Gun turn in 5/11/13

Chris0nllyn

b23hqb

PREMO Member
“Any Marylander who has a gun that is no longer wanted will be able get rid of it safely, no questions asked,” said Attorney General Gansler. “Our goal is to provide a simple means for families to make their homes and communities safer. I want to thank the Maryland State Police and the many county and local law enforcement agencies for their hard work building safer communities throughout Maryland and making this statewide public safety event possible.”

How to get rid of a gun safely? Just sell the silly thing, and for a better price than MD will offer you.

What a joke.

Control. Control. Control.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
You really don't want a gun that has been used in a robbery. The second after you buy they will do a check.

Odds are any long guns would be good and odds are NOBODY is going to walk into the police station with a gun they used to commit a crime

Inkd

I have a friend who is an FFL dealer. If I was back home I would go there with him and a wad of cash and buy everything that looked decent.

DannyMotorcycle

how are they going to check if it's been used in a robbery? Do they have serial numbers of guns used in robberies, but not the persons name?

dan0623_2000

Gun Drop

I notice there is no information being posted about what happens to the weapons once they are dropped off.
His majesty the govner going to sell them to help with his fiscal problems??

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I notice there is no information being posted about what happens to the weapons once they are dropped off.
His majesty the govner going to sell them to help with his fiscal problems??

If it goes like previous ones in Baltimore they'll be taken to a crusher and then melted down.

How many classics will be melted because the owner doesn't know any better?

Goldenhawk

The irony of these gun buybacks is that for the most part the only people disarming themselves are the ones who already respect the law. As a result, the ratio of [illegal guns in the hands of thugs] to [unarmed and unprotected citizens] climbs even higher. The police are NOT doing themselves or the public any favors, and the thugs see the the odds improving for themselves.

Okay, a FEW illegal guns probably get turned in, but the percentage is quite small. What crook in his right mind would go NEAR such a collection of officers, even if a few gift cards were the possible outcome? And any smart police department will be watching the event VERY closely, even if they SAY it's anonymous. Most will collect ballistics data from each and every gun they take, and compare those ballistics to unsolved crimes. See here:
JURIST - Paper Chase: Phoenix police holds gun buyback before gun resale law takes effect (they DO collect ballistics)
The Jersey City Independent» Featured News » Jersey City’s Latest Gun Buyback Takes in 164 Weapons (they DO collect ballistics, but it's very rare to connect a buyback gun to a crime)

So if you have a legal gun, and want to voluntarily disarm yourself, PM anyone on this thread and I'm sure they can work out a VERY equitable deal to give you MUCH more for your weapon than the police ever would... and you'll know it's going to a loving home where it will be cherished and stored in a proper gun safe and only used to protect a family, instead of being melted down and doing nobody any good.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Maryland isn't paying ANYTHING for turned in guns, they're just doing the citizens a favor by disposing of excess unwanted firearms

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Nothing. You can buy shotguns/rifles there, and leave with them. For regulated guns, you'll have to go inside and fill out papaerwork, then meet back up with that person 8 days later.

I'm thinking about doing it at the Prince Frederick Barracks.

I'm not an FFL it would be a private sale... Would that still apply ( today)?