New mower

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The deck on my faithful Wizard mower finally got to the point where I was worried about the engine and blade falling onto the ground so I'm in the market for a new 21 inch push mower.
Looked at Tractor supply, but a lot of their stuff is Chinese so Sears is currently in the lead with Brigs & Stratton or Kohler engines.

Any other suggestions?

jimfuel100

The deck on my faithful Wizard mower finally got to the point where I was worried about the engine and blade falling onto the ground so I'm in the market for a new 21 inch push mower.
Looked at Tractor supply, but a lot of their stuff is Chinese so Sears is currently in the lead with Brigs & Stratton or Kohler engines.

Any other suggestions?

This is NOT spam. Please read below. I printed off a 20% harbour freight coupon and purchased this mower a few weeks ago myself. $320 plus tax. I love the mower.

I didn't believe HD would take the coupon but I needed to pick up a few things and took one with me. As I walked in I asked the cashier if she would honour the coupon...she said yes and I left with the mower.

Unlike John Deere, the Honda mowers sold at HD are the exact same as Honda dealers.

Honda Lawn mower (HRR216K9VKA) - $349.99 or $314.99 w/ homedepot price match 03-22-2013 - Slickdeals.net

Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke-HRR216K9VKA at The Home Depot

You may do your lawn mower research where the pro's do theirs:

http://www.lawnsite.com/

Good luck with your decision.

jimfuel100

Didn't know you were so far from a Home Depot. The last link, lawnsite.com, could help you research mowers.

Good luck and...your welcome.

C

czygvtwkr

I saw a push mower with dual blades and a 31 inch cut this past weekend, have never seen anything like it before.

MarieB

We've had a Honda for years and have been very happy with it. They probably dont make the model anymore, but it's an HRB 216. I would assume that the replacement model would be just as good. We now quite a few people with Hondas, and I've never heard a complaint about them

C

czygvtwkr

Best mower I ever owned was a Homlite bought from Montgomery Ward in the late 80's. It had an aluminum deck, that was always the first part to go on any mower was the deck rusting out, that thing lasted forever.

Also had a cheapie Murry from Walmart that the manager let go for $100 because it was last years and it was Feburary, got 5 years out of it before the deck rusted out.

I'd say Craftsman, but they probably aren't made like they used to be. I bought a 21" push mower back in '84. Still starts in the first pull. Aside from a carb cleaning every few years and a new blade every so often, it owes me absolutely nothing.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Best mower I ever owned was a Homlite bought from Montgomery Ward in the late 80's. It had an aluminum deck, that was always the first part to go on any mower was the deck rusting out, that thing lasted forever.

Also had a cheapie Murry from Walmart that the manager let go for $100 because it was last years and it was Feburary, got 5 years out of it before the deck rusted out.

The Wizard was a monkey ward brand. Never did any maintenance other than sharpening the blade with the Dremal and topped off the oil once a year.
This pic is a couple years old. It rusted through in an arc behind the Wizard label and it was getting real flexy :lol:

Attachments

• Wizard.jpg
    Wizard.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 228
C

czygvtwkr

The Wizard was a monkey ward brand. Never did any maintenance other than sharpening the blade with the Dremal and topped off the oil once a year.
This pic is a couple years old. It rusted through in an arc behind the Wizard label and it was getting real flexy :lol:

Damn, that looks a little bit unsafe.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Love our Toro and it has been running strong for several years now. If you want to go big, they just released walk-behind mower with a 30 inch deck. Two passes on the yard and you are back in front of the TV with a beer. (Really though, either Toro or Troy Built are probably the best value). Honda has a really bad rep and rating. My brother had one and was ready to blow it up before he moved way far west and got rid of it. He said that everything he read about the bad qualities (after he bought it) were all true.

bcp

In My Opinion

Did you try duct tape?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Any other suggestions?

I really like the Husquervarna I got from True Value a few years ago, it's got a Honda engine also. I see that lowes is selling Husquervarna this year, so I suspect that MTD has bought another brand name.

glhs837

Power with Control

Theres your problem, you have to remove the built up grass from under the deck on a regular basis, that moisture laden grass is corrosions best friend. As you can see from the pattern, it rusted out most where the built up grass would have been the thickest.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Theres your problem, you have to remove the built up grass from under the deck on a regular basis, that moisture laden grass is corrosions best friend. As you can see from the pattern, it rusted out most where the built up grass would have been the thickest.

It was left at a place I moved into in '93 because it was old and they didn't want it anymore.

Got my money's worth :biggrin:

officeguy

I have gotten good service out of the basic Toro with the Briggs&Stratton engine.

Some of the Hondas have a plastic deck. Upside is that they dont rust, downside, well it's plastic and if they crack you are hosed.

softtouch

I thought that was a Western Auto brand.