cry baby award

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by mojorisin
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/04/national/main615529.shtml

What do you think should happen to the coach?

I think a public apology for handing out the trophy is plenty, and the kid should get his certificate and trophy same as his teammates.

I don't disagree with the kid getting crap for being a whiner, if he was one, but this sort of stuff should be handled in the locker room, not in a public ceremony.

Re: Re: cry baby award

Originally posted by sleuth14
I think a public apology for handing out the trophy is plenty, and the kid should get his certificate and trophy same as his teammates.

I don't disagree with the kid getting crap for being a whiner, if he was one, but this sort of stuff should be handled in the locker room, not in a public ceremony.
:yeahthat: I've got no problem with telling the kid he's a crybaby in the locker room, but doing so in front of everybody at an awards ceremony was totally uncalled for. I don't think he should be fired, but he should be suspended w/o pay and forfeit the raise and never be allowed to coach again.

newnickname

I think public humiliation is the only way to get through to kids. I bet that Terrence will think twice before acting like a premadonna again.

On the other hand, he really doesn't have much of a chance with the name "Terrence" to be anything but a whiner. I'd whine with a name like that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:duh: That kid's lucky he didn't go to my summer camp when I was a kid. We used to get all kinds of awards at week's end, INCLUDING the "Crybaby Award". None of us were scarred for life - it was more of a teasing, funny thing. One year I was the proud recipient of the "Sit Down and Shut Up" award. :diva:

If the kid doesn't want to get the Crybaby Award, he should quit being a crybaby. But how do the parents respond to the boy being called a crybaby? By being crybabies themselves. :duh:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
:duh: That kid's lucky he didn't go to my summer camp when I was a kid. We used to get all kinds of awards at week's end, INCLUDING the "Crybaby Award". None of us were scarred for life - it was more of a teasing, funny thing. One year I was the proud recipient of the "Sit Down and Shut Up" award. :diva:

You make some good points. How did you know that the camp counselors were really teasing when they handed out the awards? Was it intended to be light-hearted criticism, to suggest that maybe you should be more quiet? "Sit Down and Shut Up" sounds like they were saying, "You're an azzhole and we all hate you." No one wants to be the person who doesn't know that everyone views him or her as a jerk.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tonio
How did you know that the camp counselors were really teasing when they handed out the awards? Was it intended to be light-hearted criticism, to suggest that maybe you should be more quiet? "Sit Down and Shut Up" sounds like they were saying, "You're an azzhole and we all hate you."
No, they DEFINITELY wanted me to sit down and shut up. I doubt they hated me but they were perplexed by my outspoken ways. When I came back the second year, my camp counselor told me that they drew straws and loser had to have me in their bunk. :lol: It was all in good fun and I wasn't scarred for life.

But this was in a different time, when kids and parents weren't such a bunch of crybabies.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
It was all in good fun and I wasn't scarred for life.

But this was in a different time, when kids and parents weren't such a bunch of crybabies.

I appreciate that.

My point was this--if you have a spot of dirt on your face, you don't know until you pass a mirror or someone else points it out to you. We don't have mirrors for our personalities. We don't really know how we come across to other people. Most people choose to ignore or avoid jerks, because it's not worth their time or energy to help others realize that they need to change their personalities. Back in high school and college I came across like Cliff Claven, because I was insecure around people and it was easier to talk about insignificant facts than it was to talk about myself. And I didn't realize what I was doing for years.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I appreciate that.

My point was this--if you have a spot of dirt on your face, you don't know until you pass a mirror or someone else points it out to you. We don't have mirrors for our personalities. We don't really know how we come across to other people. Most people choose to ignore or avoid jerks, because it's not worth their time or energy to help others realize that they need to change their personalities. Back in high school and college I came across like Cliff Claven, because I was insecure around people and it was easier to talk about insignificant facts than it was to talk about myself. And I didn't realize what I was doing for years.

Not true. We should learn to be responsible for ourselves and not have to have others point out our mistakes. If they do then that's our fault for being blind to it. I for one know I'm not perfect (someone better hurry up and quote this to capture that) and can tell you more of my faults then you can. It just so happens that I've become very fond of some of my "faults" and aren't willing to change them therefore it annoys me when someone else points them out because I could really give a crap less what they think; I'm not changing. Regardless though, I can't get upset with the person that points them out. Annoyed yes but not "offended". Besides it's all point of view anyway. What one person may find crybabyish in this kid another may not.

nomoney

Originally posted by pixiegirl
Not true. We should learn to be responsible for ourselves and not have to have others point out our mistakes. If they do then that's our fault for being blind to it. I for one know I'm not perfect (someone better hurry up and quote this to capture that) and can tell you more of my faults then you can. It just so happens that I've become very fond of some of my "faults" and aren't willing to change them therefore it annoys me when someone else points them out because I could really give a crap less what they think; I'm not changing. Regardless though, I can't get upset with the person that points them out. Annoyed yes but not "offended". Besides it's all point of view anyway. What one person may find crybabyish in this kid another may not.

I read a study somewhere and it was talking about the statement "I for one", It stated that whenever someone felt the need to use "I for one" in almost every single disagreement or post is most likely full of themselves.....or was it full of shiat??
either way-same thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonio, what one person finds obnoxious and unappealing, another person will marry you for. You can't live your life trying to please other people.

it's not worth their time or energy to help others realize that they need to change their personalities.
Someone needing to "change their personality" is really a matter of opinion, isn't it? If you're happy with your personality, why would you try and change it to benefit others?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by nomoney
I read a study somewhere and it was talking about the statement "I for one", It stated that whenever someone felt the need to use "I for one" in almost every single disagreement or post is most likely full of themselves.....or was it full of shiat??
either way-same thing.

And your point is???? You for one should know I don't care. :kiss: :lol:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Someone needing to "change their personality" is really a matter of opinion, isn't it? If you're happy with your personality, why would you try and change it to benefit others?

You mean there isn't an objective, society-wide definition of what constitutes a jerk?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You mean there isn't an objective, society-wide definition of what constitutes a jerk?
Not that I'm aware of. Hell, we can't even agree in this country what should be against the law - how are we going to agree on undesireable personality traits?

SOCIO

A public apology is definately in order...The coach was out of line. He may have thought it was all in fun but the focus of his joke was a child who was already in period of looking for acceptance and begining the long ugly road of keeping up appearances to look good...An award like this could lead some to drastic self-inflicting measures...Only bullies and smug folk would thik otherwise...Besides..he was the coach, everyone look up to the coach and he knows that...shameful...well hey...at least no one was sodomized

SamSpade

I'm partly on the side of the kid in this - the coach shouldn't publicly humiliate a member of his team. Just because some of us have experienced this doesn't mean that we wouldn't have done something had we opportunity. I had a boss who used to do this sort of thing to me, in a large office, every single day. (And I wasn't even overweight then).

*CHILDREN* can be merciless enough - what kids like Terrence don't need is for the adults in charge to take the side of the children ALSO.

Now I'm gonna say something a little outrageous - this is how Columbines get started. It IS possible to torment a normal child enough that they start to do violent and crazy things. I shudder to think what I might have done, had I access to guns as a teenager. Within my family, it DID become a dangerous powder-keg, and I'm not going to say more on that. When you're the kid being tormented, it sure doesn't help if the adults are ganging up on you, too.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SamSpade
Now I'm gonna say something a little outrageous - this is how Columbines get started. It IS possible to torment a normal child enough that they start to do violent and crazy things. I shudder to think what I might have done, had I access to guns as a teenager. Within my family, it DID become a dangerous powder-keg, and I'm not going to say more on that. When you're the kid being tormented, it sure doesn't help if the adults are ganging up on you, too.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2099203

According to this article, the FBI has refuted the whole "outcasts who had enough" theory.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SamSpade
The FBI needs to talk to my family because they didn't "refute" anything.

I understood that. The article was talking specifically about the Columbine killers.