder", a person who impersonates a "valid" with a superior genetic profile.[2] He assumes the identity of Jerome Eugene Morrow, a former swimming star with a genetic profile "second to none", who had been injured in a car accident, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. Vincent "buys" Jerome's identity and uses his "valid" DNA in blood, hair, tissue, and urine samples to pass screening. To keep his identity hidden, he must meticulously groom and scrub down daily to remove his own genetic material and then dust himself with Jerome's. With Jerome's genetic profile Vincent gets accepted into the Gattaca Aerospace Corporation, the most prestigious spaceflight conglomerate, with a DNA test being the entire interview process. He becomes Gattaca's top celestial navigator and is selected for a manned spaceflight to Saturn's moon Titan. A week before Vincent is to leave on the one-year mission, one of Gattaca's administrators is found bludgeoned to death in his office. Police discover an eyelash of the real Vincent on the premises, making him the prime suspect. A paper cup used by Vincent is also found after he gave it to Caesar the cleaner.

[clip]

In 2004, bioethicist James Hughes criticized the premise and influence of the film Gattaca,[22] arguing that:

Astronaut-training programs are entirely justified in attempting to screen out people with heart problems for safety reasons
In the United States, people are already discriminated against by insurance companies on the basis of their propensities to disease despite the fact that genetic enhancement is not yet available
Rather than banning genetic testing or genetic enhancement, society needs genetic information privacy laws that allow justified forms of genetic testing and data aggregation, but forbid those that are judged to result in genetic discrimination (such as the U.S. Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act signed into law on May 21, 2008). Citizens should then be able to make a complaint to the appropriate authority if they believe they have been discriminated against because of their genotype.

DNA testing / Screening taken to the extreme ....

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
This intrigues me only because we know nothing of my paternal grandfather; however, I read this on the 23 and Me site, "Paternal lineage is only scientifically possible for male members." Does that mean that I won't be able to garner any information about paternal lineage? I have a feeling I won't be able to get my brother to do this; he's not fond of anyone having his fingerprints so there's no way in hell he'd fess up his DNA. :lol: