Thoughts on underage drinking?

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
Do you think it's Acceptable for a parent to buy a minor (under 21) alcohol?

Here is an Example.

17-year-old kid is graduating from high school, parents buy kid and kids friends. Alcohol to drink in their home. Do you think that is acceptable?

SoMdDude

Nope, its still illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to consume alcohol, no matter where. If said parents get caught they can get fined and or arrested no?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Here is an Example.

17-year-old kid is graduating from high school, parents buy kid and kids friends. Alcohol to drink in their home. Do you think that is acceptable?

Who cares?
Kids will get it somewhere else.

MarieB

Here is an Example.

I am on the line with parents buying their own kids alcohol to consume at home in their own house, but i think that is too young

But never for other kids

MMDad

Lem Putt
Nope, its still illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to consume alcohol, no matter where. If said parents get caught they can get fined and or arrested no?

In MD it is legal for parents to give their own kids alcohol. It is not legal to give it to other kids.

terbear1225

You want to buy your own kids beer, i cant stop you. You give my kid booze and i will call the cops on you

Wenchy

Hot Flash
If the other parents were okay I would be okay. We would do the driving...or they would stay at my place.

As Dowhat said, they are going to do it anyway....somewhere else.

I did...what a surprise!

In 1982 the drinking age was 18 and then the state raised it to 21. I was the youngest student in my senior class. My friends could drink and I couldn't (legally) Out came a fake ID and many trips to Georgetown.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I guess because I see the PSAs all the time on TV here, I assumed it was everywhere.

Florida
Underage consumption of alcohol is prohibited with no exceptions.

terbear1225

Who cares?
Kids will get it somewhere else.

Thats a BS excuse to be lazy IMHO. The availability of ILLEGAL alchohol would be severely curtailed if fewer people believed this BS. WHERE IS THE "somewhere else". That most teens do their drinking? At the home of some parent that would rather be best buddies than parents. Would some kids still drink, probably, but a lot less would if their friends parnets werent offering to provide it for them

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Thats a BS excuse to be lazy IMHO. The availability of ILLEGAL alchohol would be severely curtailed if fewer people believed this BS. WHERE IS THE "somewhere else". That most teens do their drinking? At the home of some parent that would rather be best buddies than parents. Would some kids still drink, probably, but a lot less would if their friends parnets werent offering to provide it for them

I could vote at the age of 18 and even serve for the country. My birthday was 3 months away from the cut off. 18 and had to go to Georgetown.

I did field (keg) parties when I was 16 and 17...you think they don't now?

:elaine:

MarieB

If the other parents were okay I would be okay. We would do the driving...or they would stay at my place.

As Dowhat said, they are going to do it anyway....somewhere else.

I did...what a surprise!

In 1982 the drinking age was 18 and then the state raised it to 21. I was the youngest student in my senior class. My friends could drink and I couldn't (legally) Out came a fake ID and many trips to Georgetown.

That is a very risky scenario

Even getting it in writing wouldn't fly if something happened.

terbear1225

I could vote at the age of 18 and even serve for the country. My birthday was 3 months away from the cut off. 18 and had to go to Georgetown.

I did field (keg) parties when I was 16 and 17...you think they don't now?

:elaine:

I think it would be a lot harder to hav ethe parties if a supposed grown up wasn't helping to get the alchohol under the guise of "theyre going to drink anyway"

Wenchy

Hot Flash
That is a very risky scenario

Even getting it in writing wouldn't fly if something happened.

Very true. My point is the drinking age used to be 18 but we were already doing it at 16...back in the dinosaur age. Petrified member here. :howdy:

I think it would be a lot harder to hav ethe parties if a supposed grown up wasn't helping to get the alchohol under the guise of "theyre going to drink anyway"

Have you been drinking? :lol:

CRHS89

I find it completely ridiculous that an 18 year old is deemed mature and responsible enough to vote, get married and serve in the military, but not drink. Not getting into which age (18 vs 21) is more appropriate, but seems to me that whatever the age, drinking alcohol should be allowed at the same age as those other activities.

MadDogMarine

Here is an Example.

Do you think it is acceptable for the govt to send a minor(18) off to war so he has the chance to die for his country but that same country won't allow that individual buy and consume a beer because they are concerned about his health??

bcp

In My Opinion
Do you think it is acceptable for the govt to send a minor(18) off to war so he has the chance to die for his country but that same country won't allow that individual buy and consume a beer because they are concerned about his health??

No
if they are old enough to fight for my freedom to sit in a bar, or anywhere else and have a drink, then they should be old enough for me to buy them a drink at that bar or anywhere else that I might be having a legal drink.

as far as underage, no matter what you do, sooner or later peer pressure is going to catch up and they will give it a try.

the problem comes when that child is on various medications that react with the alcohol and you are not right there to assist, and those that could assist refuse.

ZARA

I have mixed feelings over this. I am high strung and extremely protective of my son. He is my Miracle and if anything ever happens to him, I will have to be locked away in a padded cell.

I have always been concerned that if he “got a taste” for alcohol he would become an alcoholic. It runs in the family on both sides.

Now that he is getting older I am trying not to shelter him so much but it’s hard because I don’t want him doing any of the stuff I did at his age. Now that he is nearing graduation and many of his friends are 21, alcohol is a serious concern of mine. I do not feel my son is mature enough to handle it but I am also logical and I can’t control his every action, as much as I would like to be able to.

Luckily, Thankfully, he and I have a very close relationship and we talk about these things openly. I have told him my preference that I don’t want him to drink but if it comes to it, I want him at home where I can make sure everything is ok. It’s more of a cop-out on my part because I know the odds of him drinking at home are next to nil, but in his mind he has that option which is safer than going out and risking his life with a bunch of stupid kids.

The parents of his friends are just as protective as I am and there is always a parental unit chaperoning everything the group does. All of us are retired military and a fairly close knit group.

I was 14 the first time I got drunk and I started going to bars when I was 16 but I want my son to be smarter than I was and learn from as many of my mistakes as he can instead of learning first hand.

But then there is the logical point that MadDogMarine brought up. If my son is mature enough to kill people in the service of our country, why is he not mature enough to have a beer to relax? He is mature enough to vote and make a lasting effect on how our country is ran but not mature enough to have a drink when he comes home from a hard day’s work? He is mature enough to own a gun, buy cigarettes, but not have a beer? The logical side of me does not agree with my emotional side. I know people that are old enough to be his grandparents and THEY are not as mature as my son is.

Bottom line for me, it’s my choice whether or not I allow my son to have a drink but if someone else offers it, there will be hell to pay.

~~When he turns 21 his dad and I have decided to take him to Vegas with his friends (that are of legal age) so they can have fun and we can be the body guards and DD's