Interesting ...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
TERMINAL SPYING BEGAN ON MAYOR MICHAEL BLOOMBERG'S WATCH

It is like something out of a sci-fi/horror film. A huge corporation gets over 300,000 computer terminals into the offices of the most powerful people in the worlds of finance, politics, media, and even the Vatican. Then this huge corporation uses those terminals to snoop on its unsuspecting subscribers. And now we know that this nightmare began during the watch of Michael Bloomberg, who is now the mayor of New York.

Monday morning, Bloomberg News editor-in-chief Matthew Winkler confessed to almost everything in an editorial. Yes, Winkler admits, Bloomberg News reporters have been snooping into the activities of Bloomberg Terminal subscribers. And yes, the snooping included contact information, log-in information, and what their clients searched for (in other words: what they were interested in). Other outlets have reported that the snooping included chats between subscribers and customer service representatives.

Winkler also admits that this indefensible behavior was used by Bloomberg News reporters to hunt for scoops. For example, if an executive at a top financial firm hadn't logged on in a while that might tell a reporter that this individual is no longer employed, sick, or sleeping at his desk. Apparently, Bloomberg News used this secret information to break the news about a recent trading loss that cost Goldman Sachs billions.

But another key point Winkler makes is this…

Why did reporters have access to this in the first place? The recent complaints go to practices that are almost as old as Bloomberg News. Since the 1990s, some reporters have used the terminal to obtain, as the Washington Post reported, “mundane” facts such as log-on information.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
Let me make sure I have this right.

Goldman and others are pissed because someone gained an unfair advantage by poking at their Bloomberg Terminal habits?

Is that about right?

Goddam. This is rich.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
seems to me you sell someone a service, it should, I dunno be private ....

would you want Google Snarfing your Gmail for key words ....

... Oh wait

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss

I used to be a Bloomberg customer, but I don't recall what the end-user agreement was. It wouldn't surprise me if they promised not to sell your data, but I seriously doubt they conveyed a promise not to snoop. It is their data after all.

If you want to be private, you have to build yourself and use good crypto.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If you want to be private, you have to build yourself and use good crypto.

sure and anything on the 'public' networks is far from private, but this sounds like copying any search results for evaluation by your OWN personal

it just sucks .........

Pete

Repete

would you want Google Snarfing your Gmail for key words ....

... Oh wait

To be a sale, there must be consideration. I do not pay google therefor it is free use and not a sale.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
To be a sale, there must be consideration. I do not pay google therefor it is free use and not a sale.

Or as I like to say. If you are given something free of charge, you are not a "customer". You are the product being sold to their customers, aka advertisers.