Did my good deed for the day

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
As I was driving into work this morning, I saw an injured deer on the side of the road just before Chip's Towing. It was sitting right on the white line of the shoulder and right lane. It wasn't struggling to get up nor seemed concerned that cars were within inches of it. Must have been in shock. I thought about pulling over and calling the Sheriff's Office but I figured that wasn't very safe so I drove onto the Wawa in Dunkirk and called. They said they had a unit in the area and would check it out. I'm sure that the deer either got hit and killed since I had passed it or that it will likely cause a car accident with people trying to avoid hitting it and ending up going into the left lane. But... at least I did my part in trying to help it or try to prevent a more miserable death (pretty sure the Deputy will shoot it) by getting hit again and not killed instantly. Or having a major car accident where people end up the victims.

ZARA

:buddies:

I always drive slower than normal when it's dark because I am paranoid of hitting any animal. I would cry my eyes out. Good Karma for you!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
:buddies:

I always drive slower than normal when it's dark because I am paranoid of hitting any animal. I would cry my eyes out. Good Karma for you!

It was really weird how calm the deer was while being that close to the road. That's why I suspect it was in shock. Looked like it was just relaxing in a field of grass. I've seen deers right after getting hit and they are frantically trying to get themselves up on their feet and out of the road. This one didn't. No reaction whatsoever.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It looked calm because it likely wasn't able to move. Broken back possibly.

And don't hope a Deputy shoots it. There's no telling how many people in cars he'd hit trying to shoot a stationary target on the ground. Most cops can't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 ft.

More seriously (or is it) they won't put a deer down in full view of hundreds of people during morning rush hour. Can you imagine the outrage we'd have in the newspapers and on this Forum?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
It looked calm because it likely wasn't able to move. Broken back possibly.

And don't hope a Deputy shoots it. There's no telling how many people in cars he'd hit trying to shoot a stationary target on the ground. Most cops can't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 ft.

More seriously (or is it) they won't put a deer down in full view of hundreds of people during morning rush hour. Can you imagine the outrage we'd have in the newspapers and on this Forum?

Didn't say I hoped it would be shot. Just figured that was normal protocool in that situation.

My husband and son came upon an injured deer on Hollywood-Leonardtown road late one afternoon; they called the police and a deputy came out and "dispatched" of it quickly so that it didn't suffer any more. I hope that whoever responded to the OP's call didn't hesitate to help the deer simply because s/he was worried about being seen by passersby.