Morning Shows Binge on Tabloid Criminal Trials

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Morning Shows Binge on Tabloid Criminal Trials: 56 Minutes vs. 7 for Benghazi Hearings

The network morning shows on Thursday went into tabloid overdrive for the Jodi Arias verdict and an abduction case in Ohio, offering a staggering 56 minutes of coverage. In contrast, NBC, CBS and ABC allowed just under seven minutes combined to hearings on the 2012 terrorist murder of a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans in Libya. This is a disparity of eight-to-one.

Good Morning America proved to be the least interested in the national security issues raised by Benghazi. The morning show devoted 19 minutes to the Arias conviction and the kidnapping of three women in Ohio. Yet, whistleblower testimony in Washington D.C. warranted a mere 53 seconds. The four hour-long Today show on NBC spent 27 minutes on the two cases and a scant two and a half minutes on Libya. The most balanced network turned out to be CBS.

CBS This Morning offered a restrained nine minutes and 47 seconds to Arias and the Amanda Berry case. Despite the fact that the program is half the length of Today, CBS had the most Libya coverage, three minutes and 21 seconds.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
The most balanced network turned out to be CBS.

CBS This Morning offered a restrained nine minutes and 47 seconds to Arias and the Amanda Berry case. Despite the fact that the program is half the length of Today, CBS had the most Libya coverage, three minutes and 21 seconds.

This wouldn't come as a shock to anyone who actually watched CBS News. They've been balanced the whole time. But a whole lot of righties are going to continue to believe they're covering-up for Obama because FOX News says CBS hasn't covered Benghazi at all.

tom88

Morning Shows Binge on Tabloid Criminal Trials: 56 Minutes vs. 7 for Benghazi Hearings

The network morning shows on Thursday went into tabloid overdrive for the Jodi Arias verdict and an abduction case in Ohio, offering a staggering 56 minutes of coverage. In contrast, NBC, CBS and ABC allowed just under seven minutes combined to hearings on the 2012 terrorist murder of a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans in Libya. This is a disparity of eight-to-one.

Good Morning America proved to be the least interested in the national security issues raised by Benghazi. The morning show devoted 19 minutes to the Arias conviction and the kidnapping of three women in Ohio. Yet, whistleblower testimony in Washington D.C. warranted a mere 53 seconds. The four hour-long Today show on NBC spent 27 minutes on the two cases and a scant two and a half minutes on Libya. The most balanced network turned out to be CBS.

One of the things which bothered me when I read this was it wasn't answered how much time Fox spent on the story in the morning. I understand that it said Fox let the hearings play during the day, but I would be curious to see how much time they spent on it during the same time frame that they are talking about the other networks. It just seems to me if the story is going to have credibility they would have given the stats from all four networks during the same time period. :whistle:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
One of the things which bothered me when I read this was it wasn't answered how much time Fox spent on the story in the morning. I understand that it said Fox let the hearings play during the day, but I would be curious to see how much time they spent on it during the same time frame that they are talking about the other networks. It just seems to me if the story is going to have credibility they would have given the stats from all four networks during the same time period. :whistle:

When I watched the testimony on FOX News for about two hours, I finally tired of the Democrats trying to absolve Obongo. So I'd say FOX News may have beat the total coverage by all the network programming (including the non-news programs). :whereistheslamdunksmiley:

tom88

When I watched the testimony on FOX News for about two hours, I finally tired of the Democrats trying to absolve Obongo. So I'd say FOX News may have beat the total coverage by all the network programming (including the non-news programs). :whereistheslamdunksmiley:

First, if you watched testimony for two hours about this you really should examine your life choices. Second, I am sure Fox had more coverage, but in the interest of fairness I think they should have shown how much coverage each had during the same periods.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
First, if you watched testimony for two hours about this you really should examine your life choices. Second, I am sure Fox had more coverage, but in the interest of fairness I think they should have shown how much coverage each had during the same periods.

Man, if you don't believe this is a big as Watergate, you'd better re-examine your life choices. During Watergate you couldn't even see a toilet paper commercial without people screaming about not seeing Senator Sam Irvin for those two minutes.

tom88

Man, if you don't believe this is a big as Watergate, you'd better re-examine your life choices. During Watergate you couldn't even see a toilet paper commercial without people screaming about not seeing Senator Sam Irvin for those two minutes.

Ok I examined my life choices. As a rule, I spend my work day working. Occasionally I will read a forum to take my mind off of something and perhaps even respond. I do not, nor will I spend my day watching two hours of any testimony from a congressional hearing.

As far as scandals go, I think a much bigger scandal with this administration is the fast and furious scandal. Who knows though, maybe this will be as big as Watergate.

That still has nothing to do with the one sided reporting from either the left or the right on this issue, which is what I brought up. If I were going to categorize myself as being on the left or the right, I would fall on the right. This is why I feel it even more important that the story is reported correctly and fairly. If we are going to talk about morning television and who had what in the "morning" then don't you feel it is important to keep all the facts consistent.

You only lend credibility to the other side who is saying this is just spin when you report that CBS has so many minutes in the morning and ABC has so many minutes in the morning and NBC has so many minutes in the morning and then don't report what Fox Morning News has, but rather that they aired the hearings during the day.

PsyOps

Pixelated

And if you are paying more attention to things like the Jodi Arias trial (like MSNBC and the other MSM outlets did), than matters of national security then I think you need to examine your life choices.

The Benghazi thing is important on so many levels that I don’t think we Americans can afford to ignore it. I don’t think it can be overanalyzed. These are situations – where Americans died because of massive failures at the highest levels of our government – where not giving it due attention will result in it happening over and over. Not holding our elected and appointed ‘leaders’ accountable only gives them credibility they don’t deserve.

Last edited:

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
And if you are paying more attention to things like the Jodi Arias trial (like MSNBC and the other MSM outlets did), than matters of national security then I think you need to examine your life choices.

The Benghazi thing is important on so many levels that I don’t think we Americans can afford to ignore it. I don’t think it can be overanalyzed. These are situations – where Americans died because of massive failures at the highest levels of our government – where not giving it due attention will result in it happening over and over. Not holding our elected and appointed ‘leaders’ accountable only gives them credibility they don’t deserve.

I don't know who told you that MSNBC focused on Jodi Arias instead of other stories but it's not true. MSNBC had significantly less coverage of Jodi Arias than the other networks. It's not even close. In fact, I'd venture to say that even the broadcast networks had more coverage of Jodi Arias than MSNBC.

The reason I didn't watch CNN or FOX last week was because of the amount of coverage they had of that trial.