Marines in Afghanistan lose a hot meal.

mamatutu

mama to two
The drawdown diet: Marines steamed by loss of hot meal at Afghanistan base - World News

I understand that they're drawing down, but seriously, there have to be a few other ways they could cut costs.

OMG, my husband was so incensed by this news (former Marine) that I thought I would have to restrain him! What a crock of ####! Obama doesn't really understand how unprotected he is; what a slimey bastard. If patriots weren't worried about there own/family well being, Obama would be a bloody spot in history. There I said it because I am already on the list. So, who gives a ####! Come and get me. :patriot:

Last edited:

ZARA

OMG, my husband was so incensed by this news (former Marine) that I thought I would have to restrain him! What a crock of ####! Obama doesn't really understand how unprotected he is; what a slimey bastard. If patriots weren't worried about there own/family well being, Obama would be a bloody spot in history. There I said it because I am already on the list. So, who gives a ####! Come and get me. :patriot:

Sometimes I swear they are trying to make all our Service men and women go nuts by taking away one more needed item. It's bad enough that many are relying on foundations for needed body armor (TroopsDirect - Support, Supply, Logistics God Bless these people) but now not even a hot meal to help temper the stress they are under 24/7?! I am thoroughly disgusted by this. What’s new..thanks for voting the wrong damn person in office.

Rommey

I wonder how Congress would like if their dining facilities in the Capitol were shut down and they only had MREs to dine on...day after day after day after day...(oh, and they can't leave the Capitol building and dine on the local economy either)

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I wonder how Congress would like if their dining facilities in the Capitol were shut down and they only had MREs to dine on...day after day after day after day...(oh, and they can't leave the Capitol building and dine on the local economy either)

Yea, right. It would be lovely though.

Foxhound

Finishing last
Okay this does suck. However per Snopes. Some military bases are cutting hot breakfasts. One hot meal a day has been dropped from the menu at selected military installations in Afghanistan.

I agree this is not where we should be looking to cut the budget. How about we cut some money from our criminal justice system. Maybe one less hot meal for those in prisons instead of our men and women oversees. Criminals deserve better treatment than out service members? I think not.

acommondisaster

I won't go near leftist website Snopes. Don't want them getting my clicks.

The original article does mention it is the breakfast meal, and explains the social importance of the meal, as it is the one time of day that the day and night shifts see each other. And as someone who has worked the night shift for 15 years, I can tell you that one person's breakfast is another person's dinner. So, l SNOPES can try to minimize it all they want, but it's still a cold meal. Let those arseholes at Snopes eat MRE's every day once a day for 6 months, if it's so insignificant of a sacrifice. I can't imagine that conditions are exactly luxurious at Camp Leatherneck, even by military standards.

Surely there are better places to cut costs during the drawdown - or to hell with it - DONT cut back on what little comforts they have at all. Surely, in a country where we spend millions on frivolous "studies", we can spend what little it takes to make sure these marines know they're remembered and appreciated while they're away.

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Where my hubby is over in Afghanistan, he can only get two boxes in the mail a month. Those little APO boxes don't allow for much, but I give a whole new meaning to "if it fits, it ships". I've actually gotten really good at packing those boxes with lots of good, somewhat healthy, easy to make stuff for him to eat. He says the food they do serve there isn't very good anyway and an MRE would probably be welcome.

Inkd

We were supposed to lose midrats June 1st but that's been delayed now till July 1st, supposedly.

In October we are supposed to lose lunch. It was going to be breakfast originally but I'm pretty sure that changed for some of the reasons already stated.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He says the food they do serve there isn't very good anyway and an MRE would probably be welcome.

When I was there we ate "local" and/or we ate MREs. Both had their good and bad points.:killingme

But that was a long time ago..

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
People, People, People! Listen Up! The usual contractor for field rations for the military has traditionally been Kellogg-Brown-Root. Also known as Halliburton. Now you can get some idea why this administration is so anxious to cut this contract to this contractor (assuming they still have it) based solely on the anxiety and emotional heartburn Dick Cheney gives the Donks.

ZARA

Where my hubby is over in Afghanistan, he can only get two boxes in the mail a month. Those little APO boxes don't allow for much, but I give a whole new meaning to "if it fits, it ships". I've actually gotten really good at packing those boxes with lots of good, somewhat healthy, easy to make stuff for him to eat. He says the food they do serve there isn't very good anyway and an MRE would probably be welcome.

:huggy:

Mine is a PR and he taught me how to pack. I am still humbled and impressed by my man's packing skills! lol

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The comments are interesting too

I wondered why i've seen this all over FB, forums, etc now

I think it was first reported sometime around Januray

On a side note, Babette?!

Foreal! I used to know a girl named Babette when I lived overseas. I should research her to see if I know her.