Mark 9:38-41 Whoever is Not Against Us is for Us

hotcoffee

Whoever Is Not Against Us Is for Us

Mark 9:38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

In one of the commentaries I read, the author was saying that Jesus was finding fault with the disciples. I don't see it that way.

This was all brand new.... In the beginning of the Spread of the Good News... there was Mary, Joseph, and the Angels. Before there was John the Baptist... there was Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.... that was only 33 years before this conversation had taken place.

The disciples had only been with Jesus for 3 years. Until this verse... they're too busy themselves, healing, serving bread and fish, and rowing back and forth across the Sea of Galilee.

Now the Good News is starting to spread into second and third degrees. The disciples went to Him right away. The reason I say that, there was only one man. I think the disciples had every right to ask that question. He just told them that they should not do that again. I didn't see a quick harsh rebuke or anything. Just teaching.

They didn't know. Angels didn't talk to the disciples...that task was assigned to Jesus. They learned from Him, through His Works and His Teaching....

I think this is almost a celebratory kind of meeting.

Look at the positive spin Jesus put on the verse "the enemy of my enemy".... or "anyone that's not for me is against me".... Jesus says "whoever is not against us is for us"

Can you own that verse? Mark 9:40

"whoever is not against us is for us"
:coffee:

Last edited: