The Tides

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Sucked, sucked, sucked.

Went there for lunch today, which is a treat for me since I rarely go out for a mid-day meal, and especially for the cost involved for going to this place.

Big mistake.

The food was terrible.

I ordered Chicken Alfredo, and the plate presented to me was huge, but the portion on the place was just average. Why do they use such freakin' large plates anyway?

Regardless, the Chicken Alfredo was beyond horrible. Flavorless, barely seasoned, and vsually unappealing. I think I ate three bites of it (after I liberally applied much-needed salt), and I just couldn't eat any more of it.

The waitress asked if I wanted a box to take it home. "Uh, no, this was pretty awful, so I certainly don't want to take any home". She offers up an opportunity to order something else. "Uh, no. If you can't make something as simple as Chicken Alfredo without effin' it up, I don't trust you to make anything else that would be any better".

She brings the check.

The horrible Chicken Alfredo is still on the bill.

I have absolutely no reason to ever go to The Tides ever again.

How does that place stay in business? I've only eaten there maybe three or four times, but I have NEVER had a great, or even good, experience there. Why is that? I love food, and I love to eat, so it's not that I am some especially picky person. Why do they serve mediocre food, and how can that below-average food keep them in business. I am mystified.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've never been impressed with Tides, and don't get it. I'm right there with you :confused:

sockgirl77

Everyone I've talked to seems to say the same thing. Huge prices and tiny portions. I've never heard any rave reviews about the food. Yet, it always seems like a lot of business meetings are held there. My ex-boss smoozed quite a few investors there. :shrug:

Hmmmm.... "taste like roadkill" and memories of swizzle sticks come to mind...:starcat: Other than that... the memories of food so bland ketchup couldn't fix it come to mind too.... :dead:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My breadless "Ruben" (Don't sell it if you can't spell it??) was the same.. void of taste. Was edible but nothing I'd go out of my way to get again.

Sauerkraut was mushy and felt like old out of the can 'kraut.. corned beef was bland.. Green Beans tasted fresh out of the garden but other than that an unremarkable meal, and way overpriced.

The ONLY highlight was the Cream of Crab Soup.. but a person at the table ordered a cup, we ordered a bowl, and other than the design we could find NO difference in the size of either one.. Tasted good, but if you're going to charge me more for a bowl v a cup, at least give me MORE!! Not less, because if I wanted Less, I would have asked for less of more, and more of less is always, well MORE.. and more is always better. (unless it's their Chicken Alfredo)...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tides is great for happy hour and snackies but their food has always been overpriced suckage.

DynaDink

Average and below average food seems to be the norm in this area. Try to find a decent NY style pizza that does not include provolone cheese. For that matter, try to find authentic Italian food in this area. Olive Garden, NOT. DiGiovanni's, not even close.

sockgirl77

Average and below average food seems to be the norm in this area. Try to find a decent NY style pizza that does not include provolone cheese. For that matter, try to find authentic Italian food in this area. Olive Garden, NOT. DiGiovanni's, not even close.

BUT we have the best Chesapeake Bay seafood joints in the world. :yahoo:

I'm sure the server didn't prepare the food. :frown:

I would have asked to speak to the cook and told them that maybe they should be looking into another career path because cooking isn't their forte. :dead:

Might I suggest underwater basket weaving. :coffee:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

And if there was a really good Italian restaurant around here nobody would go to it because they'd be busy standing in line at the Applebee's.

DiGiovanni's is excellent and Niko's has very good pizza. You're not going to find NY style anything around here because guess what? This is Maryland, not New York. You're also not going to find TX BBQ or authentic Mexican or Jamaican jerk or kickass borscht for that same reason.

I personally think we need a Maid-Rite or Tastee, but I'll bet I never get one.

Jeter3000

And if there was a really good Italian restaurant around here nobody would go to it because they'd be busy standing in line at the Applebee's.

DiGiovanni's is excellent and Niko's has very good pizza. You're not going to find NY style anything around here because guess what? This is Maryland, not New York. You're also not going to find TX BBQ or authentic Mexican or Jamaican jerk or kickass borscht for that same reason.

I'd be tickled to death to have a Dairy Queen. Not a fan of Bruster's or Rita's. Speaking of overpriced...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

St. James deli makes a pretty good pizza.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Exactamundo! I haven't had great Neapolitan pizza since...well...since I left Naples, Italy in 1972. :shrug:

But I love pizza :yahoo: and I will eat all types of pizza!! (not all toppings, but all types: frozen, pan, hand-tossed, NY style, etc. etc.)